Willie Geist to Co-Host Third Hour of ‘Today’

jtgh922

Rumor had it that Matt's most recent deal which was signed this year is worth 5 years, which at that point (2017) would give him 20 years as co-anchor of Today, and 23 years with the show if you count his years as news anchor. Despite recent events, he was at the helm of the # 1 morning show for most of his term, and he'll be the lonest serving morning show host in TV history, beating Joan Lunden by about 3 years. What else could he possibly accomplish at Today? Barring some unforseen circumstance, such as Brian Williams leaving NBC and Matt replacing him, I would bet my paycheck Matt leaves at the end of his current contract. Their is nothing for him to do at NBC but be the co-host of Today, and I'm sure he has dreams of furthering his career, such as anchoring the evening news. If Willie Geist can hold out until then, he should and probably will get the job.

Rumor had it that Matt's most recent deal which was signed this year is worth 5 years, which at that point (2017) would give him 20 years as co-anchor of Today, and 23 years with the show if you count his years as news anchor. Despite recent events, he was at the helm of the # 1 morning show for most of his term, and he'll be the lonest serving morning show host in TV history, beating Joan Lunden by about 3 years. What else could he possibly accomplish at Today? Barring some unforseen circumstance, such as Brian Williams leaving NBC and Matt replacing him, I would bet my paycheck Matt leaves at the end of his current contract. Their is nothing for him to do at NBC but be the co-host of Today, and I'm sure he has dreams of furthering his career, such as anchoring the evening news. If Willie Geist can hold out until then, he should and probably will get the job.

Very slim chance that Matt Lauer would ever be chosen to anchor the nightly news. If Brian Williams was to leave I'm sure the spot immediately goes to Lester Holt, David Gregory or maybe even Savannah Guthrie. Matt Lauer would not be included in that list.

Despite recent events, he was at the helm of the # 1 morning show for most of his term, and he'll be the lonest serving morning show host in TV history, beating Joan Lunden by about 3 years.

Didn't Charlie Gibson beat Joan by a year or two?

• 2 weeks later...

Joan left in 1997. Charlie left in 1998 but returned in 1999-2006, I believe? I think Charlie beats Joan by a year or so.

I meant continuously without leaving. Joan was at GMA continously from 1980-1997. Charlie's tenure was 1987-1998 & then 1999-2006. Matt's tenure will be 1997-2017 at the end of his current deal, making him the lonest serving morning show host in history.

Archived