OKC's CBS 9 Celebrates Gary England's Long, Successful Career

TexasTVNews

After more than 40 years of broadcasting the weather in Oklahoma City, Gary England is hanging up the mike for the last time this Friday.

http://www.news9.com/story/23278685/news-9-celebrates-gary-englands-long-successful-career

You can also send best wishes to Gary on his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/GaryEnglandNews9

For those outside of Oklahoma, it's likely hard to understand the significance of Gary England to the OKC market and the state. There are only two other meteorologists in the country that I can think of who compare to the status of a Gary England: Dr. Neil Frank in Houston (now retired) and Tom Skilling in Chicago.

The man helped invent the First Warning system that places a map in the corner of the screen highlighting watches and warnings. 41 years is a long time in any business but in this industry it's almost unheard of. End of an era for sure.

For those outside of Oklahoma, it's likely hard to understand the significance of Gary England to the OKC market and the state. There are only two other meteorologists in the country that I can think of who compare to the status of a Gary England: Dr. Neil Frank in Houston (now retired) and Tom Skilling in Chicago.

Don't forget Dick Goddard in Cleveland. 47 straight years at one station (WJW) and 54 in the market outright.

Congratulations and best of luck to Gary.

I wish for the best of luck to Gary England on his new job with Griffin Communications. Both him and Rick Mitchell are legends in my book in the weather world along side with the meteorologists mentioned in this forum, James Spann, Dr. Mel Goldstein, John Ghiorse, Art Lake, and Tony Petraca.

Archived