WGRZ says "You Pick Our New Logo"!

T.L. Hughes

WGRZ, Gannett's NBC affiliate in Buffalo, New York, is getting ready to change its logo; but it is letting viewers choose what it will look like. Monday, the station launched a poll on its website allowing people to vote on one of five proposed logo designs (which are all updated versions of the current logo used since 1998, except with blue and red rounded square backgrounds instead of the blue background with a larger lighter blue NBC peacock behind the traditional multicolor version of the peacock and Helvetica Extended "2" as in the current design, and the callsign and "On Your Side" slogan rendered in Eurostyle font). IMO, though, I'm not from Buffalo, but I kind of think the current logo is OK; if there is any Gannett station that needs a logo update, it would probably either be KUSA or WBIR.

I stumbled upon this on a page about WGRZ on Wikia's Logopedia (which me, along with a couple of other TVNewsTalk posters are members of) that was updated Tuesday morning with the information. What do any of you think of the proposed designs?

None of them look all that much better than their current logo, but I like number one and number four of the lot. However, I am sort of fond of their current logo, and if any Gannett station needs a logo refresh, it's WMAZ, not WGRZ...

Side Note! Do they still use that Brian Williams v/o?

None of them look all that much better than their current logo, but I like number one and number four of the lot. However, I am sort of fond of their current logo, and if any Gannett station needs a logo refresh, it's WMAZ, not WGRZ...

Side Note! Do they still use that Brian Williams v/o?

Nope, they went back to Roberta Solomon after a few months and used this open for a while.

But now, they went with a cold open.

I'm sorry, but Roberta Solomon should only be used on soft rock radio stations. Her voice just isn't strong enough for newscasts; it's one of the reasons I don't watch KSDK on a regular basis in St. Louis.

The logo used on the top of the page works best, but out of the suggestions I'd take number 3; The box makes the logo 'heavy.'

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived