February sweeps not good for WPIX; Changes expected "everywhere"

PIXfan

Their image doesn't scream hardcore news as WABC does. I think they have more of an image of wanting to help the viewers, which is exemplified by the work Monica Morales, Howard Thompson and Greg Mocker does. Don't get me wrong, it's admirable of what they do for people who call for help, but they need to beef up the news too. I think when people turn to WABC, WCBS, WNBC and even WNYW for news, they expect it and get it. I don't think people get that with WPIX. Perhaps there's too much analyzing the news with commentary, just like the cable networks. They should just report it and let the viewers decide with their own opinions on the matter.

First off the 5 and 10pm needs two anchors and a traditional format even if they decide to do a 6:00 instead.. If they keep Tamsen at night I think she'll do much better with someone.. Second the morning show needs to be cleaned up.. Literally all Sukanya and Frances do is make bathroom and sex jokes.. And apparently people behind the scenes aren't much better.. They need new graphics and they need to change that Popsicle colored studio so that it looks professional and can be used for all newscasts.. And if they wanna keep Lionel they should pair Craig Treadway with someone at a desk and then Lionel can do his thing..

Change is good! The least that PIX can do is to at least move all newscasts back to the real studio, cover up the "mood lighting zebra panels" with either a backdrop of NYC or their logo. Single anchor format needs to go, they need to either bring back the old news theme or tell Warner Chappell to commission a v3 of the WPIX custom news package. And stop reading all those tweets! I feel the morning show is like a mix of sex news and knock knock nonsense. And they need to stop doing pre recorded teases- it makes the news look unprofessional

Change is good! The least that PIX can do is to at least move all newscasts back to the real studio, cover up the "mood lighting zebra panels" with either a backdrop of NYC or their logo. Single anchor format needs to go, they need to either bring back the old news theme or tell Warner Chappell to commission a v3 of the WPIX custom news package. And stop reading all those tweets! I feel the morning show is like a mix of sex news and knock knock nonsense. And they need to stop doing pre recorded teases- it makes the news look unprofessional

I agree. But dude, most teases are prerecorded. I think the quality (though I've never actually seen a PIX tease) is crap production.

It might be a good idea to hire a new creative services department because this one clearly isn't delivering. Even the most basic things: the look, sound and feel of PIX does not fit the New York market. PIX might fit L.A. better (?), but they have taken this experiment way to far in NY. As you've said, their focus on MTA is ludicrous! Tribune has their work cut out for them, but if they can manage to pull PIX out of the gutter its been in, that spell future profitability for the broadcast end of the company and a better overall regeneration of most of its stations. While Tribune should sell stations in some markets (figure below DMA 30 or non burgeoning markets), PIX is a station they can't afford to sell off!

Is it that difficult to go back to the days before Bill Carey wrecked that place? Is it that difficult to go back to the old music, the 2 anchor format and real hard news. Just start somewhere. I bet the ratings were better then than now. Bring back Kaity to helm the newscast with another male anchor and then build the newscast from there.

The morning newscast is trash, I agree with nynewslover, the jokes are downright dirty. I remember watching sometime ago and Sukanya and Frances were talking about how difficult women have it being pregnant. Sukanya then said men are lucky, all they have to do is go down there and fertilize it. Hopefully changes will come very quickly.

What would be great is if Tribune sells its stations and Disney/ABC creates a duopoly in New York. They almost had one in LA with KABC and KCAL but the FCC rules were different back then and Disney had to get rid of KCAL before purchasing ABC.

Imagine if the Eyewitness News brand could extend to 7pm and 10pm on WPIX? They already have a circle 11 logo..

This is highly unlikely given the fact that ABC has moved away from owning TV stations... Maybe WPIX could just contract it news dept out to WABC like samller stations in other markets do.

What would be great is if Tribune sells its stations and Disney/ABC creates a duopoly in New York. They almost had one in LA with KABC and KCAL but the FCC rules were different back then and Disney had to get rid of KCAL before purchasing ABC.

Imagine if the Eyewitness News brand could extend to 7pm and 10pm on WPIX? They already have a circle 11 logo..

This is highly unlikely given the fact that ABC has moved away from owning TV stations... Maybe WPIX could just contract it news dept out to WABC like samller stations in other markets do.

Then I think PIX would become an independent station (Would CW contract with a ABC O&O?). WLNY would be come the CW... Is this a win win for everybody? What syndie. programming would ABC present? This would also mean that the only network not to have duopoly in NY would be NBC. What would they do?

EDIT: Thanks A3N! "NBC already has a duopoly with Telemundo (WNJU) and WNBC." So ABC is the one to get in the game.

Then I think PIX would become an independent station (Would CW contract with a ABC O&O?). WLNY would be come the CW... Is this a win win for everybody? What syndie. programming would ABC present? This would also mean that the only network not to have duopoly in NY would be NBC. What would they do?

NBC already has a duopoly with Telemundo (WNJU) and WNBC.

Not a fan of a duopolies. You lose the originality and competition that NYC stations have always had a tradition with. We might be all overreacting to the February sweeps, ratings are cyclical (ie: look at NBC at the national level between Nov. and Feb. sweeps). In addition it might be long before viewers return even if they make the switch back to a more traditional newscast, if they ever do come back (ie: WNBC at 5pm).

But there is no doubt that TheCW primetime is suppressing the ratings. That's why I think WPIX becoming an independent station after the contract is up with TheCW is quite possible. Wasn't the new Tribune CEO just saying he's interested in creating original programming?

It's also interesting to see if the Arsenio Hall Show will live up to its hype. I believe it's aiming for a 11pm start to compete with Conan and have a leg up against the late shows that start at 11:35pm , but If it does well, who knows, WPIX could move to a shortened newscast to 11pm and have the Arsenio Hall show at 10pm to benefit from the lead ins.

Not a fan of a duopolies. You lose the originality and competition that NYC stations have always had a tradition with. We might be all overreacting to the February sweeps, ratings are cyclical (ie: look at NBC at the national level between Nov. and Feb. sweeps). In addition it might be long before viewers return even if they make the switch back to a more traditional newscast, if they ever do come back (ie: WNBC at 5pm).

But there is no doubt that TheCW primetime is suppressing the ratings. That's why I think WPIX becoming an independent station after the contract is up with TheCW is quite possible. Wasn't the new Tribune CEO just saying he's interested in creating original programming?

It's also interesting to see if the Arsenio Hall Show will live up to its hype. I believe it's aiming for a 11pm start to compete with Conan and have a leg up against the late shows that start at 11:35pm , but If it does well, who knows, WPIX could move to a shortened newscast to 11pm and have the Arsenio Hall show at 10pm to benefit from the lead ins.

Absolutely. I try to follow the lead-ins for these networks before the newscasts....and I am sorry to say that I cannot name one CW show besides America's Next Top Model. They should call the network ANTMtv (sponsored by the CW). Perhaps the independent route would be the best way for PIX to go....get some more sitcoms, maybe do the MyNetwork thing and pick up some dramas in the daytime and primetime, keep your talk, but most important, BUILD ON YOUR NEWSCASTS!! Maybe even attempt to put newscasts on at weird times a la KCAL or even WTMJ...3PM news, 12:30PM...whatever. Just put all of your resources and efforts into it.

Absolutely. I try to follow the lead-ins for these networks before the newscasts....and I am sorry to say that I cannot name one CW show besides America's Next Top Model. They should call the network ANTMtv (sponsored by the CW). Perhaps the independent route would be the best way for PIX to go....get some more sitcoms, maybe do the MyNetwork thing and pick up some dramas in the daytime and primetime, keep your talk, but most important, BUILD ON YOUR NEWSCASTS!! Maybe even attempt to put newscasts on at weird times a la KCAL or even WTMJ...3PM news, 12:30PM...whatever. Just put all of your resources and efforts into it.

I've always thought a station should try newscasts at "weird times." I've thought WNYW should do a 1pm newscast for a while.

Well things aren't the same anymore.. The "9-5" work day really doesn't exist like it used to.. I think PIX would be great for launching like an 8:00pm newscast..many people don't get home till 6:30/7:00 and by the time they're ready to watch TV its near 8 and many do wanna catch up on the local news.. But the way things are right now who knows if PIX will ever be back to where they once were?

While everyone is talking about the atypical hour newscasts, does anyone know how WLNY does at 9pm? Or even how "The Couch" does? I don't think I've seen any numbers since they launched those newscasts. I know that the intent of WLNY is to expand into more of a KCAL-type station with more newscasts... but I imagine they wouldn't start doing too much of that unless the station is starting to build their numbers at 9pm.

Sister station KTLA has really beefed up its news offerings the last couple years including a 1 PM weekday newscast and a 8-10 pm newscast on Sundays, and morning news on the weekends.

Right now KTLA has news on:

Weekdays:

4-10 am

1-2 pm

6-7 pm

10-11pm

Saturdays:

5-7a

6-7p

10-11p

Sundays:

6-9a

6-7p

8-11p

It seems to be working too. In the past they never broke in for breaking news. Now, almost any major story they break into regular programming. THey have regained #1 position in the mornings, had their best 6-7pm ratings wise in November, and very competitive at 10pm.

For WPIX to make a turnaround, it's going to have to find a permanent news director who has a good gameplan to focus its newscasts more on hard news. I haven't heard anything about PIX finding a permanent replacement for Bill Carey (and he left about five(?) months ago), isn't John Houseman still just an interim ND?

WPIX has not yet found a permanent replacement for Bill Carey, though he resigned his post last October. As far as I know, John Houseman is still interim news director. Though if I had to make a guess, no one has been hired to fill the position because general manager Eric Meyrowitz may be replaced soon (hopefully).

I do agree that if Channel 11 is going to make a true turnaround, not only do they have to find a news director who is serious about news, but the "old guard" has to be replaced, including John Houseman. I think the focus of a new general manager should be to restore Channel 11's tattered reputation in news. Gut the entire management, and bring in his (or her) own people. Then, I believe, you will see real change.

For WPIX to make a turnaround, it's going to have to find a permanent news director who has a good gameplan to focus its newscasts more on hard news. I haven't heard anything about PIX finding a permanent replacement for Bill Carey (and he left about five(?) months ago), isn't John Houseman still just an interim ND?

the job listings for jodis and bill replacments are gone from the website so an anoument should be soon?

the job listings for jodis and bill replacments are gone from the website so an anoument should be soon?

I can't believe it's taken this long to name Jodi's replacement. Doesn't seem to bode well for Tamsen but who knows.

I can't believe it's taken this long to name Jodi's replacement. Doesn't seem to bode well for Tamsen but who knows.

It would be intriguing to see them hire someone from out of town, if they do hire someone. It would have to be someone with enough gumption/resume to challenge the ND or Director though.

If they want to build a strong anchor line up they need to go outside the station.. They should move Tamsen back to mornings with Craig Treadway and give them both more prominent roles in the 6-9 newcast.. The night is where there will be problems cause they don't want to use "older" talent like Kaity Tong or Marvin Scott.. In that case they need a new/young but strong anchor team at 5pm/10pm team.. They also need to give the anchors a desk not a podium in the middle of the studio or newsroom.. And the studio needs to be redone with a launch of new graphics that don't look like bubble gum and cotton candy.

Archived