Who's Next to go HD in Your Market

NewsMan

Got to be WCAU (last of the O&Os to go HD) then the only one left is WFMZ.

1. a majority of WFMZ's trucks are already HD, and i'm told they're currently building another one -- even though they're an independent station, their parent company's pockets are deep and their trucks are used for a great deal of sports events in the region

2. i'm also told that most studio equipment is HD as well

3. correct me if i'm wrong, but neither is the case at WCAU

4. WFMZ will be the next to go HD in the philly dma. at the rate NBC Universal is going, WMGM might also beat out WCAU

I read somewhere that 5 Media General stations will be going HD soon, WFLA, WSLS, WCMH, WSPA, and a fifth one they haven't revealed yet.

Perhaps this will mean an end to the current look (especially with WCMH being a former O&O)

hmmm, maybe that last one will be WMBB lol

To make it interesting what if the 5th one is WJBF. However you could say WCWJ in Jacksonville that doesn't do news could be a full HD station, since they have their digital channel on the air and run all programs the CW has in HD on it.

I bet it's going to be WNCN...the article I read hinted that the station doing HD in that market was a pioneer. Wasn't WRAL the very first station to do HD newscasts in the country?

1. a majority of WFMZ's trucks are already HD

That's right. I forgot when they did the story about the Freddy Awards being in Hi-Def they did mention that their remote trucks could send out HD signals.

WFAA is the only one in HD in DFW. My vote for the next is over at KTVT where a lot of changes are likely coming with the new vice president of news.

I figured KDFW would be next. Then either KXAS or KTVT.

I don't know, DFW11. Given that KTXA just started their news division last year, I doubt that since CBS just completed the KCBS/KCAL HD makeover, that they would want to move so quickly, because they'd have to change KTVT and KTXA over at the same time, wouldn't they? I'll be the first to agree that KTVT badly needs a complete station makeover (set, graphics, boring music, the whole enchalada), but I would hate to see TXA-21 loose their current graphics package and Stephen Arnold/YBOM music package.

KXAS would have to go back to the old Texas News 5 format (not the branding, just the format; maybe adopting The Rock musical theme wouldn't hurt either.) for me to even bother with them again. Although it would be nice to see what a WNBC-esque package would look like on KXAS.

KDFW (my bet for DMA 6's next HD station) >> I would like to see them take the Fox O&O graphics to the next level and adopt WTVT's super-flashy yet well-executed look (especially the wonderfully done news opens WTVT has)

Here in Fort Wayne, I don't expect either WANE or WPTA/WISE to get HD news before mid-2008 at the earliest, as LIN (WANE's owner) might be sold/broken up and Granite (WPTA/WISE) is, well, cheap. Plus, with WPTA/WISE, there's the HD format issue: NBC (WISE) broadcasts in 1080i and ABC (WPTA) broadcasts in 720p. But stranger things have happened in DMA 106... :o

Here in Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York (PA) market, in the order I predict them to go:

1. WGAL Channel 8

2. WHTM ABC 27

3. WHP CBS 21

4. WPMT FOX 43

I want WGAL to get a new studio soooo bad, but I'm not holding my breath. ABC27 might sneak ahead, b/c it has been rumored that the new news director for ABC27 wants to overhaul the news studio, graphics, etc. WHP will surprise me when they do. And don't hold your breath for WPMT. Even though they got decent new graphics, their studio needs updating to today's standards. BTW, they finally got rid of their 'snowflake' type background, for a nicer, newer one.

-- Matt

• 4 months later...

While we've brought back the topic of HD news, two more stations have debuted news in HD... WINK (there's already a thread for that) and WVTM.

And this says something about WTVD in HD, I don't know if he's referring to the newscasts of just HD programming (more likely newscasts): http://broadcastingcable.com/enewsletter/CA6492360/2387.html

Dave Converse, VP and director of engineering at ABC stations, said seven ABC owned-and-operated stations are on air with HD, with the most recent being WTVD Durham-Raleigh, N.C.

If it is the news, I haven't seen anything else on the 'net about WTVD news in HD.

What about Austin, TX?

- KTBC FOX 7

- News 8 Austin

- KVUE ABC 24

- KXAN NBC 36

- KEYE CBS 42

Any one of these stations is soon be HD?

My money is on KEYE.

Actually, I distinctly recall reading something that quoted KXAN's general manager as saying they were making preparations for high definition newscasts. So I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they were the first in HD in Austin. As far as News 8 Austin going HD, that's laughable. If you want to see television done on the cheap, go to a TWC cable outlet like that.

What about Austin, TX?

- KTBC FOX 7

- News 8 Austin

- KVUE ABC 24

- KXAN NBC 36

- KEYE CBS 42

Any one of these stations is soon be HD?

My money is on KEYE.

And you're right. They started running promos last week announcing that HD news starts November 1.

http://www.keyetv.com/content/entertainment/hd/default.aspx

Here in Tulsa, I sent an e-mail to all four stations producing newscasts and this is what I heard back:

KJRH-2 (NBC):"Our goal is to be producing local news in HD by the end of 2008."

KOTV-6 (CBS): "Not at the moment."

KTUL-8 (ABC): I can't find the e-mail I received from the CE at KTUL, but they indicated they will be converting their entire facility to HD once they've settled on a video storage format (can't say "tape" any more...).

KOKI-23 (FOX): "We will all be HD before its all over. Our plans for local HD will fall after the transition date of Feb '09."

The response that surprises me the most is KOTV's. They are the dominant news station in Tulsa. I don't know if it means they really are not making any plans to go HD or they aren't saying anything publically yet.

Archived