The Sweeps Results Thread

Amra

If anybody has preliminary information and the official results of the May Sweeps in NYC, please, feel free to discuss them here.

BREAKING NEWS!... it will be official tomorrow, but early reports have WCBS beating WNBC in Households and all key demo's at 5pm... not even close, WCBS had the book wrapped up at 5 last week. WCBS at 6 will win all key demo's as well. Mornings still suck at WCBS and the 11 still trails, but at least the 5 and 6 are back for them.

From thread of Live at 5/News 4 You.

CBS2 can spin it any way they want to win in demos; I'm sure there will be press releases galore from all stations (except maybe WNBC which is now hanging its head in shame as of late) but the fact is they are still solidly number 3 if you average out all of the dayparts for news. FOX5 would beat them if they competed at 11pm.

Here are the raw numbers:

New York Ratings

5AM

WABC 1.9/ 13

WCBS 0.7/ 5

WNBC 1.1/ 8

WNYW 0.5/ 3

WPIX 0.9/ 6

6AM

WABC 3.6/ 15

WCBS 1.7/ 8

WNBC 2.6/ 11

WNYW 1.8/ 8

WPIX 1.6/ 7

NOON

WABC 4.2/ 17

WCBS 3.1/ 13

WNYW 0.4/ 2 (11AM)

5PM

WABC 5.6/ 14

WCBS 2.9/ 7

WNBC 2.3/ 6

WNBC 2.2/ 6 (5:30PM edition with Peri Peltz)

WNYW 1.5/ 4

6PM

WABC 6.1/14

WCBS 2.8/ 6

WNBC 3.1/ 7

10PM

WNYW 5.2/ 8

WPIX 2.8 (?)

WWOR 2.0 (?)

11PM

WABC 6.3/ 12

WCBS 4.9/ 9

WNBC 5.5/ 10

WNBC really hit the bucket when they put that Megan Mullally at 3 and decided not to renew Judge Judy. I always wonder why they didnt move Chuck with Sue at 5 and then that audience would lead into 6 newscast.

They are going eventually scrap news 4 you. That program sucks.

let all clap collectively for Ch 7.. AGAIN, far and away the market leader in HH!

BUT, "canitgeanyworse" can you please give CBS2 a break. These guys are making a run. This is a good book for them, you just list HH, but in the key demo's, where the real $$$ is made, they are trouncing ch4, not far behind ch 7.. and YOU MENTION FOX5!.. please, barely on the demo radar.

For all the people that trash Wragge and Johnson, Johnson more than Wragge, you cannot deny, the movement they have made is by far the best news the last 3 ratings periods the station has had. I dont believe they lied in their press release, and there is no spin, the key demo' they are a solid 2, beat 4 in HH... LIve at 5 is officially a dead franchise.

We all hate the moves CBS 2 makes with their on air talent, and we all make fun of their pretty people, but outside of ch 7, 2 is the only station with more good news than bad. RIP CH. 4!

WNBC really hit the bucket when they put that Megan Mullally at 3 and decided not to renew Judge Judy. I always wonder why they didnt move Chuck with Sue at 5 and then that audience would lead into 6 newscast.

They are going eventually scrap news 4 you. That program sucks.

'

Because 6pm still has a bigger audience.

I agree that people are quick to criticize CBS 2, but I will say this: the main reason CBS 2 News at 5:00 is up so much over last year is because of JUDGE JUDY at 4:00. Last year CBS 2 had the much lower rated People's Court as a lead in, and WNBC had Judge Judy as its lead in for Live at Five. Now WNBC has a much lower rated Ellen as its lead-in, and its Live at Five and News 4 You are suffering.

CBS 2's press release tries to spin the numbers and act like CBS 2 News at 5:00 is up so much due to Chris and Kristine, while in reality it's mostly due to the stronger Judge Judy lead-in.

not to beat the drum at ch 2.. but look at the lead in numbers for 2 at 5... the timeslot is up 20 percent year to year... the 5pm timeslot is up 43 percent year to year. its more than Chris and Kristine but its more than the lead in as well..some days the peoples court on fox beats JJ on 2.

and no, this is not the ch 2 pr dept. Just someone who like the people that work down there!!! LOL

I agree that people are quick to criticize CBS 2, but I will say this: the main reason CBS 2 News at 5:00 is up so much over last year is because of JUDGE JUDY at 4:00. Last year CBS 2 had the much lower rated People's Court as a lead in, and WNBC had Judge Judy as its lead in for Live at Five. Now WNBC has a much lower rated Ellen as its lead-in, and its Live at Five and News 4 You are suffering.

CBS 2's press release tries to spin the numbers and act like CBS 2 News at 5:00 is up so much due to Chris and Kristine, while in reality it's mostly due to the stronger Judge Judy lead-in.

Totally agree!

Yeah, looks like WNBC is starting to show signs of failure, which is very odd because they were excelling. They've lost a significant amount of viewers, considering how each ratings point is such a high number of households. Anyway the cause is likely to be the News 4 You, which I think is a pointless program. Overall WNBC has boring programs, and it is the reason why they are failing. They have an outstanding news program, but their regularly scheduled programming is the overall the lowest rated. Ellen at 4PM is the reason why they are trailing the races. And WCBS has Judge Judy to help them out with the 5PM and 6PM ratings as many of us have already pointed out. As with WABC still being number one in all races including the 5AM (even shockingly Steve Bartelstein was gone), is simply unbelievable. At this point I just think many people watch WABC out of habit, including I, so that the case for them. But anyway congratulations to WABC for always being number one. Congrats to WCBS as well! ;) We'll see what happens in July's sweeps.

-Vlad

WABC should become like WLS. That would be great for New Yorkers.

Well hopefully by the fall as many people say, they may finally start becoming more like a Flagship O&O Station. Right now, they are looking no where near what a flagship station is supposed to look like.

I worry much for WNBC. First of all, a lot of this has to do with the prime time schedule. Currently, NBC is just in a lull in terms of its prime time programming. We all know that this busines is very cyclical. In a few years, I'm sure they will have new, popular programs and the shows doing well on WABC like Grey's will no longer be there.

This should be a wake-up call to WNBC to improve its talent. Lynda Baquero is just awful. She had a lot of time to develop good chemistry with Chuck and she failed to do so. She's a bore, and so is David Ushery. Perri Peltz seems to mean well, but she has a very hesitant personality. New Yorkers like people who are very outspoken and that is why, I believe, Sue does so well.

I think WNBC needs to think outside the box and bring in some dynamic talent such as Connie Chung, Roz Abrams, Star Jones, or other people from outside the organization.

I worry much for WNBC. First of all, a lot of this has to do with the prime time schedule. Currently, NBC is just in a lull in terms of its prime time programming. We all know that this busines is very cyclical. In a few years, I'm sure they will have new, popular programs and the shows doing well on WABC like Grey's will no longer be there.

This should be a wake-up call to WNBC to improve its talent. Lynda Baquero is just awful. She had a lot of time to develop good chemistry with Chuck and she failed to do so. She's a bore, and so is David Ushery. Perri Peltz seems to mean well, but she has a very hesitant personality. New Yorkers like people who are very outspoken and that is why, I believe, Sue does so well.

I think WNBC needs to think outside the box and bring in some dynamic talent such as Connie Chung, Roz Abrams, Star Jones, or other people from outside the organization.

Well I agree with some of your statement and yes Lynda Baquero is awful and I always wonder why they even promote her to weekday. There are many things that attribute to the downfall of Live at 5 and one of the reason is moving Sue from 5 after been there for 27 years. If Sue was at 5 during sweeps yes the newscast may had struggled but they still be number 2.

Ouch, WNBC has lost a lot of viewers. It's Ellen and NBC primetime that's hurting them.

Maybe NBC primetime, but how can people not like Ellen? :o

Ellen used to get great numbers in the AM, it's just Judge Judy and Oprah are the biggest names in syndication. No one could go up against them to loads of fan-fare.

I think it is a combination of two things. The loss of the Judy Judy lead in was a big blow. Channel 4's evening news was #1 was Judy's ratings were at it's best. Ellen does not do so well at 4, which hurt the 5 and 6 pm newscasts.

To make this worse, like somebody else said, moving Sue Simmons off the 5pm was a huge mistake. She was the face of that program, and she should have stayed there.I'm sure a lot of loyal viewers switch to wabc once Sue was moved off Live at 5. Moving Perri or getting rid of her would not have been a big deal.

Move Sue back to 5, and get a better lead in. Perhaps bring in the controversial Rosie O'Donnell and put her on 5pm and give her an opinionated type of show/interview show. It would be costly for a station that is trying to cut costs but the return on investment might be worth it.

I think it is a combination of two things. The loss of the Judy Judy lead in was a big blow. Channel 4's evening news was #1 was Judy's ratings were at it's best. Ellen does not do so well at 4, which hurt the 5 and 6 pm newscasts.

To make this worse, like somebody else said, moving Sue Simmons off the 5pm was a huge mistake. She was the face of that program, and she should have stayed there.I'm sure a lot of loyal viewers switch to wabc once Sue was moved off Live at 5. Moving Perri or getting rid of her would not have been a big deal.

Move Sue back to 5, and get a better lead in. Perhaps bring in the controversial Rosie O'Donnell and put her on 5pm and give her an opinionated type of show/interview show. It would be costly for a station that is trying to cut costs but the return on investment might be worth it.

I mean have Rosie O'Donnell as a 4pm lead in for live at 5

I mean have Rosie O'Donnell as a 4pm lead in for live at 5

That's not a bad idea. Rosie did bring up the ratings of the View, but then again the View was seen in the mornings, not in the late afternoon. Why not have her team up with Roz Abrams and form a talk show. Didn't someone mention that Roz was originally suppose to have a show?

Archived