KCBS using old "Newstime" close for 11pm a few times this week...SpecuLAtion, or just nostalgia!?

rah6448

TVNewsTalk: The only place where "progress" involves restoring decades old logos and 10-year-old music packages.

But really, am I the only person here that likes the CBS O&O package? It's clean and modern, and personally I think it's a package that could be used in virtually any market in the country without seeming out of place. The use of Arial in some cases is disappointing, but I've seen worse fonts used on-air before.

The majority of the 615 music mentioned in this thread needs to be put out to pasture. It can't hold up against some of Stephen Arnold's recent work or work like the Fuze Arts package for Hearst.

TVNewsTalk: The only place where "progress" involves restoring decades old logos and 10-year-old music packages.

But really, am I the only person here that likes the CBS O&O package? It's clean and modern, and personally I think it's a package that could be used in virtually any market in the country without seeming out of place. The use of Arial in some cases is disappointing, but I've seen worse fonts used on-air before.

The majority of the 615 music mentioned in this thread needs to be put out to pasture. It can't hold up against some of Stephen Arnold's recent work or work like the Fuze Arts package for Hearst.

Nope. I like it too.

Since KCBS is using the theme that they've been using since the start of the 2000s after their sister KCAL has been using the signature since the station's relaunch in '89 with 'CAL's current calls, I'll welcome KCNC, WBZ, and WFOR to do the same to switch back to their pre-O&O themes. (Especially, WFOR and WBZ where those stations used their commissioned custom themes.)

Weeters, the O&O package is also used by TWO non-O&O stations owned by LiN-- KOIN (Local6 don't call it "CBS6. Please?!?) and WIAT (CBS42, should've just stuck with just plain "Channel 42"). No offense, but when the package spreads to two stations that are not owned by The Eye, the package is ruined more times over. (Arial been ruined the package, so did Enforcer.) I still hate the O&O GFX and its been 3 years the Eye's stations have been using the package. Note to Peter Dunn-- just give it up. Let the stations have their own alterations to the GFX (see KYW's arch-rival, WCAU. You heard right.) or just let the stations have their own ORIGINAL GFX and themes. (HINT, HINT on CBS NEWS' "Original Reporting" slogan...)

I'd like the CBS O&O look better if CBS made a few changes.

1) Stop using Enforcer. None of Gari's versions of the Channel 2 News theme have been faithful enough to the original (to be fair, The Palmer News Package and News in Focus aren't faithful versions either). The closest he got was Series 1, which was ruined by the synthesized sound heard at the start of the primary open cut.

2) Stop using freaking Arial. Is it a clean font? Yes. Is it an acceptable font for personal use on a regular basis? Yes. But it screams "I'm a high schooler with no originality half a***** a project by throwing together a PowerPoint presentation."

3) Fix the glass eye in the intro. It looks like two eyes on top of each other. WCBS's newscast intros in 2006 featured a good eye. The eye used as a background graphic on WDJT's newscasts is another example of an acceptable looking dimensional eye.

Since KCBS is using the theme that they've been using since the start of the 2000s after their sister KCAL has been using the signature since the station's relaunch in '89 with 'CAL's current calls, I'll welcome KCNC, WBZ, and WFOR to do the same to switch back to their pre-O&O themes. (Especially, WFOR and WBZ where those stations used their commissioned custom themes.)

As I've made clear, I'm no fan of Enforcer, but it's an upgrade over The Pride Collection. It sounded like cheap production music you might hear on a syndicated morning show and had no urgency. I think WBZ should comission a new version of the Today's 4 theme.

Weeters' date=' the O&O package is also used by TWO non-O&O stations owned by LiN-- KOIN (Local6 don't call it "CBS6. Please?!?) and WIAT (CBS42, should've just stuck with just plain "Channel 42"). No offense, but when the package spreads to two stations that are not owned by The Eye, the package is ruined more times over. (Arial been ruined the package, so did Enforcer.) I still hate the O&O GFX and its been 3 years the Eye's stations have been using the package. Note to Peter Dunn--[b'] just give it up.[/b] Let the stations have their own alterations to the GFX (see KYW's arch-rival, WCAU. You heard right.) or just let the stations have their own ORIGINAL GFX and themes. (HINT, HINT on CBS NEWS' "Original Reporting" slogan...)

KYW isn't anybody's rival. They're a station that rested on their laurels for such a long time that by the time they were willing to move on from their legacy, it was too late to do them any good.

I'm with some of the above posters in liking the o&o package. Could certain things be better? Sure. But overall I do like it... If WBZ EVER brought back pride collection I might have to start using the mute button. Sounds shallow, but for 3-4 years I had to endure the same repetitive cuts over and over again and at this point I've had my fill.

On the Boston Marathon promos I've started to notice the lighter blue WBZ logo being used without the 4. It's not totally unusual to see the logo without the 4, but it is the first time I've seen it without navy blue since before the o&o switch.

Also, I'm not sure if any other market has seen these graphics, but I just did for the first time yesterday evening. Definitely a lot better than just using plain L3's for the tease, and it sounds to me like a cut of NG1..

I would like to see Arial replaced with something nicer to look at and less cheap looking, like Benton Sans.

WBZ's on to something using gray there, I think. Using colors other than blue more prominently would definitely help.

(And personally, I prefer Pride to Enforcer, and wish that they'd stuck with those VDO graphics or some variation thereof; something based on those are what they should have standardized around)

I'm with some of the above posters in liking the o&o package. Could certain things be better? Sure. But overall I do like it... If WBZ EVER brought back pride collection I might have to start using the mute button. Sounds shallow, but for 3-4 years I had to endure the same repetitive cuts over and over again and at this point I've had my fill.

On the Boston Marathon promos I've started to notice the lighter blue WBZ logo being used without the 4. It's not totally unusual to see the logo without the 4, but it is the first time I've seen it without navy blue since before the o&o switch.

Also, I'm not sure if any other market has seen these graphics, but I just did for the first time yesterday evening. Definitely a lot better than just using plain L3's for the tease, and it sounds to me like a cut of NG1..

I've seen a few promos with graphics that look similar to the start of the open.

This. I mean, seriously, this.

If you swap out Arial with, let's say, Avenir, the graphics would be just about perfect. They were a breath of fresh air when they debuted on KYW (I absolutely HATED that Hothaus package), and they still look attractive now, especially when they upgraded their graphics system to something that can support it better.

And yeah, it's time to look to the future. The new packages we've seen this year from Stephen Arnold were great, Fuze Artz/inthegroove's Hearst package is amazing, and I personally think Gari hit a home run with "This is Home". Lets see some new stuff, please.

I think the more pressing problem is how homogenous their stations are getting. KYW in particular now seems to be "CBS 2 South" in look, feel, and tone. Hell, it's gotten to the point where they are USING WCBS-TV ANCHORS AS FILL-INS. It doesn't feel like a Philly station at this point - it could be coming from Genericville, USA.

As for why WCAU is able to get away with basically not having the group package (I don't even think Artworks is creating graphics for them anymore), well, their ultimate owner watches their network on that station...

This. I mean, seriously, this.

If you swap out Arial with, let's say, Avenir, the graphics would be just about perfect. They were a breath of fresh air when they debuted on KYW (I absolutely HATED that Hothaus package), and they still look attractive now, especially when they upgraded their graphics system to something that can support it better.

And yeah, it's time to look to the future. The new packages we've seen this year from Stephen Arnold were great, Fuze Artz/inthegroove's Hearst package is amazing, and I personally think Gari hit a home run with "This is Home". Lets see some new stuff, please.

I think the more pressing problem is how homogenous their stations are getting. KYW in particular now seems to be "CBS 2 South" in look, feel, and tone. Hell, it's gotten to the point where they are USING WCBS-TV ANCHORS AS FILL-INS. It doesn't feel like a Philly station at this point - it could be coming from Genericville, USA.

As for why WCAU is able to get away with basically not having the group package (I don't even think Artworks is creating graphics for them anymore), well, their ultimate owner watches their network on that station...

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!! If they're going to release a graphics package, make it with a decent font that actually makes the graphics look somewhat classy while being low-budget!! Additionally, your ideas regarding where new music could come from/what kind could potentially work out here, since LA seems to look for edgy music...Just take a look at what KCAL did with Image News!

However, while on the music front, CBS 2 had meanwhile went back and used that drab cut of Enforcer at the close again tonight at the 11pm. However, I'm glad it was the signature only, and not the "lets play the (over-repetitive) bumper for a minute, then tack on the signature!!" thing that they always do when they end early/or on weekends. Conversely, though, I think they should REALLY have gone with

for a close, which you wouldn't have to go too far for since it's in the same version (Hey CBS 2...wink wink, nudge nudge!)

The exception is when they actually DO HAVE a full close with credits on SOME weekend newscasts (which is RARE of late)...however an instrumental version of

is played then, which is actually...umm... kinda better than what they use otherwise, in my opinion)

Lastly, WCBS anchors as fill-ins? Seriously? All the way from New York? It's nice of WCBS to lend a hand, but yet again they're from NY and primarily cover NY news!! Excuse me a moment....Hulkie, may I piggyback off of your avatar for a moment? I ask because this is my thought:

285741_10151503326007288_525248592_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Saw that yesterday. I was wondering if it was new or if they were using a generic one because they were either simulcasting or bouncing back/forth from 2 to 9?? I noticed the usual KCAL or CBS Eye logo was absent from the LIVE cg.

[ATTACH]1192.IPB[/ATTACH]

Archived