LIN For Sale

Ntropolis

Caught this little piece of news on VARTV...

:// LIN TV up for sale

| Friday, May 18, 2007

The owners of WAVY (10/NBC) Portsmouth and WVBT (43/FOX) Virginia Beach, LIN TV, have put out the "for sale" sign. There are a total 29 TV stations in the Group.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! This is pretty big for WISH,WAVY,WTNH, and some stations that LIN has owned for a long time. The big question is who will take over these stations. Who would you like to see run your favorite LIN station?

curios to see what is going to happen to KNSD and KXAS. NBC owns 76% of them each with LIN owning the remaining 24%. I wonder if NBC will buy out the remaining 24% and make these complete NBC O&O's

I would hate for them to become an o&o and possibly become branded some name like "CBS 8".

And even worse, how much of a musical mess would Enforcer NG sound like with the Back Home Again in Indiana signature? Hopefully the new owners don't mess with traditions too too much...

If WISH became an O&O, they theoretically could keep In-Sink (since The Enforcer isn't TRULY the standardized theme but it slowly becoming it, since KPIX has used Battery and Always Worth Your Time instead of Ehe Enforcer, and WJZ still uses Chroma Cues for now...)

They could, but I dont want it to happen. When I go to indy during the summer (I have been) I always watch WISH. Now, if the new owners mess everything up, I may watch WTHR for my source for news when im out of town. The worst owner we could get is Sincrap and/or Nexstar.

The big question is this, Which LIN Stations going to O&O or owned by some other television companies?

In my fact (For myself), my money is on KXAN because since KEYE is no longer CBS O&O, NBC-Universal

could be buying KXAN and become NBC O&O. That way, Austin will still have 2 O&O's.

I wonder if Gannett would be interested in WLUK. Gannett owns several newspapers within WLUK's viewing area and are a major media force in this part of the state.

Another (unlikely) possibility is if FOX made them an O&O. FOX (SF Broadcasting) partially owned them back in the 1990s and WLUK & WITI are pretty close.

I am having a hard time coming up with other companies that could potentially buy WLUK. Television isn't a good business to be in these days...

I don't think NBC and CBS are in the buying mood with their sell-offs of lower-market stations...

That is what I was thinking. As nice as it would be for these stations to be network O&O's, it is highly unlikely that NBC and CBS would move an inch towards purchasing the LIN stations. You can blame NBC's problems on the 2.0 :(

Uh, question...

arent the eyeball and the Peacock near to or ascloseasthis to the broadcast ownership cap?

Which leads to this prediction, look for yet another buyout by a private firm or two

Which leads to this prediction, look for yet another buyout by a private firm or two

That's what I'm thinking. They're gonna pull a NYT/Local TV... sell them as a group to some investment firm and start up a new company.

Archived