BREAKING NEWS: News Director Bill Carey Leaving WPIX

PIXfan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way, I'm glad Bill Carey got his ass booted out the door, and deservedly so. The newscasts have been an absolute joke since he and Jodi came on board.

As for WPIX, the damage has already been done and they're gonna have a hell of a long way to go if they wanna gain their reputation back, as well as the viewers of course.

The only smart move by Carey is putting Lionel in the mornings. Lionel has energized the morning team in the early hours, the team has great chemistry.

How fast do you think until we see changes on the evening newscasts?

The only smart move by Carey is putting Lionel in the mornings. Lionel has energized the morning team in the early hours, the team has great chemistry.

How fast do you think until we see changes on the evening newscasts?

According to the article linked above, Carey will not be officially stepping down (unfortunately) until before the first sweeps of the new season this November. And even then, I would not expect changes to the evening newscasts until December, at the earliest.

Having seen a commentary of Lionel's via a livestream of WPIX's 10 p.m. news on Saturday, I think Lionel is best suited as a morning personality. His commentary style seems to mesh better for a morning newscast than the evening news, since morning news shows are supposed to be more laid back than an evening newscast. However as I posted on another thread in the "New York News" section, whether Lionel stays at WPIX could be in question now that Tribune plans on giving him a syndicated court show. It could be possible that he'll stay with the station and do the court show at the same time, but I have my doubts.

Furthermore, it also seems odd to me that WPIX airs Mets games, but doesn't have a sports department (just a one-minute sports segment at the tail end of the 10 p.m. newscast read by that evening's news anchor). Carey was responsible for creating this oxymoron as well by dropping the sports department.

The theme music and graphics don't fit a news program either. Though WPIX.com doesn't show lower third graphics on their livestreams, like Tribune's other stations do, some of the graphics I have seen kind of clash with the weather graphics from the 2006 package (which need a little facelift also). From the main opens that I've seen on YouTube, WPIX's GO graphics from 2006 looked much better than their current look. Whomever replaces Bill Carey as news director, may want to transition to a more contemporary, but traditional look and sound for the newscasts a la KTLA and WGN.

Thank goodness for WPIX kicking out Bill Carey, now that's been done, maybe WPIX will finally get back to its traditional news roots, (graphic and news music-wise, that is.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Bill the same person responsible for the "WCBS Massacre" in 1996?

Thank goodness for WPIX kicking out Bill Carey, now that's been done, maybe WPIX will finally get back to its traditional news roots, (graphic and news music-wise, that is.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Bill the same person responsible for the "WCBS Massacre" in 1996?

Yes, Bill Carey is indeed responsible for the 1996 "WCBS Massacre." In fact, according to the above linked FishbowlNY article, yesterday marked SIXTEEN years since the incident that sent seven staffers packing, including Tony Guida, Michele Marsh, and the late Reggie Harris.

The fact that he still was able to land another job as a news director is a testament to the old saying about the media business...

"It's not what you know, but WHO you know."

Carey fired those seven staffers in a move to shake up WCBS's newscasts and boost ratings as the station sank to last place for the first time in its history the year before. All seven were fired after that night's 6 p.m. newscast. John Johnson and Michelle Marsh (not sure which one, since only one would have done it) ironically signed off at 6 p.m. with the sentence, "We'll see you at 11". Neither was given a chance to say goodbye on-air.

PIX News at 10 with Sue Simmons?

As much as we would all like to see Sue Simmons back on air, or perhaps Kaity Tong get her old weeknight job back, I do not see either happening. WPIX would not hire Simmons in the first place, as she is 70 years old (according to her recent interview with Current TV's Joy Behar). And, in any case, I highly doubt that she would want to anchor the evening newscasts on Channel 11 in their current form.

Kaity is younger than Sue is, but not by much--she is 65. I believe that once her contract is up, she will be leaving as well. I could see Jodi Applegate (if WPIX decides to hold on to her) being paired with a male co-anchor, but there are virtually no choices in-house. Perhaps they could pair her with Craig Treadway, the only male anchor the station has left (he anchors 4-6 a.m. on the morning news), but again, I don't think that will happen.

Carey has really screwed up the news operation at Channel 11. His successor will have his or her work cut out. Hopefully that person is chosen VERY CAREFULLY.

I am not saying this to put either Sue or Kaity down. I like them both, but I am realistic. Unfortunately their days of being full-time are over.

I know that I'm in the minority but I'm sad to see Bill Carey go.

I love Jodi Applegate anchoring at 5 and 10pm because she seems to have positive energy and seems very friendly.

I enjoy watching Frances, Suki, Linda, Lionel, Craig,

Lisa, and Tamsen in the morning.

PIX is one of my favorite stations.

In addition to Bill Carey leaving WPIX, I still very strongly believe that general manager Eric Meyrowitz should leave as well. At this point, Channel 11 needs strong, decisive leadership, not only at the news operation, but in the front office as well. Unfortunately, that leadership has been sorely lacking, especially with Meyrowitz, who kept Carey in the fold despite plummeting news ratings, especially at 10 p.m.

If WPIX ever hopes to regain its reputation and viewers, there has to be a "regime change" altogether. Getting rid of Carey is good, but it does not solve the problem. Meyrowitz, who came to Channel 11 from sister station WDCW in Washington, D.C., which does not broadcast local news at all, may very well replace Carey with someone cut from the same cloth or worse (Let's hope that doesn't happen, though). He has no experience running a station that carries local news, and that has been evident in his treatment of Carey, who would have been fired by someone else for failing to deliver results following that massive news shakeup two years ago next Thursday.

If I were the executives at Tribune, I would certainly be looking at the management teams at all of their TV stations. Certainly, there are people more qualified to run WPIX than Meyrowitz. If he will not step down, he needs to be replaced.

There's one thing that I wish they do first. To stop using the newsroom for the 10 O'clock news. At least, use the studio, and a desk. It looks so unprofessionnal.

and less commentary, and reading tweets, would be nice.

Getting rid of Carey is one step in the right direction, and the GM very well might be next considering the issues that PIX has gone through these last few months (Cablevision dispute, age discrimination suit, etc) have occurred on his watch. Also, keep in mind, that you still have Steve Charlier who is the SVP of News and Operations at Tribune and Local TV. He's the one responsible for the newsfix format in Houston (as well as other Tribune stations), and he might have a say in what happens at WPIX. After all, he is leading the effort for Tribune to begin using virtual sets...http://www.tvnewsche...ets-to-the-test

Getting rid of Carey is one step in the right direction, and the GM very well might be next considering the issues that PIX has gone through these last few months (Cablevision dispute, age discrimination suit, etc) have occurred on his watch. Also, keep in mind, that you still have Steve Charlier who is the SVP of News and Operations at Tribune and Local TV. He's the one responsible for the newsfix format in Houston (as well as other Tribune stations), and he might have a say in what happens at WPIX. After all, he is leading the effort for Tribune to begin using virtual sets...http://www.tvnewsche...ets-to-the-test

Yes, this is EXACTLY what WPIX needs right now...A further cheapening of their news product through the use of a virtual set (sarcasm).

If I was a betting man, I would wager that Steve Charlier probably was appointed to his position at Tribune by the incompetent Sam Zell. Correct me if I am wrong!

Hopefully Nils Larsen, Tribune Broadcasting president, has the ULTIMATE say in what happens at Channel 11, NOT Charlier.

Yes, this is EXACTLY what WPIX needs right now...A further cheapening of their news product through the use of a virtual set (sarcasm).

If I was a betting man, I would wager that Steve Charlier probably was appointed to his position at Tribune by the incompetent Sam Zell. Correct me if I am wrong!

Hopefully Nils Larsen, Tribune Broadcasting president, has the ULTIMATE say in what happens at Channel 11, NOT Charlier.

While I agree that using a virtual set for a newscast is too tricky due to technical gaffes that might occur should the computer program overlaying the set malfunctions, resulting in anchors maybe being stuck in front of a green screen, the Global Television Network in Canada has used virtual sets on some of its stations (like flagship CIII/Toronto and CHAN/Vancouver) for a couple of years now. They look decent, almost realistic even, but you can kinda tell the difference.

Here in Oklahoma City, two stations (KFOR and KOCO) use both real and virtual sets for their newscasts, the virtual sets only used during certain standup reports in-studio and for KOCO, sports segments; there have been occasional mishaps with them too, as there are occasional instances where the set would flip to another image towards the end of the story.

Here is more information on the departure of news director Bill Carey.

First, from the New York Post, in this article, it is mentioned that Kaity Tong signed a new multiyear deal, so who knows? Maybe she WILL be back as lead anchor! Shows how much I know, LOL... http://www.nypost.co...L4XmWqHsvXF5BwL

Second, here is a brief from Broadcasting & Cable, which mentioned Carey's time as vice president and general manager of ABC affilliate WFTS in Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida. Perhaps someone can mention how he did in that role? It also mentioned the awful "Cash Grab" segments that aired during WPIX's 10 p.m. newscast (Remember that?). http://www.broadcast...y_Resigning.php

Bill Carey has left WPIX earlier than expected, FishbowlNY reports that Carey cleared out his office over this past weekend, and longtime assistant news director John Houseman has been named interim ND until a replacement is found.

Truly the end of an ERROR.

Thanks, I'll be here all night....

Seriously though, WPIX and Bill Carey were "dealt a bad hand" with the Cablevision/Tribune dispute? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! Channel 11 practically committed news ratings suicide when they hired Carey IN THE FIRST PLACE. The dispute only accelerated losses that were already sustained.

Tonight marks two years since the format change at 10 p.m. I don't think there is anyone left in the region who agrees with the format. But soon, it will (hopefully) be over.

Archived