KAKE Debuts New Set

TexasTVNews

Wichita's KAKE-TV ABC 10 debut a new set on Wednesday night. The set was designed and features a thin-bezel monitors making up a 5x2 monitor wall. In addition, a brand new KAKE WeatherPlex. Look for more pics of the new KAKE News Studio on the sets and studios gallery.

904304_10151561167658979_1062620377_o.jpg

904136_10151561167238979_1625488715_o.jpg

Severely underwhelming IMO, especially the new weather center. That is one massive hulking desk.

The rest of the set just seems rather boring compared to new sets that are being designed these days by FX and Devlin.

Moved from the previous thread...

I think the graphics may also get a refresh during all of this as well. They had a ticker with an updated look running for election results in the past week, and they've tweaked some of their existing graphics for teasers over the past few months. Something tells me that if those changes come, it'll be something a bit more generic, like an existing Gray look. As of late, many of KAKE's online graphics have started featuring a red and blue scheme currently used on sister station KXII. Not sure how well that'd work in the market since even though it would look decent, it'd look like a lower quality version of KWCH's package, which (IMHO) still looks reasonably fresh almost five years since it's debut.

Guess I was on to something, as they debuted the graphics I mentioned when they launched the new set last night. The weather ticker and bug from the previous package remains in place though. This is the KXII package, with a few minor tweaks. Talent Intros are back after a few years as well, though all newscasts seem to use a generic open at this point. As expected, with the elimination of the Weatherplex, weather has been re-branded; "KAKE First Alert" is a return to the past in some respects.

There's still a bit of a learning curve in terms of the graphics (special segment titles whose text fly well beyond the safe zone or talent opens that have a main anchor's name misspelled - Mike Iuen becoming Mike "Luen") and how they're coordinated, as well as with the studio shots and general camera placement, and it definitely showed this morning.

Still thinking this may have been moved up after KWCH made some noise about moving it's set into a larger studio space, but in the end, that was simply just moving the set into a larger section of the building. Ah speculation...

In all, downgrade. Graphics, set... everything really. KWCH still leads the market in overall appearance IMHO - which KAKE is clearly aping to some extent.

Some snaps - first the set...

KAKE2_zpsc9877fc5.jpg

KAKESET1_zpsc3b422ea.jpg

KAKESET3_zps2fa9d33a.jpg

KAKESET2_zps8e91b9de.jpg

Wow, you guys are disappointed.

It seemed like weeks (or even months) ago that we were very excited for the new set to debut. Now that it debuted (from reading your posts), you guys are clearly disinterested in it. I was actually excited to see the new set and thought it looked nice. Not great, but nice.

I do admit, you guys are right on the graphics; they look cluttered, the L3s are too small and need to change. Also, the do need to put the KAKE name somewhere; the main desk, the WeatherPlex, the floor, anywhere.

The L3's could actually stand to be somewhat larger imo, and those graphics (to me personally) look INCREDIBLY reminiscent of KWCH's current package.

Now about KSN...they need to seriously hurry up and step up to the plate!

The L3's could actually stand to be somewhat larger imo, and those graphics (to me personally) look INCREDIBLY reminiscent of KWCH's current package.

Now about KSN...they need to seriously hurry up and step up to the plate!

Hopefully LIN throws KSN a much needed bone in the future.

Makes me wonder if there is a logo rebranding coming... KSN has reimbraced the number 3 - could the 10 be returning?

J

I doubt it, for if that was the case then they probably would've debuted it right along with the new set and graphics. Plus, the drop of the 10 really didn't happen that long ago...it was a bigger deal for KSN because they just about hadn't even recognized the three for years.

Archived