NBC Today Show New Studio

jeggleston

When will the today show get a set upgrade? I remember awhile ago Kathie Lee and Hoda were in the Sat. Studio and they said "There are some big changes going on downstairs." That was about a month ago or so, but they've had this set since meredith came in back in 06.

When will the today show get a set upgrade? I remember awhile ago Kathie Lee and Hoda were in the Sat. Studio and they said "There are some big changes going on downstairs." That was about a month ago or so, but they've had this set since meredith came in back in 05.

the set was used since september 13, 2006 when the today premiered in high definition.

They in need of a new set. Both GMA and CBS morning shows had 2 different sets during the time period Today had this set. The age of the set shows but it the set was ahead of its time with the white paneling and lights the way local news sets are going toward. But morning shows are heading back to warm tones from both GMA and CBS This Morning sets. Whatever they are doing, i hope it's good.

The last time the Today show redid the entire set, they built a temporary outdoor studio on the plaza area to do the show from while renovations were being done (which took the entire summer to do, especially with the HD upgrades).

I do agree that they need to change things up over at Studio 1A, but if they do, I don't see how they could do it in the two weeks while Today is in London for the Olympics (unless they just do cosmetic updates).

I do agree that they need to change things up over at Studio 1A, but if they do, I don't see how they could do it in the two weeks while Today is in London for the Olympics (unless they just do cosmetic updates).

All they really need is a refresh, they were in the first version of 1A for about 11/12 years...so if they make some updates, they'd be good for another 5 years or so.

The last time the Today show redid the entire set, they built a temporary outdoor studio on the plaza area to do the show from while renovations were being done (which took the entire summer to do, especially with the HD upgrades).

It's not impossible to install a new set in under two weeks. The current Colbert Report set was installed in the two weeks the show was off the air for Christmas hiatus.

1A basically has a wall and windows, so there's really not a lot to worry about when it comes to installing a set. You basically have to put up the set walls for the interview areas, bring in a desk, decorate the performance area, and you're done.

It's not impossible to install a new set in under two weeks. The current Colbert Report set was installed in the two weeks the show was off the air for Christmas hiatus.

If "Regisless and Kelly" can completely rebuild their set in 3 weeks, and if any thinking and preparation were to take place at NBC, they could certainly do it 2 weeks...and even have some time to let the paint dry!

Good Morning America installed their set from last January in a weekend. Literally, 48 hours was all it took to install it and everyone saw it for the first time on Monday morning.

Good Morning America installed their set from last January in a weekend. Literally, 48 hours was all it took to install it and everyone saw it for the first time on Monday morning.

Are you sure? The old GMA set was on the second floor, giving them ample time to upgrade the downstairs before launching the set. Also, the set launched on a Tuesday, following Labor Day. If they did install that in the three-day weekend, that would be pretty impressive.

Are you sure? The old GMA set was on the second floor, giving them ample time to upgrade the downstairs before launching the set. Also, the set launched on a Tuesday, following Labor Day. If they did install that in the three-day weekend, that would be pretty impressive.

The set they had upstairs was redone in a weekend around 2010 just before Josh and Lara got on.

The reason it took so long to upgrade in 2006 was because the set wasn't the only thing being upgraded. The ENTIRE Studio 1A facility was gutted and rebuilt for high definition. New control room, new everything. It's actually amazing that it was all done in just 3 months.

I have no inside information, but logically, the best time to do a set refresh would be during the Olympics. All the anchors (even the weekend ones) will be in London for the Games for more than 2 weeks. It could be done in that time period with good planning, something NBC does rather well. We'll all find out together . . . .

• 1 month later...

All that set needs is a new main anchor desk, a new background for the main anchor desk (preferably a city skyline like what they had in the mid 80s-early 90s), and some new furnature and fixtures for the interview areas.

• 1 month later...

Frankly I think the whole thing needs to be thrown out and completely redone from scratch. But knowing NBC, they'd mos definietly hire out Clickspring/Black Walnut to do it, and it'll probably end up looking more modern and futuristic than laid back yet serious, "family like" and "morning like" like all of the other ones are (then again, their current one is alread sort of like this).

• 2 weeks later...

Attention all. An update for the talk of Today getting a new set. The is a picture surfacing on Instagram that shows Studio 1A covered with dark walls. An indication that a new set will be built and unveiled soon. To check it, go to Today Show Walls Blacked Out.

Archived