Paula Faris headed to ABC 'World News Now'

Jase

From Robert Feder-

http://timeoutchicag...k#comment-34917

"Paula Faris, who’s been a shining star among Chicago television sportscasters, is the latest local luminary headed for network fame and fortune in New York.

Sources said the WMAQ-Channel 5 sports anchor/reporter is expected to be named co-anchor of World News Now, the ABC overnight news show. Faris also is expected to contribute occasional reports to ABC’s Good Morning America.

Although she wouldn’t confirm details of her new job, Faris, who turned 36 on Wednesday, said she plans to work at the NBC-owned station through the end of her contract in December before starting what she called a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” in early January."

Damn, another low blow to NBC5. First Ginger (GMA), Zoraida (CNN), Darryl (deceased), and now Paula...a rough year for management. Now they have to get another sportscaster, seeing as they only brought Mike Adamle on full-time instead of hiring new personnel.

Rumor has it that Comcast SportsNet will be taking over sports coverage for WMAQ/NBC5 in January 2012. If that turns out to be true, Mike and Peggy may be packing up and moving on also.

FYI- For some unknown reason, WFLD is looking for a Sports Reporter/Weekend Anchor. I guest they want someone permanent in the spot currently shared by Dan Jiggetts and Kerry Sayers.

There's a gentleman doing sports tonight on NBC named Eric Collins. I looked him up on Wikipedia, but I'm not totally sure if it's the same person (but I'm assuming it is)...http://en.wikipedia....s_(sportscaster)

I'm also assuming that he's just freelancing, but who knows? It could be the first of many on-air tryouts.

There's a gentleman doing sports tonight on NBC named Eric Collins. I looked him up on Wikipedia, but I'm not totally sure if it's the same person (but I'm assuming it is)...http://en.wikipedia....s_(sportscaster)

I'm also assuming that he's just freelancing, but who knows? It could be the first of many on-air tryouts.

Given his experience with multiple Chicago teams, I'd assume that's the same Eric Collins. Looks like he's been doing a lot of freelance and fill in work throughout his career trying to land a full-time gig somewhere. I guess he won't find one with WMAQ if they do indeed eliminate their sports department, though.

Speaking of the sports department issue, haven't some other O&O stations that have a CSN in town done this already? I seem to remember hearing that the Bay Area NBC O&O already made this move. Not sure about the status of Philly. Anyone know the info on this?

Archived