February sweeps not good for WPIX; Changes expected "everywhere"

PIXfan

I've been seeing promos the last 2 weeks promoting folks to tune in to Tamsen for the PIX News @ 5 & 10....is this foreshadowing or are they really begging folks to watch what seems to be a fledging department?

I noticed at 7am and 8am they now have everyone sitting at the desk. Linda, Frances, Craig and Lisa.

Also this week Linda is subbing for Lisa who was subbing at the news desk so both of them were on 4:30am-9am.

It's odd they won't use a regular sub till Kirstin Cole returns from maternity leave.

Larry Wert, the new Tribune Stations boss says his primary focus will be on WPIX.

From Today's Timeout Chicago....

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/16156221/wert-gets-down-to-work-as-new-tribune-stations-boss

From the moment Larry Wert was named president of Tribune Broadcasting’s station group last month, speculation began about how quickly he’d start making over the company’s two Chicago flagships — WGN-Channel 9 and WGN-AM (720).

While both properties have been operating under interim managers since last fall, the radio station appeared to be in particularly critical condition, with revenues plunging and programming failures piling up. For a born-and-bred Chicagoan and broadcast veteran like Wert, restoring the once-dominant news/talk station to relevance and popularity in his hometown had to be his first order of business.

Or so a lot of people thought.

Now that he’s ensconced in his new office on the 17th floor of Tribune Tower and getting down to business, it turns out that the first station on Wert’s to-do list isn’t WGN. It’s WPIX-TV in New York.

Owned by Tribune Co. since its inception in 1948, WPIX has been without a permanent news director since October, when Bill Carey stepped down. (Among other things, Carey was credited with hiring Larry Mendte as a commentator.) Filling the news director job and making a few other adjustments in the largest of the 23 markets Wert oversees is a top priority, he told me Monday, his first official day on the job.

First of all they need to change the morning show.. They need 2 anchors for the early morning.. When Kirsten Cole comes back pair her with Craig Treadway.. If they wanna keep Lionel add him to the desk and he can do his thing every so often.. Make Lisa Mateo the permanant traffic and entertainment reporter even tho she deserves a bigger role.. I can't believe I'm about to say this but pair Larry Mendte with Tamsen Fadal at night since they seem to have chemistry.. And ofcourse put it back to a traditional newscast at a desk.. The weekend should be Kaity Tong with Marvin Scott.. As stated before they had one of the strongest/best talent line ups but Bill Carey screwed them royally and it's pretty sad.

Guest NewsHound

Well one thing is for sure, there is hope for WPIX. Bill Carey left his mark on the station and the scars are there, but they have a fighting chance.

Look at WCBS, they spent nearly a decade in the ratings toilet after Bill Carey came through and went on his rampage, and now they're making a lot greater strides than they were before.

The problem though is that WPIX is no WCBS. WCBS has the backing of the nation's #1 network which means better lead-ins.

What should be done, and I've been saying it all along, is WPIX needs to just drop the dead weight that is the CW network. They need to revert to independent and program their own time slots. No, it won't help their ratings, but hey, it could improve their image and much improve their tarnished news department.

What WPIX needs is a complete overhaul. I suggest reverting to Independent status once they rebuild their news department, then take on a very news-intensive schedule with popular first-run and off-network syndicated shows running on off hours. Let CBS pick up The CW for WLNY.

Once they get their act together and re-establish themselves in the New York market, they will become a solid station on their own in the big city. I think WPIX has finally realized they cannot and will not ever compete with the big players in town (WABC, WNBC, WCBS, WNYW) and there isn't much competition with WWOR (its just a watered-down carbon copy of WNYW these days) and WLNY (its just a watered-down carbon copy of WCBS these days). They need to focus on creating their own niche.

Might I suggest the aforementioned independent status with more news? How about creating a 9pm show with the ever-popular f-bomb dropping Sue Simmons? The thing is, WPIX could do it. Take a page from other independents in this country, most successfully KTVK or least successfully KRON.

So yes, WPIX can survive, but The CW is the anchor weighing down the sinking ship. Sure, a new news director and a new GM and a new outlook on things can help, but it won't drive them completely out of the ratings toilet. Not suggesting Independent status would do anything for them as well, but executed correctly it could be more beneficial to them to do so.

I don't think the CW is the problem. The news started to go down the toilet, when they got rid of the sports department, got rid of the financial news segment ( with Jane King or Deborah Kostroun, from Bloomberg Network), and started to add all kinds of useless commentaries (Lionel, and Mendte). And then they got rid of Kaity and Jim, and that was the end. When you replace the sports news segment, financial segment, by a Knuckle head of the day segment, and the tweet of the day segment, you pretty much loose all credibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived