XETV new graphics

Bsean

A new graphics debuted tonight. They are a modified version KABC's graphics. They are very clean and minimalistic. They have gotten rid of their ticker. Now, the subject of the current story appears there. Also, they were broadcasting from the newsroom so I am assuming a new set may be in the works. Sorry, I can't do screen caps to show.

A welcome change, that's for sure. The previous package made by VDO got old very quickly and it looked even worse in HD. As far as the set goes, it's definitely time for a new one, they've had their set since at least 1998 with very few modifications (mostly background and graphic(s) paneling). I'm still a bit surprised that they would even fork over the money to purchase a package from Hothaus. I haven't seen them in action since I don't really watch SD6, but from online videos i've seen, they could do without the black bar on the bottom since it really cheapens the look. Let's see if a new set is in the works...

• 5 weeks later...

Well, maybe they are going to eventually redo the set. Derek Staahl, posted on his Facebook page last month, "Rumor has it this set may be going away soon." So when I'd it going to happen?

I'll believe when I see it. Just when I think that XETV is finally going to do something right, they end up messing it up. I did notice however that they sort of spruced up the news room by adding their website address in a plexiglass, and the blue lighting/glow looks pretty nice. Also, I noticed that they plastered a crap load of CNN logos and SD6 logos to a window in the newsroom. Never seen a local station plaster CNN logos in their newsroom before.

I'll believe when I see it. Just when I think that XETV is finally going to do something right, they end up messing it up. I did notice however that they sort of spruced up the news room by adding their website address in a plexiglass, and the blue lighting/glow looks pretty nice. Also, I noticed that they plastered a crap load of CNN logos and SD6 logos to a window in the newsroom. Never seen a local station plaster CNN logos in their newsroom before.

Yeah me either. I'm not sure what they really are doing. I really hope they do something with that studio. They have so much space to do something that blows everyone out of the water. And let's get Jim a co-anchor...

• 11 months later...

XETV did an update to their graphics. A scrolling info bar with time and temp under the bug (similar to KFMB). The size of the bug and lower thirds was also decreased.

You would think that they would have changed the lower thirds, which looks almost exactly like KFMB's. The only difference is that 8 has the blue bar on top and the white bar on the bottom, while XETV has them the opposite. Then again, originality was thrown out the window when 4 of the 5 English language stations in town got the same exact traffic map system.

Then again, originality was thrown out the window when 4 of the 5 English language stations in town got the same exact traffic map system.

I agree, even on weather forecasts, you see the same icons on the 5 day forecasts.

Like here in SF. You see the same "Sim City 3000" SF Skyline replica flyover on KGO, KTVU and KPIX

I agree, even on weather forecasts, you see the same icons on the 5 day forecasts.

Like here in SF. You see the same "Sim City 3000" SF Skyline replica flyover on KGO, KTVU and KPIX

I forgot to point out that KFMB, KNSD and XETV use the same weather computer system.

Guest Former Member 207

My wife and I were in San Diego this past weekend, and I had a chance to sample some of the newscasts there. Unfortunately, the hotel we stayed at didn't carry XETV, which was surprising regardless of their CW affiliation. KUSI's news graphics sort of reminds me of the previous Fox O&O graphics, particularly the lower-thirds, and seeing that they wanted so desperately to be a Fox affiliate, I can understand. The other stations (KSWB, KNSD, KFMB, and KGTV) look fine, although I think KFMB's lower-thirds graphics look a little too busy--trying to put up too much information in so little space.

Archived