WFAA New Graphics

TexasTVNews

And since that's been said, I guess I can say this:

These are the new standard Belo graphics, by Hothaus. They'll be rolled out across the group over the next year. They're setting up a central graphics office, but they're not hubbing, so these won't be as cookie cutter as some of the packages I think.

It looks like an evolution of the KHOU package, in all honesty, and if they're rolling out the new Propulsion stuff to at least some of the other stations, they may well be looking at them as the model. (Here's hoping KHOU's excellent footage opens are one of the inspirations.)

From what I understand Phase 1 will include the Texas stations and WWL, with WFAA and KHOU launching the same day (which only leaves tonight at 10). Haven't heard anything about the rest.

Unless things have changed recently, there were no plans to standardize music (at least not anymore than they already have, as most Belo stations have contracts with 615).

Nope, there are no exceptions to this. I found the original (and surprisingly thoughtful and honest) memo on FTVLive, and it clearly states the entire group is getting this look.

However, this is a long term project. They're standardizing everyone on Miranda Vertigo hardware, and they're clearly taking their time on this. They are not expecting everyone to be on this until the end of 2013 at the earliest. And the memo more or less states that they don't know when WVEC (and I'd assume WCNC) would even be ready to go for this. But the end goal is to have everyone on the same page, even though they're not completely hubbing. It looks like a semi-hub ala what CBS has/had - stations keep the departments, but graphics cues come from Dallas.

Mark is indeed right - the "phase one" stations were Texas and WWL. This was back in May, though. Plans might have changed, as this shift involves standardizing everyone on Miranda Vertigo hardware, but we know that WFAA (the center of the operation) and KHOU (which slipped in the new stuff in weather presentation) are ready to go, so at least that part's on track.

Thanks for posting! So "News 8 at 10"... Was there any reference to the "News 8 Update" or has that name been officially dropped?

Also interesting that the say "Live, from Victory Park..." Are all newscasts done over there now? From what I understood a while ago, mornings, noon and 5 p.m. were always done from Victory and the 6 and 10 were done there "if there was anything going on over there."

I really like their music cues. Seems to be an update to the KHOU update. Could this finally be a V.2? I can definitely hear some new themes in the bumpers and segment opens.

Would be interested to hear what they use in the morning.

Ugh...I'm not terribly impressed. In fact their rather ugly.

It's one thing to have the boxxy single-line graphics ala WBZ (which looked good and clean), but to put a background behind it kind of ruins the look.

And for no apparent reason let's have a mini video screen with the bug/logo rotating to the website.

I'm not terribly a fan of what KHOU has now, but these aren't an upgrade.

I can't believe they're making WWL give up their nice graphics for this JUNK.

The WWL people had a say in how the graphics turned out.

I think the graphics have enough strong points to make up for the weaker parts of the package. I like the opens, franchise opens, stings, etc. A LOT.

Like some others, I'm not crazy about the lower thirds and how the boxes vary in length depending on the text (clearly inspired by the old CNN look). WBZ's old graphics package seemed to master this look. Hothaus, as with the KABC package, still hasn't perfected this technique yet. I do find it odd that the text/boxes don't animate on given the way they look. Although that may be a good thing bc the constant animation on CNN's old L3s got annoying fast.

I think if they were going for more of a minimalist look, they could've used KHOU's L3s for inspiration. They were small and unobtrusive, but very readable.

I also don't mind the cable news feel. Definitely not stereotypical local news. But what does bother me is that bug. Aside from the distracting animation and the fact that it's way too big, it looks exactly like what it is: a logo placeholder.

So that's my review so far, I'll be really interested to see how other station's roll out the package.

If Belo's standardizing with Miranda boxes instead of VizRT, you won't get the animated CNN/KABC look on the "fit to size" lower third bars. It's all in the realtime stuff that Viz can do that Chyron, Miranda, and others are still catching up on.

One thing I noticed, a lot of the graphics are out of those "safe areas." The OTS, Live bug, and various other graphics, are cut off or partially cut off for non-widescreen televisions. I wonder if this is a choice stations will be going with for the future, assuming a majority of viewers already have a HDTV.

One thing I noticed, a lot of the graphics are out of those "safe areas." The OTS, Live bug, and various other graphics, are cut off or partially cut off for non-widescreen televisions. I wonder if this is a choice stations will be going with for the future, assuming a majority of viewers already have a HDTV.

I think you'll be seeing a trend of stations and cable/sat systems just sending out a widescreen picture for SD viewers. The trend is already happening with sports networks and the cable news outlets and a handful of local stations/station groups are doing so.

I think you'll be seeing a trend of stations and cable/sat systems just sending out a widescreen picture for SD viewers. The trend is already happening with sports networks and the cable news outlets and a handful of local stations/station groups are doing so.

Isn't/Wasn't Scripps the first to do this? If they weren't, then it became blatantly obvious with them. They still never said anything though as to WHY they decided this is what they would do.

Which begs my other question, why? Wasn't the whole purpose of 16x9 HD to see more?

Isn't/Wasn't Scripps the first to do this? If they weren't, then it became blatantly obvious with them. They still never said anything though as to WHY they decided this is what they would do.

Which begs my other question, why? Wasn't the whole purpose of 16x9 HD to see more?

From what I've seen, Scripps didn't start doing that til they rolled out their current look. A lot of FOX O&Os had been doing this as early as late last year,

I can't believe they're making WWL give up their nice graphics for this JUNK.

As much as I liked the new graphics a few years ago, I don't think they've aged very well, nor do I think WWL used them to their fullest after seeing Renderon's demo reel.

If WWL's folks had a say in this set, I would imagine there would be some tweaks, especially in the colors. I also wouldn't mind a change in the music - very tired of AWYT.

This is Hothaus we're talking about here...

I don't know. If I did something I liked, I'd be inclined to find ways to reuse it.

If this is a look that will be used at other stations, I'm curious to see how they will make the different versions... if the colors change at all or anything. I'd be inclined to say this is one of the better station group packages I've seen lately if it is infact a group package. It doesn't have that mass-produced feeling to it like some of the more recent ones.

As much as I liked the new graphics a few years ago, I don't think they've aged very well, nor do I think WWL used them to their fullest after seeing Renderon's demo reel.

If WWL's folks had a say in this set, I would imagine there would be some tweaks, especially in the colors. I also wouldn't mind a change in the music - very tired of AWYT.

Hopefully WWL would use "Spirit of Louisiana" again... That theme screams what 4's about. It deserves a comeback.

Archived