LIN For Sale

Ntropolis

First LIN Broadcasting, now Nexstar Television? What the hell's going on with these ownerships!

Not to mention Clear Channel, the New York Times, Tribune, CBS (some stations), Ion, and, apparently, Univision.

This article might shed some light on things. Or it might not.

What is everybody's obsession with these stations becoming O&Os, especially in a time when some O&Os are selling off stations?

That's what I'd like to know. This obsession isn't limited to this thread, either; I've seen it in many other threads around here over the months, and it's starting to get old. Is being an O&O considered prestigious or something?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From watching the Friday Nightly Business REport it is reported just as an explorative option for LIN to sell off the stations. JP Morgan is the bank looking to find companies that are interested. This is not set in stone!

If any company is going out of business of is selling off their stations, I hope it is Sincrap.

I second that!, Their stations don't have any "real" weather, Accuweather should be called Very-Not-Accurate-weather

Posted on: May 19, 2007, 07:33:56 PMPosted by: Ntropolis

Insert Quote

Quote from: WANEFan on May 19, 2007, 07:30:07 PM

Anyone want to bet that WANE will end up in the wretched clutches of Nexstar or, worse yet, Sincrap?

After all, Fort Wayne is the kind of market that Sincrap and (especially) Nexstar both like. However, if Nexstar buys WANE, they would have to sell WFFT to another owner, but I'm quite sure that they would form an LMA so they could retain some influence at WFFT... and maybe launch a WANE-produced newscast as well.

Personally, I'm hoping for the best, but I'm betting on the worst...

Nexstar may not buy WANE because they're considering selling their stations as well...

Someone beat me to that! We have heard moreso an outright sale of all assets of Nexstar to one company. I doubt that will happen, because those assets include a $400 million debt. It brings up what would happen to Nexstar's duopolies and triopolies. We do know, that this could fetch a mighty hefty return for stock holders if the company sells, but we don't know what would happen on a local station level. I'm curious to see who would pick up some of the Nexstar stations, and when they're picked up, what, if anything, would change. My Nexstar station has finalized some purchase orders for new equipment for this year. We're supposed to be tapeless, fully digitial, and HD *Ready* by December 07/January 08. Nexstar is beginning to invest again into their stations, which could be a sign they'd like to sell. They could achieve a much higher profit if they make their stations worth a bit more. Like I said though, this should be interesting, with LIN already on the market, and if Nexstar goes on the market, some station groups have the chance to take a good handful of stations.

A ownership groups will make moves with the stock market at all time highs. I think 1 darkhorse is e.w. scripps. On the basis they are looking to potentialy dump the print media, when they just mentioned it there stocks went up. Since the announcement, they have leveled off. I think also they would aquirre a couple NBC stations to part with bottom dwellers WMAR,WFTS, and couple others. Those folks @ Tyson's Creek (Gannett) can't honestly be looking for more without getting rid some they have now.

I was thinking that Gannett couldn't by WISH/WNDY/WIIH because they own the Indianapolis Star. I was looking back on WALA's history and it said Gannett had owned them for one day and had to sell it because Gannett owned (and still does) the Pensacola News Journal. I'm I correct, if not please correct me.

The old time media companies (Hearst, Gannett, Belo) don't have the cash to buy up large groups of properties anymore. Groups that are looking to sell prefer to sell to one entity.

Just like Nexstar, LIN's largest shareholder is an equity fund (Hicks, Muse Tate). If LIN is sold, it will go to another equity fund fronted by a former executive of another broadcast group.

That's the business of TV these days.

What about Liberty Media buying up one of the station groups? The company owns WFRV and maybe they want to expand their television holdings. John Malone seems to want to expand his holdings. It will be interesting to see what he would do with a large group of stations.

matt.

Archived