What's the difference?

todayshowproducer

HELP! Can some please help to explain something to me? People mention it all the time...but what do people mean by "oh yeah, that resembles a cable news set" or "that set looks Australian" What does this mean? Does each one have like a different vibe? Is it the lighting, style of presentation, or what?

Well, I think the cable news set vibe comes from the fact that they usually break the mold from the big 3 networks. Look at ABC, NBC and CBS...they have a desk, and it's usually in front of a big TV (a newsroom before that). That's pretty much how it's been for 30-plus years. Then you can take a look at something like the Fox News "deck". It's flashy, it's different, and it's a risky piece of work that the main nets aren't going to invest in.

As for the foreign sets, I've always looked at it like this...they seem to be really clean, with overly-dramatic lighting and almost cinema-like production values. And everything seems to look very futuristic, yet with very few frills. In recent years, the networks have made steps in that direction, look at the 'Today' show's last set and the way 'World News' is being done now.

It's kinda hard to explain, but that's just how I see it.

Archived