Couric & ABC working on exit

BehindNYNews

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/katie-couric-looking-at-abc-exit-yahoo-next_b204843

THR’s Marisa Guthrie reports Katie Couric“is close to finalizing a wide-ranging deal with Internet giant Yahoo!” and in the process exiting her contract with ABC News. That contract was part of a larger deal with Disney for her syndicated show. While Couric is looking to end “Katie” at the end of this season, her ABC News deal would have one more year on it. But ABC News appears ready to let her out of it.

----

I'm personally hoping for the return of GAA or extension of GMA. One can hope...

Well, this explains why one of ABC's most important O&Os is being given the all clear to blow out the first two minutes of Katie.

It's not going to be Jay Leno proportions, but can we consider Katie to be a complete disaster now? It's clearly hurt the O&Os to some degree.

Another article would some good insight and background. Will we see more news at 3pm on ABC O&Os?

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/katie-couric-falling-out-of-favor-at-abc-news-syndie-talker-1200870363/

If the time slot gets returned to the stations (which I'd be shocked), here's what I think will happen...

WLS reinstalls a midday newscast. What's happens to 'WCL' is anyone's guess. If it were to move to later slot, I'd put it at 2 and restore the old 3 o'clock hour. However, I doubt the show would survive another move.

WABC, WPVI (and anyone else in the same association) will expand the noon news to an hour, move 'Millionaire' to another slot.

Seeing as they already run an hour at 11am, KABC would probably (might) add news at 3, likely with a brand-new team, seeing as they're going to have to come up with someone to helm the new 8pm newscast in January.

As for the stations that don't fit any of the 3 scenarios above, I don't know. A few local pet projects might come around a la 'Windy City Live', but I wouldn't bet on it. Frankly, I think 'Good Afternoon America' will return. Contracts are due up at ABC, and Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer are pining for a larger role at the network/want more money. There are also rumblings of a talker by actress Mo'nique, but really...

If the time slot gets returned to the stations (which I'd be shocked), here's what I think will happen...

WLS reinstalls a midday newscast. What's happens to 'WCL' is anyone's guess. If it were to move to later slot, I'd put it at 2 and restore the old 3 o'clock hour. However, I doubt the show would survive another move.

WABC, WPVI (and anyone else in the same association) will expand the noon news to an hour, move 'Millionaire' to another slot.

Seeing as they already run an hour at 11am, KABC would probably (might) add news at 3, likely with a brand-new team, seeing as they're going to have to come up with someone to helm the new 8pm newscast in January.

As for the stations that don't fit any of the 3 scenarios above, I don't know. A few local pet projects might come around a la 'Windy City Live', but I wouldn't bet on it. Frankly, I think 'Good Afternoon America' will return. Contracts are due up at ABC, and Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer are pining for a larger role at the network/want more money. There are also rumblings of a talker by actress Mo'nique, but really...

The time slot already belongs to the ABC affiliates. ABC handed the affiliates over that extra hour to encourage them to pick up the Katie show. When the show ends, unless there's a clause requiring the ABC affiliates to give the hour back to the network, then they're free to use that hour for what ever they would like.

I really hope ABC can launch a new soap opera or add 2 1/2 hour game shows to their daytime schedule.

Craig Ferguson is going to be hosting some new 1/2 hour entry in the fall, and while it's being produced by the same company that does the Feud, it is going to be paired with Millionaire in some markets. However, I think that it's already been distributed to the Tribune stations (in terms of the large markets), which covers most of the ABC-owned areas.

Guest Former Member 207

KABC would be screwed twice..not only would have to fill the Katie spot at 3, but they would have to fill the 2pm slot when Dr. Oz moves back to KTTV next fall. Meredith Vieira's new talk show is also premiering this upcoming fall on the NBC O&Os; KNBC (and KXAS) both have Who Wants to be Millionaire on the current schedule, and of course some show(s) would have to be bumped to accommodate Meredith. I gotta believe that Millionaire (if it survives into the next TV season) winds up on KABC, and perhaps on WFAA in Dallas.

KABC would be screwed twice..not only would have to fill the Katie spot at 3, but they would have to fill the 2pm slot when Dr. Oz moves back to KTTV next fall. Meredith Vieira's new talk show is also premiering this upcoming fall on the NBC O&Os; KNBC (and KXAS) both have Who Wants to be Millionaire on the current schedule, and of course some show(s) would have to be bumped to accommodate Meredith. I gotta believe that Millionaire (if it survives into the next TV season) winds up on KABC, and perhaps on WFAA in Dallas.

Didn't KABC pick up the weekend runs of Right This Minute? They could always air that show weekdays after Katie ends to fill a gap until something better comes along, plus it's cheaper than most syndicated programs out there.

If ABC wants to be number one again it would be a wise decision to bring back AMC and OLTL

I don't see that happening. They were eliminated as a cost-cutting measure. Far less expensive to produce a talk show, game show, or extra hour of news than a scripted drama.

I'm a little disappointed she won't be joining The View.

They are both dead and people need to stop with the "Bring Back" protests.

Well, "dead" is subjective considering they were revived online but died due again due to an ABC/Prospect Park lawsuit (but really the online production company ran out of cash). Long story short, no matter how large you write it, it is never coming back to ABC.

It's official. Katie is joining Yahoo starting next year and the article does say that she will continue her Talk Show but I saw that other sites are reporting that there hasn't been a decision on her future with her show. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/25/katie-couric-to-join-yahoo-news-as-global-anchor/217988/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29&utm_content=FaceBook

It's official. Katie is joining Yahoo starting next year and the article does say that she will continue her Talk Show but I saw that other sites are reporting that there hasn't been a decision on her future with her show. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/25/katie-couric-to-join-yahoo-news-as-global-anchor/217988/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29&utm_content=FaceBook

Likely means the show will continue for the rest of the season as expected. It hasn't been renewed for a third season yet, and ratings aren't good enough now, so I would guess it would end after this season concludes.

This makes no sense. Why can't Katie Couric continue to do her talk show, correspond for ABC News, and serve as an anchor for Yahoo News? After all, ABC News and Yahoo News are news partners.

If anything, this seems more like a three-way association with the exact same network. Either way, Couric will still be with ABC News as they own both ABC Daytime and a chunk of Yahoo News.

At the very least, I hope that she still does her specials at the end of the year, "The Year with Katie Couric".

This makes no sense. Why can't Katie Couric continue to do her talk show, correspond for ABC News, and serve as an anchor for Yahoo News? After all, ABC News and Yahoo News are news partners.

If anything, this seems more like a three-way association with the exact same network. Either way, Couric will still be with ABC News as they own both ABC Daytime and a chunk of Yahoo News.

At the very least, I hope that she still does her specials at the end of the year, "The Year with Katie Couric".

Well she hasn't really done much of anything for ABC News since she was brought on as a special correspondent, so if ABC News isn't going to make use of her, it doesn't make sense for them to continue paying part of her salary.

Well she hasn't really done much of anything for ABC News since she was brought on as a special correspondent, so if ABC News isn't going to make use of her, it doesn't make sense for them to continue paying part of her salary.

Hopefully, she will continue to have specials because that, i my opinion, is what she does best. That is her brand. In the news, not as the queen of talk.

I particularly want her to continue doing "The Year with Katie Couric".

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of the ratings, I think Katie has been good as a talk show host. She should angle for a deal similar to Barbara Walters' 1976 deal; half of her salary be paid by ABC News (correspondent role for 20/20 or Nightline perhaps) and half paid by ABC Entertainment (primetime specials, "Katie," or a spot on The View when Barbara leaves).

Archived