Tulsa's KOTV to move to new studios

T.L. Hughes

Griffin Communications' Tulsa duopoly of CBS affiliate KOTV and CW affiliate KQCW is in the waning stages of constructing a new 57,000 square foot studio facility that will house both stations. The new studio would place KOTV not far from its longtime home in Downtown Tulsa, the new facility is being built on North Boston Avenue in the Brady Arts District, less than one mile northwest of its current facility on South Frankfort Avenue, where the station has been housed since it signed on in 1949. Construction began on the studio in April 2008, but eventually was halted due to the recession, resuming in early 2011.

The station's new news set is being designed by FX Group, which also developed KWTV's current news set that has been used since 2006. It's likely that the station will transition its newscasts to HD once they begin broadcasting from Boston Avenue on January 19 (KOTV/KQCW's newscasts have been broadcast in widescreen standard definition since October 2010, when it adopted the red and white logo - that is a right side-up version of the logo shown in my profile pic at left - and Hothaus-designed graphics used by Oklahoma City sister station KWTV since that same time).

Here's a TVNewsCheck article about the new digs, including the "green" aspect of the new space: http://www.tvnewsche...-new-tulsa-digs

Good for KOTV—this is a long time coming. I remember first hearing about this in 2007, and then it was back-burnered "indefinitely" during the 2008-2009 recession. I still can't believe they've been able to work out of that tiny space for so long.

Here's a story from August that documented some of the progress to-date. Looks like it's going to be a very nice facility.

Any timetable on completion?

There is a billboard near the new building saying "January 2013." That's the closest to a date that I know of.

According to an article in Broadcast Engineering, KOTV/KQCW's master control facilites will begin operating out of the new studios by December, a few weeks before newscasts officially begin being produced out of the new building: http://broadcastengi...playout-systems

I found what might be the best treat in the Vault: a KOTV early-80s open (possibly 10pm?) without voiceover or added graphics! (This is the Corinthian era — you know, the one with those funky stripes.) Some of the clips are different from the 5pm open.

http://www.newson6.com/category/121535/video-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7547205

That blooper reel even has a fake open voiced by Doc Morgan AND proof that they used the KSD 1981 theme in the LATE 80s, not the EARLY 80s. That had bugged me for more than two years.

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier this morning, master control officially made the transition to the new studios. Understandably, it wasn't exactly a smooth transition, there were a few technical glitches, with KQCW airing a breakdown slide at one point. Things went back to normal once the Baylor/Kentucky game started.

• 1 month later...
Hold that thought for one second.

In KWTV's defense, they are the top station for severe weather coverage in what is arguably the top market for severe weather in the country. Their weather department is stacked right now since they wanted to lock up David Payne when his contract expired with KFOR, who will replace Gary England when he eventually retires. You could say Gary England is a bit of a legend in TV meteorology (to the point where he has Severe Weather Babes), so they had to make sure the heir apparent was waiting in the wings.

Archived