WFTC following WWOR's lead with fast paced "infocast"?

Thundershock MN

So, it appars WFTC is following the lead of their sister station in appealing to the younger demo. "On The Fly" debuts on July 22nd. And, from yesterdays rehersal seems to target the same demo as the "Chasing..." program. This hour long show will run every weeknight at 11pm and, unlike "Chasing..." is being produced in-house. The info released to the press a couple weeks ago discribed this as an entertainment program highlighting “what’s hot and happening that day in pop culture, from Hollywood to the Twin Cities." This seems more like a "newscast" geared towards the kids and following "morning zoo" & "TMZ-like" fast paced formats to discuss the "current events." Is Fox using the MNT O&O's to start these faced paced "infocasts" geared to the younger set? Don't know if that's the plan but, the other MNT O&O's should look out.

EDIT: Oops, I guess the rehersal wasn't meant for public consumption. Here is a

video instead.

So, it appars WFTC is following the lead of their sister station in appealing to the younger demo. "On The Fly" debuts on July 22nd. And, from yesterdays rehersal seems close to the what people discribe "Chasing..." prorgam like. This hour long show will run every weeknight at 11pm and, unlike "Chasing..." is being produced in-house. The info released to the press a couple weeks ago discribed this as an entertainment program highlighting “what’s hot and happening that day in pop culture, from Hollywood to the Twin Cities." This seems more like a "newscast" geared towards the kids and following "morning zoo" & "TMZ-like" fast paced formats to discuss the "current events." Is Fox using the MNT O&O's to start these faced paced "infocasts" geared to the younger set? Don't know if that's the plan but, the other MNT O&O's should look out.

Remember Tribune's Folly? KDAF 33 suffered.

This sounds like it's not going to have any news or weather in it, unlike Chasing New Jersey.

I don't expect any real hard hitting news. Or, reporters in the field like the "Chasing..." format. But, at least from the rehersal there will be some news (ie: fuff & talkers). Video footage from the field will be co-opted from KMSP. The promos they have started to air locally make mention of weather somehow possibly being included. Remember they got an hour to fill.

It's looking to be more a like a infotainment show. So, a show with "current events/news" framed in the format of an "entertainment show" with the fast pace and wacky morning zoo like antics aimed at the younger set.

Picture elements of the late morning newscasts/talk shows where they spend more time on "news talkers" combined with elements of a radio "morning zoo" format (the "ringleader" is an old radio morning show host) mixed with the fast pace of TMZ and adapted for late night. That's what this is shaping up to be. So, it's not really a direct clone of "Chasing New Jersey." But, is targeted at the same audience. That's what I was attempting to elude in the subject title. I fixed it to attempt maybe more accurately reflect the comparison I was trying to make.

Archived