Fox News sued by family over on-air suicide

skbl17

Fox News Channel has been sued by the family of a man who committed a suicide on air during a broadcast of Studio B with Shepherd Smith last year. The report from BBC News is here; the TVNT thread about last year's incident is here.

EDIT: Could an admin please move this? I accidentally posted in the International forum, when this is clearly National!

How can I say this without sounding like a total a$$wipe? Simply put, the "victim" put himself in a bad situation, and there was a camera there. The family is choosing to blame the network (freedom of the press, blah, blah, blah) than the deceased for the actions that ultimately provoked his demise.

How can I say this without sounding like a total a$$wipe? Simply put, the "victim" put himself in a bad situation, and there was a camera there. The family is choosing to blame the network (freedom of the press, blah, blah, blah) than the deceased for the actions that ultimately provoked his demise.

Amen. This guy committed crimes on his own accord, which led to the police chase and a news station helicopter just so happened to catch it on camera for Breaking News. Yes Fox News simulcasted the live footage, but they didn't know what they got themselves into. He shot himself (which is his own fault) and the camera just caught it. It's live television; unexpected things happen. And they didn't know the 7-second delay didn't work either.

At least they had the decency to apologize to the his family and viewers. The "Victim"'s family shouldn't sue; they'll just open the wounds they're trying to heal. This won't help matters.

Should the families of Holocaust victims sue for their relatives photos being used in history books?

This is a matter of Free Press: Unfortunate, but protected.

Really?!. A person commiting suicide is not even close to the level of seriousness/horryfying as a group of individuals getting persecuted and gassed by a demonic and disgusting dictator. The Holocaust changed the course of history, this man's suicide did not. While the man's suicide is unfortunate and I sympathize for the family, to group both things in the same category is disingenous. That being said, it's understandable that this man's family is upset, but really, no one except the man could have predicted the outcome and it's unfair to sue FOX for what he did.

I think their (the family's) standpoint might be that Fox was being incompetent or something for having the seven second delay seemingly reversed, meaning that rather than the national feed to the viewers being delayed, the studio feed is what seemed to be delayed. So with that being said, they could perhaps TECHNICALLY argue that FNC screwed up because they didn't have that 7-second delay going on over the air, yet for some reason the studio had a delay (or so it seemed). Also the fact that they didn't seem to consider or realize the dude was about to shoot himself.

***Treads carefully while providing analysis***

Am I the only one that caught this part of the article, "Romero's children heard rumours at school of a suicide on live television. They went home and searched for the footage on YouTube, only realising it was their father while watching." So, it wasn't like they happened across this live on TV. They searched it out. If this gets far enough I'm sure Fox will argue that this was copyrighted material posted to YouTube illegally and against YouTube's terms of service. Also, from the article Ms Rodriguez says her children "have been, and continue to be, severely traumatised" by the footage. Umm...yeah I think alot of folks would have similar trauma regardless of who the victim is, let alone a father. That is why I would never search out something like this on YouTube or the internet. I really think this lawsuit has an uphill battle, though.

***Analysis off***

All told these children still lost their father. I feel horrible for them. And, the fact that they witnessed it by coming across it on the internet after the fact just compounds it. I really hope they can heal and find some peace.

Archived