WGAL: Number 1 Local TV News Station in the USA

susquvalleywgal

Good morning everyone.

This excellent news comes this morning from Lancaster Newspapers ... http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/837012_Nielsen-reporting-strong-numbers-for-WGAL-broadcasts.html

February 2013 sweep numbers are in and WGAL, the Susquehanna Valley's News Leader, is Number 1 ratings wise. But even more impressive is the 32 ratings share. That bests any market in the top 50 DMA.

I won't bore you with more specific figures, but the story has all of it. Still, this is great news.

#1 in the nation. Wow :)

-- Matt

Yeah, but WGAL don't really boast like that. Sure, they have one simple promo thanking everyone for being #1 in the Susquehanna Valley. What was really impressive however was the 6AM ratings ... WGAL had a 62 share, compared to WHTM's 1 share. Lopsided anyone?? :)

-- Matt

I'm happy for WGAL. It's great that they have good ownership and stick to their values and that's a big part of why they are number one. That and the Harrisburg market isn't much to boast about. WHP is Shitclair, one of their better stations, but still... and WHTM I don't even want to talk about.

Whoa, a 32 share is astounding considering WPVI had 10 percent less (which also shocked me since from what I hear they still do a bang-up job). Congrats to Channel 8 and the team.

I've never been to that market, but I'm guessing by these numbers viewers are not territorial? WGAL is in Lancaster, WPMT is in York, and WHTM and WHP-TV are in Harrisburg.

WGAL has just always been a staple in that market. You can't drive around the Harrisburg-Hershey area without seeing OLD signs along the side of the road saying, "WGAL TV-8! Drive safe Harrisburg!" and replace Harrisburg with any county, township, borough or city name.

Archived