KCBS using old "Newstime" close for 11pm a few times this week...SpecuLAtion, or just nostalgia!?

rah6448

Given the discussion about possible changes to the CBS O&O's per discussion in this topic, I figured I'd put my two cents in about an interesting thing I've noticed happening these past two nights on CBS 2. Both last night and tonight at 11pm, I've noticed KCBS was using the cut from "Newstime" that they used for bumpers and the full close before the...(wait for it)..."Blandardization" of the O&O group (go to 0:15 in

for what I'd heard,
for the ALMOST whole cut...the signature at the end was heard TOO!!) The icing on the cake would be to hear this (starts at 0:15) tomorrow at the close of the 11am newscast!

Digressing to what would be the "elephant in the room" (so to speak), I would rather like this to be a sign (or rather part of) any theoretical changes. While it could be a number of things, from a preference change by the directing staff, or missing CD, to perhaps those changes that are creating murmurs of discussion on these forums (hopefully the cooler ones we've speculated)...I'm holding out hope that new things are indeed on the way. I'd especially perhaps a return to old "Newstime"....but by now you'd probably figured it out!

Alright, enough about my thoughts....what are yours? I'm definitely interested, and also if anyone else has noticed anything new as well!

P.S: SpecuLAtion seemed very apropos as it's a term dealing with speculation within the LA market (and to me looks really cool as a possibly, "hash-tagably" awesome idea for a new thread name-but that's for the mods to decide)

And tonight makes three...heard Newstime again at close of the 11pm and love it!! =D The cut of Enforcer they've used until recently was...well....rather depressing. (Cue HulkieD's avatar pic)

I've never really been a fan of the CBS Enforcer collection. The package seems so boring and generic. Would be nice if the CBS O&O's were allowed to go back and at least choose their own music. KCBS/KCAL should go back and use the original cuts of Newsforce/Newstime since it not only sounds better but it fits the stations a bit better as well. The newer cuts of those packages sounded a little too techno-y and quite frankly were crap to the original cuts. In regards to the Newstime cuts on the 11pm news, by now it's no coincidence. I'm pretty sure that someone at the station would have pointed out already that they were using the wrong closing music, so maybe they plan on going back to the newstime package soon.

In regards to the Newstime cuts on the 11pm news, by now it's no coincidence. I'm pretty sure that someone at the station would have pointed out already that they were using the wrong closing music, so maybe they plan on going back to the newstime package soon.

From the look of it, they're pulling a WSOC, as they used Image News as their closing music well before it began to be used in the open... Wonder how long it will take to make the transition...

If KCBS goes back to Newstime, KDKA better go back to KD Prime!

Let us hope that WFOR will go back to "Moving Forward" or "News Source", "The Enforcer" just doesn't fit South Florida at all.

Also, WCCO should go back to "Hometown Community" because that theme fits them well.

I'd like for KCNC to dump the circa-1994 cuts of Enforcer, myself. I don't like Enforcer's older cuts very much, and quite frankly, much as I like a lot of it, that synthesized Gari music sounds cheesy and outdated these days (though stations that have been using it forever can probably get away with it).

Note: I started writing this before channel2 posted his comment.

Let us hope that WFOR will go back to "Moving Forward" or "News Source", "The Enforcer" just doesn't fit South Florida at all.

WFOR goes back to Moving Forward. Damn Straight. And could this logo be worked back into the graphics? Please!

wfor_logo.jpg

As for KCNC, I don't think Newstime ever really fit here and KCNC has no idea how to use Enforcer. They have the entire collection and keep switching back from cuts from one package to another. I notice that the morning is often the roughest. They use News in Focus for promos, open with NG2 and then using a breaking news cut from the 2'nd disc of the original package, I believe. The breaking news cut doesn't even finish, it just cuts out!

Looking at the history of KCNC anthology, I honestly don't know what package KCNC should use. They are clearly one of the biggest users of Newsmusic Central packages probably because it's a Denver company. So maybe they should commission a custom package from them! I don't know.

What should KCNC use?

I don't think Jerome Gilmer does news music anymore, though.

I would like a return to that six-note signature from Image IV, though. It would make sense considering that the slogan "Colorado's News Channel" has returned, and maybe they could get someone like In The Groove to work it into a custom package for them. I would prefer that they stay away from the "big three" news music producers, with the possible exception of Stephen Arnold.

By October we'll be seeing some huge change for the CBS O&Os, I'm calling it right now. WCBS is using sneak previews for new graphics every now and again. KWY and KPIX are changing logos and/or news titles. KCBS is using Newstime. The next thing I'll see is KDKA using KDKA Prime Version 2 for a morning open or something and going back to a Group W 2. CBS is getting smart.

I really hope that they dump the current CBS O&O graphics and let the stations make their own decisions about music and graphics again. The O&O graphics are simply awful. Over-reliant on the "big shiny things" cliché, choked with navy blue, and making heavy usage of cheap-looking Arial, they look overly-generic, somewhat slapped-together, and show little in the way of creativity. Not to mention that they're watered-down versions of the 2007 WCBS-TV graphics by Giant Octopus, which were pretty unremarkable as well.

I really hope that they dump the current CBS O&O graphics and let the stations make their own decisions about music and graphics again. The O&O graphics are simply awful. Over-reliant on the "big shiny things" cliché, choked with navy blue, and making heavy usage of cheap-looking Arial, they look overly-generic, somewhat slapped-together, and show little in the way of creativity. Not to mention that they're watered-down versions of the 2007 WCBS-TV graphics by Giant Octopus, which were pretty unremarkable as well.

At first I really liked the CBS O&O graphics... and then I kept watching more videos and now they're blech. Why do we even have standardization?!

Because it is cheap!

I can understand a company like Media General doing standardization... but Gannett has more money then they paid for to get their previous graphics and music... and CBS... seriously it's a major network. I'm anxious to see what's to come from the CBS O&Os.

I can understand a company like Media General doing standardization... but Gannett has more money then they paid for to get their previous graphics and music... and CBS... seriously it's a major network. I'm anxious to see what's to come from the CBS O&Os.

Have you looked at the P&L statements for both companies?

By October we'll be seeing some huge change for the CBS O&Os' date=' I'm calling it right now. WCBS is using sneak previews for new graphics every now and again. KWY and KPIX are changing logos and/or news titles. KCBS is using Newstime. [b']The next thing I'll see is KDKA[/b] using KDKA Prime Version 2 for a morning open or something and going back to a Group W 2. CBS is getting smart.

A Group W 2 would make KDKA's logo distinctive.

Note: I started writing this before channel2 posted his comment.

WFOR goes back to Moving Forward. Damn Straight. And could this logo be worked back into the graphics? Please!

wfor_logo.jpg

As for KCNC, I don't think Newstime ever really fit here and KCNC has no idea how to use Enforcer. They have the entire collection and keep switching back from cuts from one package to another. I notice that the morning is often the roughest. They use News in Focus for promos, open with NG2 and then using a breaking news cut from the 2'nd disc of the original package, I believe. The breaking news cut doesn't even finish, it just cuts out!

Looking at the history of KCNC anthology, I honestly don't know what package KCNC should use. They are clearly one of the biggest users of Newsmusic Central packages probably because it's a Denver company. So maybe they should commission a custom package from them! I don't know.

What should KCNC use?

WFOR should definitely bring back that 4.

I really hope that they dump the current CBS O&O graphics and let the stations make their own decisions about music and graphics again. The O&O graphics are simply awful. Over-reliant on the "big shiny things" cliché' date=' choked with navy blue, and [b']making heavy usage of cheap-looking Arial[/b], they look overly-generic, somewhat slapped-together, and show little in the way of creativity. Not to mention that they're watered-down versions of the 2007 WCBS-TV graphics by Giant Octopus, which were pretty unremarkable as well.

The use of Arial by the CBS O&O's is so lazy.

I don't think Jerome Gilmer does news music anymore, though.

I would like a return to that six-note signature from Image IV, though. It would make sense considering that the slogan "Colorado's News Channel" has returned, and maybe they could get someone like In The Groove to work it into a custom package for them. I would prefer that they stay away from the "big three" news music producers, with the possible exception of Stephen Arnold.

I would prefer the signature of Spirit News.

Archived