Amy Robach diagnosed with Breast Cancer

bammy9

Some sad news from New York today as ABC News' Amy Robach announced that she was diagnosed with breast cancer during today's Good Morning America. Robach had her first mammogram on the 1st of last month on Good Morning America, which is how she learned she had the cancer. She will have surgery this Thursday.

Read WABC's article on this here: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/health&id=9321153

Not to be cold, I wish Amy the absolute best and a speedy recovery, but all of a sudden GMA is without its two main fill-in anchors, with Elizabeth in rehab as well. As was the case 3 days last week, I guess we'll be seeing more of Lara in the anchor chair.

When I saw her this morning it was very sad but I was glad Robin was by her side to help her through this very crucial time. I was wondering why Lara was filing in because as of right now Amy is the Heir apparent for Robin's chair when and if she leaves. My thoughts and prayers goes out to her and her family.

• 2 weeks later...

While her prognosis is still good, a 2nd cancerous tumor in the breast was found during Robach's surgery. Cancerous cells also spread to one of her lymph nodes. She's expected to return to the network after Thanksgiving, but extensive treatment is still to come.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/during-amy-robachs-double-mastectomy-doctors-find-a-second-cancerous-tumor_b204783

• 4 weeks later...

Even with Amy back, Lara was anchoring this morning. I wonder if with the contract negotiations, she has asked to be main fill in for Robin? The only other thing I can think of is Amy isn't up to anchoring the show fully yet.

Or maybe just giving her a turn? She has filled in on occasion, no?

Lara's filling in has become more frequent in recent months, but I don't think she's ranking any higher to sit in for Robin. Amy's like the unofficial 6th member of the team, so having her fill in (when up to it) is a given. However, with both Josh and Robin in Rome together, they needed a news anchor, as well. Moving Lara to the main chair was a better idea than having her do the news, and it keeps the budget down by having on 4 anchors today, instead of 5.

Archived