BREAKING NEWS: News Director Bill Carey Leaving WPIX

PIXfan

So you all want PIX11 to go back to being like every other newscast in the market?

Are you out of your minds? This is why local newscast viewership is tanking.

I've seen Kaity fill in and personally think she's a great anchor, even with the current newscast format, and I'm sure Jim was great too, but how can you not appreciate what's been done at that news operation? Isn't it good they're not pumping out a carbon copy newscast with your big burly sports buff opining over how good/bad Team X is doing, the megasuperdoppler weather team in their megasuperdoppler weather center, and the "investigative" squad jamming microphones into the faces of bad mattress salesmen (I wish that one was fake but I've seen that report on FOX29 in PHL a few months ago)? Mocker is fantastic as a man-around-town ombudsman keeping an eye on city government, public spaces and mass transit, Howard comes off well as the consumer relations guy, Lionel and Mendte are examples of how much more informative commentary can be than your average 30 minutes at 11pm, and their stable of reporters as mentioned earlier in the thread, are fantastic in their roles as well. I can see the ridiculousness of Jim and Kaity being ditched out of nowhere, but Jodi is a great fit for the format. Most newscasters add their "witty" two cents at the end of softer stories anyway, the only difference at PIX11 is that it flows more naturally with the show.

Also, "The Day In Pix" segment is quite possibly the greatest segment of any local newscast in America right now. No flashy graphics, no makeup-caked anchors, no thunderous music- just a simple beat ,4 pictures of what happened in the world on that day, with a caption & location. Simple, succinct, perfect.

I really wish Tribune was pushing the PIX evening format out to their stations instead of the weak "Eye Opener" morning show.

That may be true in terms of reaching out to younger viewers, but the fact remains: NO newscast would ever pander to the younger viewers. Would you see Scott Pelley dress down and speak in slang just to reach the 18-34 demographic? Nope. So even though the ratings are in the cellar, the integrity is in the ceiling. That's the same with local news, if they're about reaching younger viewers then, that's just a waste of time and money...and I'm only 28!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the interim ND is finally doing something right at WPIX. They do have a long way to go, but it's a good step.

Also My9's The 10 O'Clock News is going a full hour tonight. It has been awhile since they have done that.

We'll see tonight if they do the 10 o'clock news from the studio again. I like it a lot more than the newsroom. The light blue neon light that surrounds the monitor screens at the back looks a little weird. It looks like they are sitting in a diner, or at Johnny Rocket. Otherwise, it's 100% improvement from the newsrroom.

From what I remember from watching, that was his style in Philadelphia as well

Never saw him in Philly. It's very awkward (to me at least).

But Larry makes Jodi a better anchor. They really feed off each other well. He and Kaity also did well together. I think it should be a permanent change.

Jodi and Larry spend way too much time chatting in between reports. It's almost like watching The View. I want more news, not opinions about if the marathon should be held or not, if the Red Cross is really helping out or not. It's great that they finally use the studio (at least this week), but I want more news, less talk.

Archived