Atlanta Snow Storm 2014 coverage: The good, the bad, and the YIKES!!!

johnnya2k6

We here in Atlanta just went through an explicit snowstorm that, as someone who's new from a certain state known for its bone-chilling winters, made me homesick. ALL of our stations had total coverage from morning to night, preempting programming along the way.

We start with (who else?) WSB, as their coverage on Tuesday and Wednesday racked up a total of 20 HOURS!!!!!!! And you can tell it was the story of the year when they deployed 25 reporters and scores of photographers and producers to cover each and every square inch as possible! Hell, KTLA had 27 1/2 hours of uninterrupted coverage of the Kathy Fiscus well tragedy in 1949 and only one reporter (Stan Chambers) was on it from beginning to end. I swear, if John Pruitt and Monica Pearson were still at the station today, they would've been covering this non-stop.

Anyway...for the #1 news station in the country, they were top notch as always; I assume their live stream was also seen around the world, but they didn't address that.

WAGA was a solid second; coverage and reportage was solid, but with a few flaws.

WGCL totally impressed me; they may have been fourth in the ratings but were third in my book. My only gripe was that their HOT (and I do mean that) main weather lady Markina Brown got less camera time.

Finally, WXIA. I've been seeing bits and pieces, but theirs were at the level of KTUU. At least they moved their NBC shows (including Today, Days of our Lives, Nightly News, Biggest Loser, Leno, Fallon, and Last Call), Ellen DeGeneres, Dr. Phil, and Jeopardy to sister station WATL on Tuesday, which was a good move on their part. Why didn't WSB put Entertainment Tonight -- which has been on Channel 2 from the very beginning -- and the rest of their preempted shows on their MeTV subchannel (WAGA's runs classic movies, so they couldn't do the same)?

Anyway, that's my assessment on how our stations did in a snowstorm that, this time unlike the last, they were well prepared. I sure damn hope that the folks at KTVF, KTUU, and KTVA (who gives a shit about KYUR?) back in Alaska were watching some portions online and taking lots of notes!

Anyway, that's my assessment on how our stations did in a snowstorm that, this time unlike the last, they were well prepared. I sure damn hope that the folks at KTVF, KTUU, and KTVA (who gives a shit about KYUR?) back in Alaska were watching some portions online and taking lots of notes!

Okay, first of all the stations in Alaska have none of the resources that Cox gives WSB. Also Alaska is used to this kind of weather. This kind of weather happens once in a blue moon in the ATL.

Okay, first of all the stations in Alaska have none of the resources that Cox gives WSB. Also Alaska is used to this kind of weather. This kind of weather happens once in a blue moon in the ATL.

I know; but during the two deep freezes we've been having, KTVF and the others were going "Ha-ha!"

Next thing you know, Mike Shultz will be challenging Glenn Burns to a street fight.

I have to say of course WSB was going to come out on top but I did watch WXIA coverage and they had all the players on deck. I watched very little WSB via the net, but watched WXIA and they seem to have some good aggressive coverage. I guess each station covered it their own way. Let see what the futures hold when the next snow storm comes their way.

• 2 weeks later...

Not according to Joe Bastardi on the radio the other day. He says we are through with the warm cycle and are going to go through a cold period like in the 1960's and 1970's and this kind of weather is going to be more normal in the mid-south. If you can find a Sean Hannity podcast from yesterday you can hear it.

(Don't mock me for listening to Sean Hannity. It was the only thing on the radio last night while doing my shopping trips.)

The Daily Show had fun with WSB and it's 25 box news coverage.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-january-30-2014/south-parked---two-inches-of-snow

During that same storm, WSYX also showed a graphic of the entire news team. It made it look as if the entire team was out and about covering the storm.

Archived