WFAA New Graphics

TexasTVNews

OK, after seeing more of the package, here are my updated thoughts:

Music: After hearing more, it seems the theme they're using for teases and franchise opens is not new, but rather a version of the headline theme from the morning show updates to Propulsion from earlier this year. Creative use of the package, and I like it a lot.

Lower thirds: Really warming up to these. They can be quirky at times though. Skip to 23:27 in the video Que posted... In the small graphic next to the standard L3, they actually used a picture of George Riba underneath a live shot of George Riba himself! I'm sure it was just a case of some producer wanting to use another one of those little graphics, but still, very odd looking...

Bug: Aside from the problems I stated earlier, I've since noticed some redundancy. The bug switches between the "News 8" and "WFAA.com" logos, meanwhile it says "wfaa.com" directly underneath the animation. Not to mention, they insist on using the "WFAA.com" underneath "News 8" logo at all times, so at any given time their web address can be seen in the bug twice.

Logo: I REALLY like the staion logo they're using now (seen at 12:46 in the video or in Que's profile) with the smaller ABC disc. I think they should consider using a version of that for the news logo instead of the one with the larger ABC disc. Just a thought.

I'm not liking how some of the graphics at times flow out of the SD safe areas. I know most people have HDTVs now, but most people also have TVs in their home that aren't HD. Think about it, when you get a new TV, you don't get rid of all your old ones; you maybe put it in a bedroom or something. So a lot of people are still watching shows on SD TVs (especially news, where people may watch in the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc.). The OTS make even let text flow right out of the safe area. Not to mention the live bug way out there too.

Was clicking around through the high-end of the Comcast dial here in Houston and stopped on TXCN (Belo's excuse to repurpose their station's newscasts in between really bad weather segments) and noticed that KHOU premiered their new graphics Wednesday (12/12)

It must have happened in the afternoon b/c they were using their old package for the morning show.

They're...ugh. Still. Same muted blue/white as Dallas. Their "Billboard" bug rotates between the logo and "Stands for Houston" Aweful, in my opinion, compared to their previous look.

WWL has started using the new graphics as of the 5 pm newscast. They are using a shorter version of AWYT that was used after Hurricane Katrina on the old graphics refresh. The clock is still being used, which ironically looks similar to the clock on the old graphics. The bug/box alternates between the logo and "Louisiana's News Leader". Sadly, "Spirit of Louisiana" is not being used.

What I don't like is that the lower thirds are ALL CAPS. I hate all caps; plus it looks cheap. However, most of the weather graphics are mixed case.

EDIT: The clock wasn't seen on the 6 pm and 10 pm opens.

WWL has started using the new graphics as of the 5 pm newscast. They are using a shorter version of AWYT that was used after Hurricane Katrina on the old graphics refresh. The clock is still being used, which ironically looks similar to the clock on the old graphics. The bug/box alternates between the logo and "Louisiana's News Leader". Sadly, "Spirit of Louisiana" is not being used.

What I don't like is that the lower thirds are ALL CAPS. I hate all caps; plus it looks cheap. However, most of the weather graphics are mixed case.

EDIT: The clock wasn't seen on the 6 pm and 10 pm opens.

Interesting about the clock. I wondered if they would be able to use it when I saw that KHOU reused the star from the previous package in their opens (at least they did the day of the graphics launch).

After less than a week, KHOU dropped the video billboard aspect of the bug. Instead of animating from the logo to "stands for houston" (every 2-3 seconds, which was incredibly annoying and distracting) they have incorporated their old bug animation into the billboard: changing between "KHOU 11" to "KHOU.com" about every 5-6 seconds. They also modified the time/temp to make it less crowded.

Edited to add another complaint about the package: The placement of the "LIVE" bug is set for 16x9 while the rest of the package is built to be within 4x3. It lines up with nothing...not the edge of the lower 3rd nor the little "icon" box that stretches into the wings.

Archived