Who's Next to go HD in Your Market

NewsMan

HD next? We haven't had an HD first! :D

I'm thinking WVEC will be the first to go HD, with sister Belo stations WFAA, KHOU, and KING all have HD news... I'm estimating sometime next year. That would be unless WTKR's new owners (Local TV LLC) decide to push HD news on their stations. No LIN (WAVY) stations's newscasts are in HD, so I don't expect them to be first.

There hasn't been a single English-Language station in South Florida that has made the transistion to HD yet. Here are my predictions for which stations will go first:

Miami: WPLG Local 10

West Palm Beach: WPTV News Channel 5

WPXI - this fall with their new studios

WTAE - a leading Hearst station, has to be in line next

KDKA - I put them in last because they neew a new studio before they can go HD. Gateway Center is just too small.

No one is in HD in Memphis; the closest market that does HD newscasts is Nashville. I can, on occassion, receive WTVF and WSMV on my receiver (HD signals tend to travel farther than analog ones) and both their newscasts look awesome.

If I had to predict who would go HD first in Memphis, I'd have to say it's between WMC and WHBQ. I interned at WMC, and this is how they explained their current situation to me: they said that they have all the capability to do a HD newscast; their cameras can shoot 1080i 16:9 video and since they are an all-digital "tapeless house", they can present the video on-air with no quality loss or compression. BUT, the studio cameras are still the analogue standard, and the set (IMHO) is nowhere near the quality required for HD. So WMC has maybe a couple million dollars to invest before they can even begin doing HD newscasts...

WHBQ, the NewsCorp O&O, has a set that looks to be geared towards a switch to HD (as all the Fox O&O's do: superb lighting, crisp colours on the set). BUT, they still use cameras that are not quite HD-ready (I believe they still use DVCPRO, which is high quality, but just barely misses the mark when it comes to "true HD"). But with the direct relationship they have with Fox, this could all change very soon. WHBQ's rating did improve from where they were this time last year, so NewsCorp could reward WHBQ with an HD upgrade; who knows.

Here in San Diego, it is between KGTV and KNSD. My guess is KGTV since KNSD is an NBC O&O and well you all know what 2.0 has done for the NBC stations. Maybe September ?

WPXI - this fall with their new studios

WTAE - a leading Hearst station, has to be in line next

KDKA - I put them in last because they neew a new studio before they can go HD. Gateway Center is just too small.

I hear WPXI won't go HD just yet. Don't know where you get your information about studio size, though. WTAE and KDKA have similar sized main studios.

Here in Chi-town, until that Block 37 gets done and WBBM moves down the street from WLS, I don't think any other station would go HD. Since CBS 2 will be moving to their new broadcast center across the street from Macy's on State Street, they will end up being the 2nd television station in Chicago to broadcast in High Definition. To what I thought WMAQ would be next, NBC U 2.0 still doing those cuts but hopefully by next year Channel 5, WGN & FOX 32 would be in HD.

WTHR is in High Def., and since LIN loves putting money into WISH, that and McGraw Hill , and Tribune is cheap i think WISH/WNDY/WIIH will be next. Followed by WRTV, and lastly WXIN.

Plus, GO says WISH's graphics are HD.

Here, no one is even ready for HD. Its not even a big issue. I see however.. Locally-owned WPSD will go first. Their set looks ready for the big switch. Then KFVS, hence they are owned by Raycom. Then WSIL, because all they do is talk about how to make your own snow.

For Washington DC it is WRC. I read on DCRTV that WRC will start HD newscasts in 2007. In late 2006 WRC did some upgrades to there set.

For Baltimore it is WBAL or WJZ.

CBS and Hearst-Argyle is updating their O&O's newscasts with HD.

WMAR could also start HD newscasts because there set is HD ready and E. W. Scripps has WXYZ and WEWS with HD newscasts.

For Detroit it is WDIV.

For Washington DC it is WRC. I read on DCRTV that WRC will start HD newscasts in 2007. In late 2006 WRC did some upgrades to there set.

For Baltimore it is WBAL or WJZ.

CBS and Hearst-Argyle is updating their O&O's newscasts with HD.

WMAR could also start HD newscasts because there set is HD ready and E. W. Scripps has WXYZ and WEWS with HD newscasts.

For Detroit it is WDIV.

Actually in DC, I believe FOX 5 is the next to go HD, I believe they have the cameras and such and I couldve sworn I heard about them going HD in the Summer..(like July)

In Cleveland, it'll be good old WOIO...

Of course, I'm just using process of elimination. :D

Actually, I had heard some things suggesting WOIO will be broadcasting in high definition in time for November sweeps.

Here in the Bay Area, KPIX will most likely be going high-definition next, followed by KNTV whenever the money trickles down to them. KPIX is currently presenting episodes of the local magazine strip "Eye on the Bay" in high definition (presumably shot on XDCAM HD), so the technology exists in the building but it hasn't gotten to the news department yet.

I read somewhere that 5 Media General stations will be going HD soon, WFLA, WSLS, WCMH, WSPA, and a fifth one they haven't revealed yet.

Perhaps this will mean an end to the current look (especially with WCMH being a former O&O)

hmmm, maybe that last one will be WMBB lol

Right now in the St. Louis market KSDK (NBC) is the only one in HD. The next has to either be KMOV (CBS) or KTVI (FOX), and my money is on KTVI.

I read somewhere that 5 Media General stations will be going HD soon, WFLA, WSLS, WCMH, WSPA, and a fifth one they haven't revealed yet.

Perhaps this will mean an end to the current look (especially with WCMH being a former O&O)

hmmm, maybe that last one will be WMBB lol

To make it interesting what if the 5th one is WJBF. However you could say WCWJ in Jacksonville that doesn't do news could be a full HD station, since they have their digital channel on the air and run all programs the CW has in HD on it.

Archived