Fowler out as WFLD ND!!!!

Jase

FROM CHICAGO TRIBUNE

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-fox-chicago-news-director-to-depart-20120105,0,3458260.story

"Carol Fowler is out and Phyllis Schwartz is in as news director at Fox Chicago (WFLD-Ch. 32).

The station announced Thursday that Schwartz, a former news director at WLS-Ch.7, will oversee all editorial, business and administrative functions at Fox Chicago effective immediately."

Well it's about time! But the damage is done. Fox Chicago is a mess and even if Schwartz did come from the No. 1 station in the market, she has her work cut out.

Exactly, one has to ask if it's too late...but you cannot ignore the ABC7 backgorund. Corporate has been letting Fowler & Co. get away with murder lately, so I can only hope that Schwartz can be given similar freedom. With appropriate resources from the network, they can mount a little bit of a turnaround...maybe/probably not out of last place, but if some credibility can be established, more respectable ratings should follow.

Exactly, one has to ask if it's too late...but you cannot ignore the ABC7 backgorund. Corporate has been letting Fowler & Co. get away with murder lately, so I can only hope that Schwartz can be given similar freedom. With appropriate resources from the network, they can mount a little bit of a turnaround...maybe/probably not out of last place, but if some credibility can be established, more respectable ratings should follow.

I would imagine Schwartz asked for (and was given) the freedom to do whatever she wants. It's doubtful she would agree to anything less than total control (I know I wouldn't). Swanson likely made this appointment happen with no involvement/input from Renda. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Renda was told to stay away from the newsroom altogether.

No doubt, changes are coming, but it's going to take several months to undo all the damage done.

Thank goodness they have gotten rid of this stupid segment. I can only hope 'The Talker' and so much more are next on the list.

'Steve Dahl may have suffered collateral damage from last week’s shakeup at Fox Chicago. The ouster of Carol Fowler after three years as news director and her replacement by market retread Phyllis Schwartz coincided with the termination of Dahl’s Friday night commentaries after six months.' --Robert Feder

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/15078323/crain%E2%80%99s-video-updates-missing-leiter-touch

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Myers named as Asst. ND. @ WFLD-

http://www.mediabist...-at-wfld_b36763

"Christopher Myers has been named assistant news director at WFLD, the Fox O&O in Chicago, the company announced today. Myers, who is currently a senior consultant at rumorfix.com, will be reunited with recently-named WFLD news director Phyllis Schwartz. The pair worked together at both NBC O&O WMAQ, where Myers was an executive producer, and ABC O&O WLS."

Has anybody else noticed the new talent promos that WFLD just started airing. They are different than the WABC-type ones that they had since....maybe September. Maybe a sign of changes to come?

The text from the older promos was being cut off (either a aspect ratio issue or the result of switching from an engineering-based system to an IT-based system maybe ???) which justified the need for new ones.

Substantial changes are no doubt weeks/months away. Still a lot of behind-the-scenes issues to deal with. Reportedly, Schwartz laid down the law at her 1st staff meeting which likely lit a fire under some people.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Leiderman out as executive producer of WFLD 9 PM news

http://www.chicagotr...0,2587788.story

"Mike Leiderman stepped down Wednesday evening as executive producer of Fox Chicago’s 9 p.m. newscast. Leiderman informed his newsroom colleagues he was leaving after less than a year to pursue other interests, sources said."

Archived