Gray Expands in Nebraska

CircleSeven

Gray Television is Expanding in Nebraska. Gray owns the NBC station WOWT in Omaha, & the CBS stations KOLN in Lincoln & KGIN in Grand Island.

One of KOLN's translators KNPL-LD in North Platte will become its separate CBS affiliate come September 1st. TVNewsCheck posted the news earlier this afternoon. KOLN will be branding its North Platte station as "10/11 North Platte". KNPL will have its first local North Platte-based 6:30pm Newscast. North Platte is in market #209, just one ahead of Glendive.

Gray already bought for Colins Broadcasting's KSNB in Superior and is expecting to air MyNetworkTV programming along with local programming at around April 1st.

As far as KNPL-LD is concerned, I have to commend Gray for investing in low-power stations and giving them major network affiliations where one of the networks doesn't have a local home. Although it is reminiscent of the limboed plan by New Moon Communications to create major network affiliates out of LPTVs in markets where one of the Big Three didn't have an affiliate. Gray just had the ability to carry it out.

I'm not sure why they are choosing to apply the "10/11" branding to their soon-to-be-converted North Platte LPTV and their Superior station KSNB; KSNB could have just used the "MyTV Central Nebraska" branding for KSNB and brand KNPL something else. Either that or change the collective branding of KOLN, KGIN and KNPL to something else, kind of like how LIN's Kansas stations (save for KSNT) are branded as the "Kansas State Network" or how KHGI brands itself and its translators as "NTV". Applying the "10/11" brand to two stations that won't have virtual channels on 10.1 or 11.1 seems a little confusing.

KNPL-LD (RF UHF 25) which is at this time on of KOLN's translators assumingly uses the 10.1 virtual channel, probably be the virtual channel once they officially launch the channel in September. I assume they want to have the branding like the similarities of KSN or KAKEland or KELOland. But I do agree with you. I don't think they should call KSNB "10/11 Central Nebraska". I mean that station won't be CBS anyway. But I guess the people in that chunk of the Cornhusker state know the 10/11 branding, so I guess its gonna stick.

Speaking of New Moon, they are selling that Dothan station to Gray (which also owns WTVY). So Gray will probably sign on WDON-LP as an NBC station. Sad that Gray didn't save the Jackson, TN, Jonesboro, AR & Ottumwa, IA ones. Those will probably be D.O.A.

KNPL-LD (RF UHF 25) which is at this time on of KOLN's translators assumingly uses the 10.1 virtual channel, probably be the virtual channel once they officially launch the channel in September. I assume they want to have the branding like the similarities of KSN or KAKEland or KELOland. But I do agree with you. I don't think they should call KSNB "10/11 Central Nebraska". I mean that station won't be CBS anyway. But I guess the people in that chunk of the Cornhusker state know the 10/11 branding, so I guess its gonna stick.

Speaking of New Moon, they are selling that Dothan station to Gray (which also owns WTVY). So Gray will probably sign on WDON-LP as an NBC station. Sad that Gray didn't save the Jackson, TN, Jonesboro, AR & Ottumwa, IA ones. Those will probably be D.O.A.

According to RabbitEars, KNPL-LD's virtual channel is 11.1.

It seems that the LPTV network affiliates that Gray has been developing in the past year are only in markets where the group owns a full-power station that are absent an affiliate of another major network (except for the Fox affiliation in Parkersburg, West Virginia, which had previously been on a subchannel of WTAP before it was moved to WOVA-LD), they do own WTVY in Dothan, but don't have any stations in the other three markets.

Call sign in Dothan is changing to WRGX.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Why 6:30 and 10pm? Does that mean the newscasts from Lincoln/Grand Island are on there too?

Yes. KOLN/KGIN broadcasts Wheel of Fortune at 6:30. That show has been blacked out in North Platte because KNOP holds the rights to Wheel in North Platte.

Bumping because 10/11 North Platte started today. KOLN states that KNPL will start airing local North Platte newscasts tomorrow.

1011NP.jpg

And here's their set. Very superb even in one of the lowest markets in the country (#209)

1185713_10151795265088057_29874102_n.jpg

Image Courtesy of Abby Turpin's Facebook Wall.

is that the old set from KAKE-TV aka KAKEland by chance? to me it looks familar.

Bumping because 10/11 North Platte started today. KOLN states that KNPL will start airing local North Platte newscasts tomorrow.

1011NP.jpg

And here's their set. Very superb even in one of the lowest markets in the country (#209)

1185713_10151795265088057_29874102_n.jpg

Image Courtesy of Abby Turpin's Facebook Wall.

And shag carpeting... Hmmmm.

I will stipulate that they did a fairly nice job with the logo. Not the greatest. But certainly not as bad as the KIEM logo.

• 9 months later...

LPTV signals used to suck. In the digital world, however, they are great. A 15 kw digital signal covers an unbelieveable amount of territory. I'm surprised more stations don't use LPTV signals in this manner to microcast to their various submarkets.

Archived