WLS names new Creative Service Director.

CircleSeven

From the B&C, it states today that WLS's new president & General Manager John Idler has appointed his former colleague at WTVD ABC 11 in Durham, Curtis Miles as the new Vice President of Local Programming and Creative Services. Miles replaces longtime CSD, Tom Hebel, which he resigned from the station in October. Miles starts his role on the first of the year.

I had this feeling for many years that once Hebel leaves WLS-TV, major image changes may occur, specifically the change of its theme music (which its current theme music 'News Series 2000 Plus' reached its 'twenty-year' mark earlier this fall). Of course, one of the biggest image changes happened three years ago, when the station dropped its longtime voiceover Ron Rolland for Roger Rose, which I think that was one of the worst move the station have done in years. When that change occured in 2009, I was like "Al Parker should be rolling in his grave". Hebel probably didn't really do much of a good job gearing more towards viewer who used those mobile devices, but he did a damn good job overall.

Now I'm not saying he won't do a good job. I hope all the best for him. But we all need to see what he'll do. I just hope that Miles won't do anything stupid that would affect the station's local programming and its newscasts.

I might get crucified for this, but I think they need to revisit their options in regards to a theme. I'll love "NS2000 Plus" forever, it'll always be be favorite. However, things change and let's face it, it's beginning to show it's age. I know the station hasn't been impressed with the Gari updates, but that was several years ago, and new minds are in charge. I've looked at the demo video on YouTube from time to time, and I hate to admit it, but it's not half bad. Yes, it has alot of the new-age sound to it, but it's undeniably "News Series 2000". A few of the cues aren't that good, and I think they should keep the current morning theme, but I think it could work if done properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N47_a2wOOgo

Now, I still believe that that WLS has the best-executed image of all 5 stations in town, the combo of people, graphics, content, theme and set. However, look at the station right now and look at something from 5 years ago...there's been a weekend morning anchor change, a few weekend sports anchors, a minor logo update, and too many hair styles to count. It's nearly 2013, but it might as well be 2007 behind those windows on State.

Hopefully Miles (and his team) will develop something that's both fresh and new while maintaining certain traditional elements that have long been associated with WLS and its newscasts.

Creating a new news theme will be a more difficult challenge given that certain things can work/fly only in certain markets and are not always universal. Probably the best example of this was WBBM's 'Heart in the City'. That theme never worked (imo) and wasn't nearly as creative and outside the box as 'Works for You' was.

If WLS gets a new news theme, it needs to be something that screams 'this is the news' (if you will) or maybe a re-imagining of some of their older themes (circa 1980s-1990s).

Of course, one of the biggest image changes happened three years ago, when the station dropped its longtime voiceover Ron Rolland for Roger Rose, which I think that was one of the worst move the station have done in years. When that change occured in 2009, I was like "Al Parker should be rolling in his grave".

If the worst move a station's made in years is changing the voiceover guy, you're doing pretty good.

If the worst move a station's made in years is changing the voiceover guy, you're doing pretty good.

Yeah, I can only think of a few recent, controversial personnel changes, but the dumping of Rolland is at the top of the list.

- Diann Burns' exit in 2003 had some drama, most of which was instigated by Burns herself (surprise, suprise).

- When Ron Magers was hired in '98, Alan Krashesky was effectively knocked off the fast track to the top, but at only 42 when John Drury retired, I absolutely think they made the right decision of passing over Krash for Magers.

- It's alleged (and probably true) that Rob Johnson left in '06 after not getting the 4pm job after Joel Daly's 2005 retirement, but he was in the running with Krashesky, Perez and Sanders...he didn't stand a chance.

- Lastly, two words. Kevin Roy.

...And with the impending retirements of Magers, Yu, Taft and possibly Giangreco, management could have a real mess on their hands that music and graphics wouldn't be able to fix.

This might really rustle some jimmies, but in my opinion it's about time to redo every portion of WLS' presentation. The set is 6 years old, the graphics 7, the music 20.

I wouldn't be surprised if sometime towards the second half of next year, we see a new set and at the very least, modernized graphics.

So, it's really minor, but they've made a set modification. The lit, bookend-like pillars on the sides of the main desk area have changed colors...instead of the light, periwinkle (yes, periwinkle) blue, the pillars are now a bright, royal blue, similar to the blue in the graphics and the Circle-7.

Giangreco's gonna look surprisingly pale with these behing him come Monday.

• 3 months later...

So, I've not been on the forum in a while, but I've been busy.

I'm actually in the process of making an update package based entirely on "Stimulus". I call it "'Legacy' for WLS Chicago". Here are some (just a few of many) cuts, let me know what you think

https://soundcloud.com/ctmajka/wls-evening-theme

https://soundcloud.com/ctmajka/wls-tv-tease-1

https://soundcloud.com/ctmajka/wls-tv-custom-cts-evening

I should be done with the entire package within the next few weeks or so, would anyone have any idea how I would go about proposing this?

Archived