KMGH switches to Scripps Standard Graphics and Music

ABC 7 Denver

They just switched 10/15/2012 (Monday). It doesn't look all that bad, but I do have a few complaints. First, like all the other Scripps stations, the bug is outside of the 4:3 safety zone. I find it ironic that then during NightLine, their transparent bug is within the 4:3 safety. Secondly, the ABC logo in the bug is not the reflective logo but instead a plain black circle with the abc logo inside it. Why they didn't just reuse the bug from the old package, I don't know. Thirdly, I noticed that during the 7-day graphics there is a continual gradient wipe across each day of the week. It looks very tacky.

Ingergy sound good here. And the package looks better that a lot of what we have.

Over the last two years CBS4 has gotten the graphic mandate, KDVR and KWGN have gotten new graphic packages and now so does KMGH. 9News, I know you house the graphics department for the entire company there. I think it is time you worked on a new mandate. The insipid music has to go and so do the bugs and the opens. I think G3 did a good job with the basic design, but it needs a serious refresh and something somewhat customizable.

Back on subject. The new graphics are featured with the logo on front of desk monitor. It does not at all fit with the look of the set. Maybe KMGH will get a new set in a few years? The set looks like their old package... But at this time I would replace the logo on the front desk plasma with the previous package screen saver because it fits a lot better.

Char615: If you are in Denver soon, grab a comp, will ya?

Char615: If you are in Denver soon, grab a comp, will ya?

I'm actually flying to Denver later this week, so I'll hopefully have some video and caps up by the weekend.

Thank God. I am so glad to see the old graphics go. I don't even care what the new ones look like, but the previous ones were getting really old.

Yeah you know I actually asked someone at my local Scripps station why the graphics are in a letterbox HD format like CNN and Fox News, and they said that they had absolutely NO idea and that Scripps apparently didn't tell them why they switched to that format either, but admitted that it's incredibly annoying. The only apparently benefit is that the floor crew doesn't have to frame their shots anymore, so what's on camera is what everyone sees at home, no bonus area on either side of the standard 4x3 box.

They've uploaded the A-block from the 5pm newscast on Monday:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/video (Does the Scripps site not give direct links to video?)

They've adopted a new tagline: Always Investigating. It also looks like all the city imagery used in the open are just still images from the previous Hothaus package. The new graphics are also really jarring with whatever is left over from the old look ('News' set in Trajan, the ancient set, etc).

With the new package, it looks like KUSA now has the oldest graphics package in the Denver market, since they're still using the 2008 Gannett standardized graphics for the most part. Every other TV news outlet in the market has changed their graphics within the last 2 to 2 1/2 years: KMGH this year, KDVR and KWGN in 2011 and KCNC in 2010.

I hate that damn Banner...Why does it have to stay up for the entire show? and That damn box on the left is annoying. I really dont even like watching RTV6 anymore.

A NOTE: The stations have it set up to where they send a signal to the cable companies where the the screen letterboxes when the newscasts begin. Ok Great. It doesnt do that at any other time so it's gotta be annoying for the promotions department when a topical or station promo plays during the day (or outside the newscast period) and the station logo and the words on the banner aren't on the screen.

With the new package, it looks like KUSA now has the oldest graphics package in the Denver market, since they're still using the 2008 Gannett standardized graphics for the most part. Every other TV news outlet in the market has changed their graphics within the last 2 to 2 1/2 years: KMGH this year, KDVR and KWGN in 2011 and KCNC in 2010.

Yep. I stated that above. I think this is similarly true for KPNX in Phoenix. Remember KNXV just got the same package. But I'm not sure when all the other stations got new packages.

They've adopted a new tagline: Always Investigating. It also looks like all the city imagery used in the open are just still images from the previous Hothaus package. The new graphics are also really jarring with whatever is left over from the old look ('News' set in Trajan, the ancient set, etc).

A number of things:

The logo in the monitor on the front of the desk doesn't fit either. They also need to update their microphone flags. The current flags are from 2006 (I think).

They need to reapply the ABC7 logo bug from the Hauthus package as the current does not have the newest ABC logo.

The new package is not designed for 4:3 broadcasting. It doesn't fit.

I just noticed tonight that they are playing EWN for bumpers! WTF?

I like the tag! It's for what ABC7 is known (I'm rebranding it; let it catch on).

I noticed a few weeks ago that the affiliate programming on Comcast shrunk to the letterbox (ABC7 was using their old graphics package at the time). That is probably just the way their broadcasting output to all cable/satellite providers changed.

KMGH stays in letterbox throughout commercials. Imagine seeing a teany tiny 4:3 commercial swimming in a sea of black. It's looks like crap! Clearly Scripps has no idea what their doing!

Whew! Ok, done.

They need to reapply the ABC7 logo bug from the Hauthus package as the current does not have the newest ABC logo.

I think that every Scripps-owned ABC station that has adopted the package does not use the 3D ABC logo from 2007, if that's the one you're talking about. WMAR now uses both the 2007 logo and the 2D-ish logo seen in the video of KMGH's Monday 5 p.m. newscast, though the 3D variant is apparently used within the station's weather graphics only.

I just noticed tonight that they are playing EWN for bumpers! WTF?

Another thread here states that when Scripps acquired the McGraw-Hill stations, they also effectively inherited a long-term contract to use Gari Media Group's news themes. A few other Scripps stations are apparently using cuts of both "Inergy" and "Eyewitness News" just to satisfy the contract.

Another thread here states that when Scripps acquired the McGraw-Hill stations, they also effectively inherited a long-term contract to use Gari Media Group's news themes. A few other Scripps stations are apparently using cuts of both "Inergy" and "Eyewitness News" just to satisfy the contract.

Then they should just use it for the 4:30 am newscast. Or, if I were them I would use EWN Gen 3 throughout. I like that one.

I think that every Scripps-owned ABC station that has adopted the package does not use the 3D ABC logo from 2007, if that's the one you're talking about. WMAR now uses both the 2007 logo and the 2D-ish logo seen in the video of KMGH's Monday 5 p.m. newscast, though the 3D variant is apparently used within the station's weather graphics only.

KGTV Still uses the 3D Glossy ABC Logo (The Black Pearl)

WRTV was using both EWN and Ingery for a day or two....Now its all Ingery.

KGTV Still uses the 3D Glossy ABC Logo (The Black Pearl)

WRTV was using both EWN and Ingery for a day or two....Now its all Ingery.

Ingery? Oh the pain, Scripps in Ingered!

What is Inergy? I probably would have named the package Integrity.

Kudos to Denver's 7 (Yeah, I said "Denver's 7", NOT abc7.No offense, Sam) on switching to the new ScrippsHoward GFX and they still committed to Ten Minutes of Non-Stop News™... (7 should have their slogan trademarked. LOL)

Denver's 7 or ABC7. Anything but the generic 7News. It's a boring name. :)

In semi-related news, I see that KUSA is now broadcasting newscasts in 16:9 on the SD feed. They're still using the Gannett graphics with the 4:3 safe zones, but they have a new KDVR-ish flipper showing news, weather, and traffic that stretches across the whole 16:9 frame. Maybe Gannett will go in the same direction as Scripps with their next update?

In semi-related news, I see that KUSA is now broadcasting newscasts in 16:9 on the SD feed. They're still using the Gannett graphics with the 4:3 safe zones, but they have a new KDVR-ish flipper showing news, weather, and traffic that stretches across the whole 16:9 frame. Maybe Gannett will go in the same direction as Scripps with their next update?

Pleeaasse!!!!!

You assume that Gannett will ever update.

Archived