Elizabeth Vargas in Rehab

bammy9

• 1 month later...
Haven't heard anything from her since November. If I had to guess, she will probably come back after the new year. What do you all think?

I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up during the holidays, first.

I wonder how ABC will handle the return. Either they'll turn it into a story (a la Robin Roberts and Amy Robach) or not mention it. I'm thinking the latter is more likely.

I don't think she'll return before the new year. She mentioned the trauma of covering the Sandy Hook shooting as a contributing factor to her stress, and we're approaching the one-year anniversary of that.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they had her do an appearance on Katie to talk about addiction that also served as a promo for a 20/20 special.

That would be a good story but I don't think they would want more PR about there own talent unless it is good PR. While I guess it is good, some people will definitely view this in a bad way towards ABC as well.

My guess? The first time she's back on GMA, either in for Robin, or possibly Lara (like they did with Amy, though very unlikely), she'll talk about how great it is to be back, explain what happened, what's changed, and how she'll keep recovering. Josh will hold her hand, George will put his arm on the back of her portion of the couch, they'll dwell on it for no more than a few minutes, and move on. It will not be addressed again, unless she goes on Katie (but it won't be explored on an ABC News product).

My guess? The first time she's back on GMA, either in for Robin, or possibly Lara (like they did with Amy, though very unlikely), she'll talk about how great it is to be back, explain what happened, what's changed, and how she'll keep recovering. Josh will hold her hand, George will put his arm on the back of her portion of the couch, they'll dwell on it for no more than a few minutes, and move on. It will not be addressed again, unless she goes on Katie (but it won't be explored on an ABC News product).

Definitely a GMA return. Whether they say something or not, TBD; but definitely a GMA return.

That seems probable. Everything, that is, except going on Katie.

Actually, that does sound more likely compared to what I suggested.

• 5 weeks later...

Still nothing from her, they don't even mention her on 2020 or GMA anymore.

At the conclusion of each 20/20, David says something along the lines of "for Elizabeth and all of us here at ABC News, good night."

What would they need to mention her on GMA for?

At the conclusion of each 20/20, David says something along the lines of "for Elizabeth and all of us here at ABC News, good night."

What would they need to mention her on GMA for?

Well with GMA I really meant she simply hasn't been on the show but with 20/20, I posted before the end of last nights show so yes, she was mentioned. Either way, the main part of my post was that we still haven't heard from her since November.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll be it I don't get to see all of GMA, but is it just me or Elizabeth not as prominent across ABC's platforms as she was before her leave?

That could very well be her choice, and I'm pretty sure Lara's new contract talks (even before a deal was finalized) included her filling in for Robin more frequently. Let's face it, Elizabeth, unlike Amy, is rarely a candidate to sub for Josh or Lara. Her tenure has her above that.

• 4 months later...

Archived