For real this time...WCNC building new set

swillh2k2

A couple of years ago, I posted that WCNC here in Charlotte would be debuting a new set, but it turns out what I thought was the temp set was actually their new one (IMHO, the one they had before that was much better).

Tonight I saw a promo during the Olympic Trials, and after 2+ years, they are building a new set. No word about HD but it's a long time coming for them (they're in widescreen while every other CLT station is in HD).

More updates soon...

Sometimes I wonder if Belo forgets they even own this station.

Considering that the vast majority of their stations are west of the Mississippi River, it's entirely possible. Do WHAS or WVEC have similar problems?

Considering that the vast majority of their stations are west of the Mississippi River, it's entirely possible. Do WHAS or WVEC have similar problems?

Belo definitely treats the Texas stations better than the East coast. But to be fair, WCNC is losing money and has been for a while. Even though the cost to convert their news to HD would be a lot less now than a few years ago, it would still take a long time to see a return on that investment with WCNC. Everyone wants to see HD newscasts, but going HD won't do anything to their ratings.

The 4:00 streams online so I will post updates on any music/GFX changes along with the new set (unlikely since they just changed them a few months ago). Should have screencaps/video from the 6 later on tonight (currently at work).

Some sneak peeks from anchor Dion Lim and chief met Brad Panovich. Looks good so far! In the video the logo on the screens say "NBC Charlotte" so I wonder if that will be their new branding? Their bug currently rotates from their 36 logo to NBC Charlotte.

https://twitter.com/...9609473/photo/1

http://twitpic.com/a8eir7

http://www.telly.com/VTFSS?fromtwitvid=1

4:00 just started. Same open, GFX, music and branding. Set is very sleek and modern...definitely the best in town. They finally have a decent weather center now!

No HD in case you're wondering--but that was to be expected.

I will ask my dads friend, Ira, if they are going to go full HD. So far not.

Are you referring to Ira Cronin?

BTW, my first look at the set was through their online streaming. Having seen it at home, it shows up very poorly in widescreen SD. HD would work wonders for them visually.

Still a very nice set, but the full effect of it won't be seen until they go HD. I assume it's HD ready, though.

• 7 months later...

Archived