The rise of virtual sets

Samantha

TVNewsCheck put up an interesting look today at the rise of digital/virtual sets. FX is promoting sets with hybrid elements, while a study they commissioned from Magid and Associates showed that viewers preferred a virtual (what FX calls "3D digital") set by a 17-point margin—when there wasn't a large screen on it. There are also video examples from KOLD/KMSB in Tucson (which makes perfect sense to be a guinea pig; Raycom Design's based out of there too), where the green screen was extended to the floor to expand their repertoire of talent shots. Meanwhile, Devlin's moved in the other direction; while they produced innovative multi-market virtual sets for the Florida News Channel in the 1990s, their Softset product has faded away, noting that "[t]he sophistication of the U.S. broadcaster is a wee bit higher than what you’re seeing in Europe or Asia".

I personally hate them. While the FX discovery of "people feel as if the news is realer when they're standing in front of a fake set" makes sense (I guess), I don't like my sets appearing fake. The one big problem is the fact that it's so OBVIOUS that they're fake! At least to me. I don't see how we can create animated movies that borderline look totally realistic, yet we can't build a virtual news set that doesn't look virtual. I also don't see where the "rise" is coming from. I see more people replacing a physical set with a physical set rather than replacing a physical with a virtual.

The one thing I will credit virtual sets with is that when you get tired of it, you can just change it out and it's done. I don't think that would take as long to do either. Physical sets take time to build and take down and you also run the chance of it being rejected by viewers, (or it just looks bad to start off with), so then you're stuck with a nasty looking set for years to come.

I cringe whenever I see FX Group's "studies" because they do the same thing that a lot of people do on this board: Consider the set the most important part of the broadcast and something that drives ratings. WPIX has a nice set but their ratings are in the toilet!!! Huh, wonder why!!?!?!?

This article fails to mention A LOT of what goes into a good virtual set. The "virtual set" it appears to talk about is loading up static graphics and tossing them into a chroma key channel on the switcher. That is not "the future", that is where we've been for the last 20 years. The article seems to imply you can toss a bucket of green paint on the wall and now you can have a virtual set.

Good virtual set technology costs millions of dollars in rendering computers and robotic camera systems. If you want to see an example, once again I must point you to

outlining how Germany's RTL uses virtual sets. Also worth pointing out is they don't even bother trying to make their virtual set look "real", and the results are, in my opinion, pretty good.

The set companies are pushing virtual sets because it's cheaper for them. They don't have to hire carpenters or haul set pieces across the country.

Good virtual set technology costs millions of dollars in rendering computers and robotic camera systems. If you want to see an example, once again I must point you to

outlining how Germany's RTL uses virtual sets. Also worth pointing out is they don't even bother trying to make their virtual set look "real", and the results are, in my opinion, pretty good.

Yup.

Global up in Canada sets the standard with virtual sets (doing it even better than RTL in my opinion), merging "real" set pieces in a larger virtual environment with a pretty sophisticated robotic camera system. Also, just look at how quickly they rolled out new sets to match the new Global News graphics package that came out last year after the Shaw acquisition—it happened across the O&Os overnight.

If virtual sets are the new trend sweeping the nation, then why isn't WCBS still using a virtual set?

Aside from a select few number of broadcasters (RTL in Germany, ITV in the UK, and CTV in Canada), I wouldn't say that virtual sets are seeing a rise in popularity, and I would imagine that *good* virtual sets aren't that different in cost compared to real sets.

If virtual sets are the new trend sweeping the nation, then why isn't WCBS still using a virtual set?

Aside from a select few number of broadcasters (RTL in Germany, ITV in the UK, and CTV in Canada), I wouldn't say that virtual sets are seeing a rise in popularity, and I would imagine that *good* virtual sets aren't that different in cost compared to real sets.

Well WCBS used to have a
in the
, but one of the worst offenders of virutal sets in my opinion would be

Well WCBS used to have a

in the
, but one of the worst offenders of virutal sets in my opinion would be

Yeah, tell me about it. I'm already used to this. KSAT has used a virtual set for ten years. They have some real elements but they hardly use them. Here's some pics as examples

REAL:

vvje.png m61f.pngtxm6.png kxqu.png

AND FAKE (VIRTUAL):

uztu.png o1ys.png

ob65.png k75.png

(continued in next post)

Some more photos of KSAT's virtual set:

jca2.png v76h.png

34o5.png 8gm9.png

And here's what the set actually looks like:

lesliemoutonmarkaustin.jpg

They have since gotten a new desk, as well as dumping the paper scripts in favor of iPad minis. But the chroma key background remains.

KSAT has had a virtual set (and their current tired cuts of One and Only as well as the current "12" logo) since October 30, 2003 as part of a dramatic rebranding of the station at the time in order to boost faltering ratings. I honestly hate it. I like real sets. KSAT had one previously that dated to 1998 and it was a very nice set when they got it. But when they switched to a virtual set they kept elements of the 1998 set (mainly the stand up areas) until about last year. They finally tore that down last year and built a new on-set weather center and new stand up area but otherwise kept the virtual set. They also got a new desk. Only the top surface is real. The "front" of the desk is fake. They also have a small "real" set where Ursula Pari does the 4PM news from.

I wish they would just go back to a full real set since the rest of their sister stations have one. WJXT and WKMG have FX sets if KSAT wanted to go with them. I've never visited the KSAT studio but it's a decent sized building from what I've heard. I think they have the space for a real studio but have never wanted one. I dunno why.

But believe it or not, there are people who think the KSAT set is 100% absolutely real and are shocked I tell them it's fake. There are people who watch KSAT's news just because of their background... (trust me, the majority of TV news viewers choose their station for reasons other than content or coverage). KSAT rarely has problems with the graphics computer running the set. But it's happened. In that instance they do the news from the newsroom while it's being fixed.

KSAT tends to have better virtual sets than some other stations. But since they've done it so long they know what they're doing. Their earlier designs were clearly fake. The current ones look more realistic.

I really hope this doesn't become the future though. I live in a market with five other set designs (WOAI=FX, KENS=Express Group, KABB=Devlin, KWEX=Sabca Productions, KVDA=in-house and their set, despite being very small, blows everyone else's out of the water) and they are all REAL. Then you get to KSAT's and it's fake and you can tell. They can change out the BGs as they please but I just think a real set looks a hell of a lot better than something that's fake. Especially when people tour your station and they're disappointed that the set doesn't look like it does on TV... Even KENS' news set, which they got around the same time KSAT got their virtual set, looks far better than KSAT's fake set. I would rather pay for a real set than have something fake.

Sorry for the long post but I'd thought I should throw my two cents in since I live in a market with a news station who uses a virtual set on a regular basis.

I'm kind of so-so on virtual sets. While they can be done quite nicely (BBC News and Global come to mind as examples,) they can also be trainwrecks. It all depends on making it work: a virtual set should be cohesive; it shouldn't look like something some guy just threw together in 5 minutes to call a "set". Also, virtual set designers shouldn't overdo it with the "video wall"; when ITV launched its new look in January, the virtual set itself was fine, but the backdrop was absolutely awful with 100+ monitors in the background.

I don't see a lot of 'market leaders' going in the direction of virtual sets. I also would think it would be out of the question in certain markets, like Chicago, where the audience tends to be older and more traditional.

I don't see a lot of 'market leaders' going in the direction of virtual sets. I also would think it would be out of the question in certain markets, like Chicago, where the audience tends to be older and more traditional.

Well back in the day KTRK was a market leader for about 10 years with a virtual set. Though they stuck to a simple skyline, and used a real desk.

Same with WTVD. Always thought the Newsmat sets were tasteful, not sure why some toned down adaptation like that hasn't been tried in the latest round of virtual sets.

WSB had a similar set-up in the late 80s/early 90s. They mostly used the Atlanta skyline, but instead of traditional over the shoulders (like KTRK used), they replaced the skyline with a story element graphic.

(ie: wide shot of studio at top of show: atlanta skyline. 2-shot/1-shot of anchors: purple background with story element in place of skyline)

The only problem was, on occasional shots (like toss-backs from sports or weather), they would forget to key the skyline and you would see the chroma wall.

I also remember reading, years ago, a "biography" of WCVB-TV (I wish I could remember the name of the book, but I recall the subtitle was similar to "The Inside Story of NewsCenter 5"). I recall the author describing their set (at the time) as having a skyline background that when the the lighting changed slightly it became a chroma wall.

Regardless, I think virtual sets are just simply hard to program. If you don't have a big enough wall and the camera shot is off just so, you can tell. Plus all studio cameras have to have a chip installed to read the key correctly. And then there's the added ridiculousness of putting architectural elements like faux steps for the anchor to stand on, which in no way looks like they are actually standing on steps.

Well, WFLD does do that stupid thing where they present a few stories with the anchor standing in front of a virtual set, but that's quite limited, and WFLD certainly isn't a market leader. ;)

CTV never had a virtual set, I guess you mean Global TV?

Well, WFLD does do that stupid thing where they present a few stories with the anchor standing in front of a virtual set, but that's quite limited, and WFLD certainly isn't a market leader. ;)

And that's also a Fox stations thing. KSAZ makes fairly heavy use of its virtual sets, especially for sports and news, and their solo-anchor 10pm broadcast.

Does their virtual set look anything like this?

l8bt.png

KTBC uses this for their sports segment but otherwise sticks to the main set (which is about 9 or so years old).

Does their virtual set look anything like this?

l8bt.png

KTBC uses this for their sports segment but otherwise sticks to the main set (which is about 9 or so years old).

Theirs look a little different. I think they were made within the past two years. They did once use these, back to the 2006-round graphics from which they came, but I think they use some updated virtual sets.

Archived