KAKELand Getting a new set

TexasTVNews

But what will happen to the KAKEland WeatherPLEX?!?!?!?! (The largest broadcast weather set in the plains... and possibly the nation!)

Well, here your answer my friend.

485994_10151482183993979_852591757_n.jpg

529747_10151482184283979_156094034_n.jpg

563324_10151482184758979_2064805137_n.jpg

Another picture of their temporary news set, in the dark this time.

559873_10151482185063979_855807776_n.jpg

Apparently, their meteorologists are pretty pissed that they've

decided to axe the "Weatherplex" as they called it. After it was

installed who knows when back, they touted it ever since as being the

largest weather center for any TV station in the country, since it

literally took up about half of their entire set.

Apparently, their meteorologists are pretty pissed that they've

decided to axe the "Weatherplex" as they called it. After it was

installed who knows when back, they touted it ever since as being the

largest weather center for any TV station in the country, since it

literally took up about half of their entire set.

Whose to say they won't build "Weatherplex 2.0"?

It's almost a ten year old set, and it seems that's about as long as they tend to last on KAKE, so not a total surprise.

Gil Jimenez's sets tend to hold up fairly well in terms of design and maintenance. This one is no exception. Until the recent past,the of the on-camera version of the Weatherplex looked more utilitarian, with all of the servers and recievers in view and not covered up by graphics. Wonder if they'll keep that touch or not.

It's almost a ten year old set, and it seems that's about as long as they tend to last on KAKE, so not a total surprise.

Gil Jimenez's sets tend to hold up fairly well in terms of design and maintenance. This one is no exception. Until the recent past,the of the on-camera version of the Weatherplex looked more utilitarian, with all of the servers and recievers in view and not covered up by graphics. Wonder if they'll keep that touch or not.

Given that they've left that lone weatherpod standing over there and just placed some plain background behind it, it seriously makes me wonder if they're just doing a massive overhaul of the weatherplex.

Whose to say they won't build "Weatherplex 2.0"?

Yeah that's possible, but the vibe I was getting from it seemed as if they were completely getting rid of it.

• 4 weeks later...

The temporary set remains in the secondary studio, but it seems the weather section is coming along somewhat.

This week is the first time a glimpse of the new space has appeared on-air. Really not much to see here at this time though...

KAKELANDWX_zpscc6e044a.jpg

The new set looks pretty generic so far, but shouldn't they have painted the floor first before putting all the stuff up?

And if you look at the second pic, you can see where the old WeatherPlex used to be.

The new set looks pretty generic so far, but shouldn't they have painted the floor first before putting all the stuff up?

And if you look at the second pic, you can see where the old WeatherPlex used to be.

Judging by the multicolored floor, it's tradition to paint the floor after the set is installed.

The photos posted below the screen cap are about a week old (3/30) - so I'm not sure where the current version of the weather center would be on-set, if it had even been installed at that point. Good to have an idea of what's coming though.

I think the graphics may also get a refresh during all of this as well. They had a ticker with an updated look running for election results in the past week, and they've tweaked some of their existing graphics for teasers over the past few months. Something tells me that if those changes come, it'll be something a bit more generic, like an existing Gray look. As of late, many of KAKE's online graphics have started featuring a red and blue scheme currently used on sister station KXII. Not sure how well that'd work in the market since even though it would look decent, it'd look like a lower quality version of KWCH's package, which (IMHO) still looks reasonably fresh almost five years since it's debut.

The photos posted below the screen cap are about a week old (3/30) - so I'm not sure where the current version of the weather center would be on-set, if it had even been installed at that point. Good to have an idea of what's coming though.

I think the graphics may also get a refresh during all of this as well. They had a ticker with an updated look running for election results in the past week, and they've tweaked some of their existing graphics for teasers over the past few months. Something tells me that if those changes come, it'll be something a bit more generic, like an existing Gray look. As of late, many of KAKE's online graphics have started featuring a red and blue scheme currently used on sister station KXII. Not sure how well that'd work in the market since even though it would look decent, it'd look like a lower quality version of KWCH's package, which (IMHO) still looks reasonably fresh almost five years since it's debut.

WIBW-TV in Topeka has red and blue graphics (per Gray TV's) request with Topeka in the background as a start of their newscasts (for example: you're watching 13 news this morning with _____, _____, and ______.) is that what you mean? and also they have a blue ticker on the lower part of the TV screenand yes WIBW-TV, KAKE-TV and KXII-DT are sister stations since they are owned and operated in different markets.

Now, my other question is...is the new set going to look like WIBW-TV's set in Topeka or different otherwise?

WIBW-TV in Topeka has red and blue graphics (per Gray TV's) request with Topeka in the background as a start of their newscasts (for example: you're watching 13 news this morning with _____' date=' _____, and ______.) is that what you mean? and also they have a blue ticker on the lower part of the TV screen[/font']and yes WIBW-TV, KAKE-TV and KXII-DT are sister stations since they are owned and operated in different markets.

Now, my other question is...is the new set going to look like WIBW-TV's set in Topeka or different otherwise?

No, WIBW has one of the more common graphics packages that Gray offers to it's affiliates. That specific one is also used on KOLN/KGIN, WCTV, WIFR & WTOK. KXII has a different design that none of the others seem to be using at this point. Not unprecedented though since KAKE is an example of one of the company's stations using a custom look.

As for the set, no. At this point, based on the snaps, KAKE's will appear more up to date. WIBW is using a design from the Jimenez firm, who seemed to be quite popular w/ Gray back in the previous decade.

No, WIBW has one of the more common graphics packages that Gray offers to it's affiliates. That specific one is also used on KOLN/KGIN, WCTV, WIFR & WTOK. KXII has a different design that none of the others seem to be using at this point. Not unprecedented though since KAKE is an example of one of the company's stations using a custom look.

As for the set, no. At this point, based on the snaps, KAKE's will appear more up to date. WIBW is using a design from the Jimenez firm, who seemed to be quite popular w/ Gray back in the previous decade.

Okay, I understand about the graphics. The last time I was down around the Huchinson-Wichita area and watched KAKE is when they rolled out the red graphics and used the branding called "KAKEland". now I understand why the two sets are different from each other since WIBW is using a design from Gil Jimenez and their set is completely done sometime in 2011 or last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived