CBS 2 And Social Media

Geoffrey

CBS 2 seems to be on a Twitter kick again. They're finally using the space on the bottom of the lower-thirds to show handles for individual talent. (Previously, it only showed the @CBSNewYork or @CBS2ThisMorning handles.)

They also seem to be standardizing the way the handles look, putting "WCBSWLNY" at the end of last names. Twitter names can have a maximum of 15 characters so more than half of that is now allotted to the call letters... Weird decision.

And as clunky as that looks, it sounds even worse -- Dick Brennan read his new Twitter name, @BrennanWCBSWLNY, on air and it's a mouthful. By the way, that account has zero tweets. It seems they're not changing names, simply creating new accounts... Great way to lose followers that have already been accumulated!

Lonnie Quinn showed up as @QuinnWCBSWLNY just now -- only problem is that account doesn't exist.

I'd suggest they either just go with their full names, or first initial and last name. If they insist on station identification, they could go with "CBS2" or "CBSNY" after the name (I know that leaves out WLNY).

Edit: If they insist on promoting both stations on Twitter, why not add the "WCBS/WLNY" part to their display name, where there's more space, instead of the actual handle/username.

It really bugs me when stations want to change their Twitter handles and instead of doing the easy thing by changing their name, they think it's necessary to make whole new accounts. Who the hell are they hiring to do their social media stuff?

Also, I think they could have chosen something better than "WCBSWLNY". Perhaps they could have put them both under one masthead like "CBSNY"!! (example: @QuinnCBSNY, @BrennanCBSNY, etc.) That's much less of a mouthful than "WCBSWLNY".

If WLNY was available across the whole area, I could understand putting WLNY somewhere in the handle but for WLNY to be in such a small part of the viewing area and they use it so much on WCBS, it is ridiculous.

WLNY is available to every Time Warner Cable subscriber in the NY metro area - its reach is far beyond the Long Island viewing area.

It is a bit odd, considering the great lengths they have gone to advance the "CBS New York" branding. The only reason I could seem them do this is to try and bring WLNY more in sync with WCBS, and try to create more awareness. I really think they should re-brand as "WLNY 10" and run with "We Love New York" branding. It's clear they have misled us and have not and will never be a Long Island-centric station.

Just to follow up, Lonnie Quinn's new account is QuinnWCBSWLNY, which currently has 48 followers. The other account he used to use (OK, he only tweeted twice on it and it was two and a half years ago) was lonniequinn and that has 785 followers.

Instead of just changing his name (even though I think the original was better), CBS 2 decided to give him a brand new one and start over with the followers.

And they keep promoting Maurice DuBois' account on the lower-third despite the fact that he's never tweeted.

I don't get it.

Just to follow up, Lonnie Quinn's new account is QuinnWCBSWLNY, which currently has 48 followers. The other account he used to use (OK, he only tweeted twice on it and it was two and a half years ago) was lonniequinn and that has 785 followers.

Instead of just changing his name (even though I think the original was better), CBS 2 decided to give him a brand new one and start over with the followers.

And they keep promoting Maurice DuBois' account on the lower-third despite the fact that he's never tweeted.

I don't get it.

It's possible that Quinn forgot his password or locked out his account?

Don't get so bent out of shape. Obviously your murky past at WCBS has something to do with your criticism. Chill out.

Archived