WRC Set Update

MonkeyFighter

This would be their 2nd upgrade since getting the Clickspring set just 3 years ago with the switch to HD. The last upgrade was getting a wood news desk and adding wood around their projection screen.

They just ruined a great set.

What it previously looked like as comparison

wrc2.png

And more recently:

oxzg.png

(screencap from localnewswatch on YT)

I hated the first desk, they managed to get it right with the newer desk, but then they just had to screw it up with background...

Works for WNBC, works for WMAQ, doesn't work for WRC. Especially when WNBC and WMAQ are in huge skyscrapers in downtown city centers and WRC is in a rather small 2 story building in the suburbs.

I think that setup works from the top of 30 Rock in the city with the second highest number of skyscrapers in the world, but I'm not so sure if it works in Chicago or even in DC, which has a 10 story height limit and no skyline (aside from the monuments, of course). It doesn't look horrible, but just because you can build what WNBC has doesn't necessarily mean you should...

I wonder if KNTV will get an update at some point. Seeing as they were one of the earlier Clickspring local sets and with nothing to contrast that dreary blue, I would hope they would do something about it soon.

I think that setup works from the top of 30 Rock in the city with the second highest number of skyscrapers in the world, but I'm not so sure if it works in Chicago or even in DC, which has a 10 story height limit and no skyline (aside from the monuments, of course). It doesn't look horrible, but just because you can build what WNBC has doesn't necessarily mean you should...

I wonder if KNTV will get an update at some point. Seeing as they were one of the earlier Clickspring local sets and with nothing to contrast that dreary blue, I would hope they would do something about it soon.

I would think WCAU if anyone would be due for a refresh like that. Their set is nearing 5 years old and while they made some mild cosmetic refreshes last year, I could see them doing something a bit more major like this in the future.

I would think WCAU if anyone would be due for a refresh like that. Their set is nearing 5 years old and while they made some mild cosmetic refreshes last year, I could see them doing something a bit more major like this in the future.

Meanwhile KNSD has been on the same set for 11 years now, with a refresh a few years ago. Would be nice to get something remotely close to the other NBC O&O"s.

I think that setup works from the top of 30 Rock in the city with the second highest number of skyscrapers in the world, but I'm not so sure if it works in Chicago or even in DC, which has a 10 story height limit and no skyline (aside from the monuments, of course).

You mentioning this makes me think of the movie "Deep Impact," which is ostensibly set in Washington, DC. Near the end of the movie, the MSNBC crew is evacuating via helicopter and they fly off through a canyon of skyscrapers with nary a DC landmark in sight. Not even the capitol building.

I agree on your assessment of the D.C. view, but I would beg to differ about Chicago. While it is not the same execution as WNBC, I think WMAQ's is very well done. The fact that WMAQ has their camera mounted only 5-6 stories off the ground gives a much more realistic view, especially since it's in a similar vicinity as the old 'Studio 5'. WNBC's skyline shot, while impressive, has never came across as a convincing window, cause who's going to believe that WNBC is broadcasting from 40-50 stories up (or whatever it is)? But still, New York's and Chicago's are nice, D.C.'s isn't as convincing.

I'm just wondering when KNBC will do this...or are they ever going to move studios/facilities?

They just ruined a great set.

What it previously looked like as comparison

wrc2.png

And more recently:

oxzg.png

(screencap from localnewswatch on YT)

I hated the first desk, they managed to get it right with the newer desk, but then they just had to screw it up with background...

Works for WNBC, works for WMAQ, doesn't work for WRC. Especially when WNBC and WMAQ are in huge skyscrapers in downtown city centers and WRC is in a rather small 2 story building in the suburbs.

WRC is in Washington DC proper as well as WUSA and WTTG. All three of them are located on the extreme northwest fringes of the District. WJLA is located in a skyscraper in Rosslyn, Virginia right across the street from the old Newseum. I would think that there would be a better shot of some of the other monuments, but with the Washington Memorial currently under renovations, probably the best shot.

Guest Former Member 207

I'm just wondering when KNBC will do this...or are they ever going to move studios/facilities?

KNBC is set to move to the Universal Studios complex by the end of this year. Although most of other news stations use Downtown L.A. as a video backdrop, none of them are located in downtown. Those do use cameras on top of a of a few of the downtown highrises, or at times Mount Wilson, or even in KABC's case sometimes, a camera on the top of the ABC building at the Disney Burbank studio lot.

I sort of feel as if the set now looks...well old. Almost like a refresh/rebuild of their old set (pre HD that is) but keeping to the same general idea. I understand updating the desk and making a few duratran or whatever changes, but they've more or less rebuilt the set piece by piece. Unless, of course, they were trying to go for a national news network feel.

Meanwhile KNSD has been on the same set for 11 years now, with a refresh a few years ago. Would be nice to get something remotely close to the other NBC O&O"s.

Something like this refresh could fit in their space, if they position the desk in the corner closest to the street. I just wonder how they would pull off getting a new set. They have no space to move to.

You mentioning this makes me think of the movie "Deep Impact," which is ostensibly set in Washington, DC. Near the end of the movie, the MSNBC crew is evacuating via helicopter and they fly off through a canyon of skyscrapers with nary a DC landmark in sight. Not even the capitol building.

I thought that the building they were evacuating was the studios for the fictional version of MSNBC. At the time the movie was filmed, the real MSNBC studios were in Secaucus, NJ.

You're correct. The point I was making was that the evacuation helicopters took off through an urban canyon of skyscrapers that don't (and cannot) exist in Washington, DC (where the fictionalized version of MSNBC was located).

• 3 years later...

I was just watching WRC's news this evening at the office break room and have nearly the same view as the camera used to feed the background monitors (just shifted about 30 degrees toward the east). I can attest that the feed is live - saw a plane traversing the screens, then looked out to see the same plane landing at DCA/Reagan National Airport.

IMHO, the shots they use fit DC - a live shot that ranges from Washington/Jefferson to the Capitol (Lincoln would be too wide...). I'm trying to figure out which building has the camera mounted on it :cool:

Archived