FX Group on "cookie-cutter" sets

trev57

Apparently FX Group was listening when people, including most of us here, were complaining about their cookie cutter sets. And they have something to say about it.

At FX, where we design and build sets and backdrops for television – you could say we make “cookies” too. We are using a tried and true “recipe” and process – i.e. the functionality and design elements that have worked - and won many awards – in the past. But we still create each one “from scratch”. Just as I do when making cookies, we start out with a favorite recipe as a base, then “add nuts and other ingredients” to customize it. But the recipe still uses the base ingredients that are needed to make the dough. This means many variations are possible from this one recipe.

Our team has created numerous designs that are inspired by other FX designs – as a way to save either time or money for our clients. We create many sets that are totally custom and unlike anything seen before – developing new recipes so-to-speak.

Over the past few years we have created many sets for a number of station groups. Typically groups do this for a number of reasons. It may be to get the most value from a base design. Or to help a group convert their stations to HD on a very condensed timeline. Or to simplify the new set process and make it more efficient. Whatever the reason, a single base set design is used across the entire group.

We’ve heard comments that these are “just cookie cutter sets”. They may have the same shape and consistency, but there are solid business reasons and strategies behind it. This option gives our group clients what they want – value, and a great looking, multi-functional set, that can deployed in a streamlined way throughout their family of stations in a budget-conscious way. Although these group-wide, consistent sets may not be exciting to the design community or other people in the TV industry, they make our clients happy.

And let me point out – even these Group-look sets are made from scratch. They are customized for each station’s market, brand and needs. The colors and graphic icons always change. And they are built and assembled by hand by FX’s experienced craftsman.

So when I hear disparaging buzz that FX created another cookie cutter set – I pause to think what that really means, because I know it was made from scratch – and from a time-honored recipe with Love. And…who doesn’t like Cookies?!

Ironic how this comes out only after they start making sets that really are unique and interesting...

http://fxgroup.tv/baking-cookies-fx-style/

Don't be so shocked, several FX people have accounts on this site.

They make a fair point, nothing is wrong with a cost-effective design (whether you like it or not). Most viewers who see a set in South Bend, Indiana don't care if that same design exists in Milwaukee and vice versa.

Personally I think a lot of the membership base, most with no experience in a real station, whine way too much about these kinds of things. It's easy to tell us what you wish we had in terms of on air look and music, but honestly we don't care what you think and neither do most of our viewers.

Don't be so shocked, several FX people have accounts on this site.

They make a fair point, nothing is wrong with a cost-effective design (whether you like it or not). Most viewers who see a set in South Bend, Indiana don't care if that same design exists in Milwaukee and vice versa.

Personally I think a lot of the membership base, most with no experience in a real station, whine way too much about these kinds of things. It's easy to tell us what you wish we had in terms of on air look and music, but honestly we don't care what you think and neither do most of our viewers.

The same can be said about standardized graphic packages and music. Obviously obey off GO package uses, like that formally used at WFMJ are normal, but these days we are seeing group packages like that of Scripps, Gannett and CBS and we are complaining about theae being cookie-cutter. If it were not forfor us, I don't thing anybody would realize that the sets, graphics or music were being used in other markets. The fact is that we are not supposed to view local newscasts in other markets. But we do, and because of this we see glaring on-air similarities, especially now since budgets are tightening.

We continue to complain about these missteps or these glaring missimplimentations, but I think it is commendable that these stations have been able to maintain their own look and identity in there own markets. So what if the NBC affiliate in St. Louis looks and sounds like the NBC affiliate in Atlanta? They look good to there viewers (excluding us, obviously).

Sets can last a lot longer.

It's been my personal opinion for a little while now that if a station can afford it, or unless their set really is something that looks so magnificent and extravagant it doesn't really need to be, they should try and replace their set every six years or so. Eight at the absolute most, but not a decade.

But if it looks really crappy, then ditch it after one or two years, maybe three.

Archived