Olympic Graphics Roundup 2014

Viper550

Firstly...

World feed

Yeah, it's the same package from London, except the L3's now have diamond patterns and snow running through them, and a slightly nicer transition. Surprisingly, they kept elements that seemed to fit more with the diagonal line fixation of London (i.e. the slanted flags)

Canada

CBC's look is very avant-garde, with a white, red, and gold color scheme and a lot of diamonds. Most of their graphics carry on a similar motif, but the one curious thing I've noticed is that they're actually using the world feed L3's for studio coverage. I've never seen either CTV or CBC (or even NBC) do that before; CTV had its own package, and CBC previously used variants of the normal CBC Sports look (for Beijing, it was a red recolor). And yes, CBC's old theme music got re-arranged too, no more of that "I Believe" nonsense!

NBC

Mountains! Oh, and I'm not the only one seeing the Hearst Triangles in there. The rest of the graphics are, well, like London (i.e. modified version of the stock NBC Sports 2012 design)

^No, You're Not! Just saw NBC's Regular Coverage Open tonight(my favorite thing about NBC!) and its looks like Hearst bought NBC! Or, the other way around! How does that work?, as NBC News still has all their graphics. Is NBC just using Hearst for Sochi? or will we see more?

• 2 weeks later...

When seeing NBC's version of olympic graphics I immediately thought of the diagrid look from Hearst Television, Although I think they could have made a unique branding technique, I really enjoy the treatments they used, & the graphical arrangments are actually different than Hearst in terms of the scale and motion that they used. Transparency is more thourough in NBC, In Hearst we dont see that as much.

-Travis

^No, You're Not! Just saw NBC's Regular Coverage Open tonight(my favorite thing about NBC!) and its looks like Hearst bought NBC! Or, the other way around! How does that work?, as NBC News still has all their graphics. Is NBC just using Hearst for Sochi? or will we see more?

Although it would be intresting to see how HTV would treat NBC graphics in correlation with their diagrid look, but that's not the case. I first noticed the "Diagrid" Look on NBC during their New Years broadcast, and I thought "Why is NBC using the Hearst graphics? Hearst made the triangle graphics to reflect the structure of the Hearst Tower in New York. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe NBC has any link to that architectural style. I would like to know why NBC has embraced diagrid. However I think it looks great!

-Travis

I said it once, and it bears repeating...

Hearst does not own the triangle.

Besides, the triangle/diamond design comes from the medal design...

600x600_Olympics-bronze.jpg

I completely understand that Hearst doesent own the triangle, or the diagrid design. However, Hearst has a reason for designing the graphics the way they did because of the Hearst Tower, I'm curious as to why NBC used it without any prior linkage to that design,

As for the medal, That wouldn't explain why they used them during the New Year Broadcast, Or does it.......

-Travis

I completely understand that Hearst doesent own the triangle, or the diagrid design. However, Hearst has a reason for designing the graphics the way they did because of the Hearst Tower, I'm curious as to why NBC used it without any prior linkage to that design,

As for the medal, That wouldn't explain why they used them during the New Year Broadcast, Or does it.......

-Travis

The individual crystal panels on the Times Square ball are triangular.

Did NBC run a Sochi Olympic closing credit roll?

Watched both airings of the closing ceremony but did not see one except for ending five minute olympic montage.

It was at the end of the afternoon coverage Sunday.

Archived