Confirmed >> KXAS moving, getting a new building.

jdcnow

In keeping with the wishes of late station founder Amon Carter, KXAS will still be a resident of Fort Worth, albeit, at a new address in far-east Fort Worth at the CentrePort Business Park near Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. It wil also be in a brand new building.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kxas-to-build-new-broadcast-facility-in-fort-worth_b51643

KXAS is set to begin construction this month on a 75,000 square foot broadcast facility in Dallas, the NBC O&O announced yesterday. The station expects construction to be completed on the $16 million studio by the end of 2013. The new location will also serve as the home of the Telemundo station in Dallas and smaller business associated with NBC Universal. About 300 employees will work in the new building. The new facility will be located at the CentrePort Business Park on Amon Carter Boulevard, which is named for the station’s founder.

• 1 year later...

The ribbon-cutting ceremony video is on their website, but from what I saw they were still broadcasting from the old facility.

Probably because they either haven't moved the two stations there yet (though all of NBCU's other operations might already be there), or they are in the process of building / rehearsing from their new digs to make sure everything is right first.

• 3 weeks later...

Dude. Wow! That looks less like a local television station and more like the world headquarters for some major company! THREE computers at the desk for the reporters in the newsroom? As far as I'm aware of, every reporter here only gets one. Although I'm still trying to figure out why some of those rooms need so many TV's...practically everywhere you'd walk there would be one.

But all I really want to see is their new news studio. That's it. It better be just as nice and epic as their new building on a whole is.

In keeping with the wishes of late station founder Amon Carter, KXAS will still be a resident of Fort Worth, albeit, at a new address in far-east Fort Worth at the CentrePort Business Park near Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. It wil also be in a brand new building.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kxas-to-build-new-broadcast-facility-in-fort-worth_b51643

75,000 square feet? That's about the size of your typical Kmart. That's huge for a TV station.

Hopefully this is a sign of an improved product in KXAS similar to what Comcast/NBC has done with their other NBC O&O's because their quality newscast have been so-so as of late compared to its competitors (KTVT and WFAA especially).

Including switching to Look F. Nexstar has used Look G for almost all of its NBC affiliates, which makes KXAS look like a Nexstar station.

They don't exactly have 3 computers, just 3 monitors powered by one computer. It makes sense with their IP-based video system as ideally one of the three monitors would be used for video, thus duplicating the popular setup of having two monitors and a TV.

The control room photographed by TVNewsCheck looks rather excessive in size. Not quite sure what the thought process was there.

Other than that it's a pretty modern building and seems to have lots of neat toys. The personal multiviewer thing sounds really cool.

3 control rooms...wow! What do you need 3 control rooms for? Also, do all 3 they have Ross Overdrive?

There are 4 production studios. Presumably 1 studio each for KXAS & KXTX. The other 2 studios one would assume are there for future syndicated productions and/or ancillary sets. Since KXAS & KXTX's newscasts will air concurrently it necessitates at least 2 control rooms. The third is there in case another production is taking place (in one of the 2 other studios) at the same time as the KXAS & KXTX newscasts.

I would assume they would be using Ross OverDrive since that is what NBC has been using at the O&O's.

Doesn't NBC have their backup master controls in Dallas or am I mistaken?

NBC O&O Master Control (along with some of the Telemundo O&O's) is hubbed in Atlanta at Encompass Digital Media.

NBC Artworks the creative services/graphics division of NBCU is housed in Dallas and will also make the move to the new building. Although, NBC Artworks does house staff at 30 Rock, too. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.

There are 4 production studios. Presumably 1 studio each for KXAS & KXTX. The other 2 studios one would assume are there for future syndicated productions and/or ancillary sets. Since KXAS & KXTX's newscasts will air concurrently it necessitates at least 2 control rooms. The third is there in case another production is taking place (in one of the 2 other studios) at the same time as the KXAS & KXTX newscasts.

I would assume they would be using Ross OverDrive since that is what NBC has been using at the O&O's.

NBC O&O Master Control (along with some of the Telemundo O&O's) is hubbed in Atlanta at Encompass Digital Media.

NBC Artworks the creative services/graphics division of NBCU is housed in Dallas and will also make the move to the new building. Although, NBC Artworks does house staff at 30 Rock, too. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.

I think he's talking about the NBC Network. Last I heard, the network can originate from New York, Dallas, or Los Angeles. This is used in situation like during the 2003 Northeast Blackout, when the major networks all shifted to their backup origination points in Dallas (According to Wikipedia). I haven't heard what they did during Hurricane Sandy, but I'd imagine they also shifted origination to these places or had them on "hot standby" just in case.

When the NBC O&Os hubbed their master controls, I believe they used three - I know one was at 30 Rock, there was probably one at Burbank, and the third one escapes me... Miami or Dallas?

Anyway, NBC Artworks is composed of a few different facilities, but the hub that creates the graphics for the O&Os - still internally called the Arthouse it appears - is in Fort Worth. They'll be making the jump to the new facility and probably getting some nifty new toys as well.

When the NBC O&Os hubbed their master controls, I believe they used three - I know one was at 30 Rock, there was probably one at Burbank, and the third one escapes me... Miami or Dallas?

Anyway, NBC Artworks is composed of a few different facilities, but the hub that creates the graphics for the O&Os - still internally called the Arthouse it appears - is in Fort Worth. They'll be making the jump to the new facility and probably getting some nifty new toys as well.

This article says NYC, Burbank, and Miami.

I think he's talking about the NBC Network. Last I heard, the network can originate from New York, Dallas, or Los Angeles. This is used in situation like during the 2003 Northeast Blackout, when the major networks all shifted to their backup origination points in Dallas (According to Wikipedia). I haven't heard what they did during Hurricane Sandy, but I'd imagine they also shifted origination to these places or had them on "hot standby" just in case.

Not that I doubt you as my memory is terrible sometimes. But, I don't recall this and, the only thing I can find is the wikipedia entry. Heck, I swore I remembered most of the nets running on backup generators then. I even remember Conan doing a few Late Night shows/segments virtually in the dark. The entry has me a bit skeptical, too. It states: "Many major U.S. networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX)...were unable to broadcast because of the lack of electricity in the New York City area, but back-up stations in Dallas and flagship transmitters there made it possible for prime-time television to be broadcast." I'm confused by this. First, why Dallas? Los Angeles is usually the primary backup to NY. Second, ABC doesn't have an O&O in Dallas. Third, FOX originates out of the FOX Network Center - LA so, not sure why they would have switched as the blackout had little impact on them. I don't even think NY serves in a primary backup role for FOX. I believe the FOX Network Center - The Woodlands provides primary disaster recovery.

WRT, NBC. They currently have Origination/MC points for there various network ops in New York, NY, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Los Angeles & Universal City, CA and Centennial, CO. Nothing in Dallas. So, I don't expect KXAS serve in any "backup" capacity.

Not trying to be a smartass, If you have an article to read on this event I'd genuinely be interested. I'd really love to read about the how/why if true. But, I did some google seaching and came up empty.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. Am I the only one that saw Devlin Design Group? There some elements that remind me of the KMSP set that Devlin did. I would have thought they designed this based on the pictures. I was surprised they didn't. Either way it's quite nice. I'm acutually a bit more curious to see how those 2 other studios get used in the future.

It looks like they got a new package as well based on this video:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/video/#!/news/local/Man-Killed-in-Struggle-Over-Stun-Gun/230380501

Interesting Look F hybrid. It looks very nice.

It does look nice, the music sounds the same (360). It's interesting, the full screen graphic does not even remotely resemble anything like Look F or G, while the L3 is a modified version of their previous pack. Curious to see if they are planning on refreshing Look F a bit (across the O&O's).

Archived