WPTY Memphis...can it get any worse?

memnews1

As Memphians know, WPTY (ABC) seems to get worse and worse. They were awesome in the 90s (owned by ClearChannel), sold to Newport, and later to Nexstar (current owner). They've gone from a desk in their studio to a full stand-up show with a glass table (looking to be from Walmart or the like)...now I turn on and see

]this!!![/url] Really? A chroma key show? Are you kidding me? At least put a picture of Downtown Memphis or something in the background instead of the stupid rotating 24 logo. Not to mention, they aren't even HD yet. They are 16x9 widescreen.

Don't worry, it's about to change. They are getting KLRT's set from Little Rock which was recently merged with KARK which will be a massive improvement. Newport didn't care about them at all and made it visible. Nexstar seems open to giving them a chance to compete again. I've already noticed improvements in the content lately and production values will soon follow.

If you think clear channel gave a damn about them, they really didn't after 2002-03. There is a reason I jokingly named the station "wonderous pity". Even though on this board we bash nexstar for its buying spree and overabundance of stations, this one purchase actually made sense and nexstar seems willing to invest. Right now station management is playing with a 2 of spades, a joker, an instruction card, a 5 of clubs and a 7 of hearts. When nexstar finalizes changes here in the next few months, the product will be jawdropping for a station that's needed it.

Yeah, Clear Channel stopped caring after the 2002-03 rebrand, though the station itself continued to give good effort through that period, and it actually led to the best success 24 has ever had in the ratings (they briefly threatened WHBQ in a few slots for 3rd). Then Newport came and ruined it completely.

The biggest change I've noticed since December is that effort is back and they're trying to produce good content again. Example: In the Newport era the only place they kept the willingness for some form of long-form coverage was severe weather, and that was because the chief meteorologist kept firm control over the ability to do that. Now, just last week, they were on the air at Midnight covering breaking news, after the other 3 had left for the night. I've never seen them do anything like that before.

Now that WPTY has named its new ND, which actually just ended up being the assistant (and I think that was the perfect move), as well as its other remaining management positions, I suspect they will be ready to move forward with rebranding. How drastic it will be beyond the new set and just how long it takes remains to be seen.

Don't worry, it's about to change. They are getting KLRT's set from Little Rock which was recently merged with KARK which will be a massive improvement. Newport didn't care about them at all and made it visible. Nexstar seems open to giving them a chance to compete again. I've already noticed improvements in the content lately and production values will soon follow.

Really? That's good news. Sounds like they are trying to get back on the right track after all...they had really been going downhill in the last decade or so.

Really? That's good news. Sounds like they are trying to get back on the right track after all...they had really been going downhill in the last decade or so.

Yeah, Joyce Peterson confirmed it a few weeks ago. It had been rumored prior to that. It's actually quite a nice set if they incorporate it all and the comparison won't even be in the same league given what the setup is now.

I also noticed last night as I was watching that they were actually using music for their weather opener. I couldn't quite make out what it was, but it seemed to fit well with what looked to be a new weather open. They might have been using it for a while since I don't watch it all too often.

I also noticed last night as I was watching that they were actually using music for their weather opener. I couldn't quite make out what it was, but it seemed to fit well with what looked to be a new weather open. They might have been using it for a while since I don't watch it all too often.

Yes, they have a music package now. It's Stephen Arnold's Inergy. It may not be easily recognizable because they aren't fully incorporating it, at least yet.

With all the discussion about WREG and the Local TV sell (and possible Nexstar involvement), WPTY has posted another slew of new job openings today. Most are producer oriented, but one I was happy to see was for morning co-anchor. Newport forced them to anchor a 3 hour production (2 on WPTY, 1 on WLMT) solo which made it completely noncompetitive and boring, and now Nexstar is set to correct yet another of their missteps.

Another good sign that Nexstar is indeed invested in WPTY's future (and why I don't think they'll care any about WREG's sell).

• 3 weeks later...

The Commercial Appeal newspaper has an article which indicates Nexstar is seeking permits to construct a 185-foot TV tower, satellite dishes and other broadcast facilities in a business center the east side of Memphis. At the same time, Nexstar is apparently leading renovations on a 25,000 square foot building in that same area.

They won't confirm it in the article, but sounds like WPTY/WLMT may be moving, which would at least explain why there hasn't been movement on the KLRT set in their current facility yet.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/apr/12/new-broadcast-facilities-being-readied-for-owner/?CID=happeningnow

I think this might be one of Nexstar's best moves. I'm actually rooting for them for once.

I second that. This is something Sinclair is not doing. Investing into its stations. And so far Nexstar has been doing the heavy lifting in Memphis. Kudos to Nexstar for that.

I think this might be one of Nexstar's best moves. I'm actually rooting for them for once.

Have to agree. Never would have imagined they'd actually move the entire station and basically start from scratch. Can't imagine it being anything else given what that article indicates though. This would also help them significantly bolster their operations of WJKT in Jackson.

Obviously this would push back the timing of the coming overhaul a good bit but it could really be worth it in the end.

I wonder how far they're willing to go. A real sign of commitment would be to change WPTY's calls and go without news in the process — pull a WIAT, basically.

Frankly, WIAT's example is very telling. Similar market size (Birmingham was at #54 at the time of the WBMG-WIAT switch; it's larger because right after that, the Tuscaloosa and Anniston markets were folded in and B'ham jumped 12 slots — Memphis is #49), similar position (long-running third-place finisher, though here it's not as long-running), and eventually helped them become a #1 in the market. In 1997, had you told the management of WBMG that they'd be in first in news within the next 15 years, they'd be laughing you out of town. But that's what they are.

Nexstar, I want you to succeed in making WPTY competitive. And perhaps you need to take a page from Birmingham's market leader to do that.

I wonder too. WIAT is a good example and they struggled for years and years. Can't imagine them pulling news, even temporarily, but it will be interesting to see what unfolds next and this development was unexpected enough.

In case some can't read the article because it's paywalled, Nexstar apparently paid $814,000 for this building back in February, which was appraised at 2 million, a good deal for them, and the city council is expected to approve these permits next week - they've already been recommended by the appropriate review boards.

Only shame in this, the huge gap it will be not seeing Mark Walden a part of it.

ETA: ABC24 just announced that it's hired WHBQ EP Eric Helvie as its new executive producer.

In case some can't read the article because it's paywalled, Nexstar apparently paid $814,000 for this building back in February, which was appraised at 2 million, a good deal for them, and the city council is expected to approve these permits next week - they've already been recommended by the appropriate review boards.

I think this is talking about their current building.... This is a quote from the Memphis Business Jouranl back in January. " In addition to the stations, Nexstar also bought the building that

houses them at 2701 Union Ave. for $814,000. Built in 1963, the 55,980-square-foot office building sits on 2.7 acres, and was appraised for $2 million in 2012." Here is a linc to this story as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2013/01/15/new-abc-24-owner-hires-diercks-as.html

Not sure if the Commercial Appeal has their info right or not... But can't tell becasue I will not pay to read it.

Overall I am excited to see what is in store for the Twin Staions... WMC, WREG, and WHBQ might want watch their backs.

From what I understood in that CA article, the figure was for the existing building on Union at Poplar (which they acquired along with the stations in November), and not the one on Shelby Oaks (which was once a call center for a telecommunications company). My best guess is Nexstar is only leasing the new space at the moment, and not buying it outright.

This wouldn't be the first time the stations have moved, though. Before the Twin Stations and WJKT combined under one roof at their current location, WPTY had their own facilities on Union just west of East Parkway (their old broadcast transmitter is still there in the back), and WLMT was once located on Directors Cove near the airport (Their sales offices were there, at least. Not sure about their transmitter).

If Nexstar does plan to move the stations into the new space and sell the old building, that would place them the furthest east of the other three TV stations in the city of Memphis (WREG is down by the Mississippi River, WMC is in Midtown, and WHBQ is near the University of Memphis).

Ahh, both of you are correct. I misread that part. My mistake - thanks for the correction.

TennTV1983 you're right that they'd probably only be leasing this new space for the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't have any true news to update on, but hints and reading between the lines through twitter lately seem to all but confirm WPTY's imminent plans to move. For example, Joyce Peterson said yesterday she was starting a #thingswewontmiss tweet every day until the "BIG" day. Yesterday's first post was about leaking pipes from the ceiling of WPTY's current building (with a pic attached). In reply, KARK meteorologist Pat Walker (who's doing fill-in there following Mark Walden's death last month) replied "not much longer now".

Nexstar is apparently keeping things hushed about any official news of this, but the news article last month combined with these twitter hints is building confidence with me that WPTY is on the move, and maybe it's not as far off as I was thinking at first.

...and here's the first picture of ABC24's new building as it's under construction from Joyce Peterson

BJSluNfCAAES0pj.jpg

"Pro makeup artist making me pretty at place I'm not allowed 2 tell you about until 5pm."

Archived