Southern Icejam '14 (aka "Winter Storm Pax")

skbl17

Just two weeks after Snowjam '14 paralyzed northern Georgia and northern Alabama (TVNT thread here,) we are staring down the barrel of what could turn into a crippling-to-apocalyptic ice and snowstorm for many of the same areas, including Augusta, Columbia, and maybe even parts of the coastal areas of the Carolinas. Elsewhere, Atlanta will see snow (1.5-4",) sleet, and ice (0.2-0.6",) which would be incredibly dangerous. Further north and northeast, including cities like Charlotte, Greenville, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro, the event should be mostly snow with a bit of sleet and some freezing rain. To the north, cities like DC, Baltimore, and Richmond will get in on the snow act, while Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston is up in the air at the moment (snow or sleet?).

You know things are going to be bad when WSB breaks out the 10+ reporter box like they did for Snowjam '14. As of noon today, The Weather Channel wasn't in, as Hulkie refers to it, "WE'RE GONNA DIE MODE", although that will change by midnight more than likely. Last night, WXIA did something interesting during one of their streams: they let the public listen in on a briefing from the NWS! Otherwise, broadcasting schedules remain normal at the moment for metro Atlanta stations, although that will change tonight into tomorrow as the smorgasbord of winter weather moves in. WXIA is streaming as I type this.

Any other thoughts or observations? Are any other stations changing plans?

That's the first thing I thought of when TWC chose its name.

WSB is broadcasting one hour early due to Governor Deal's press conference, which just concluded. Some downright apocalyptic comments came from officials. WXIA will go on the air at 5pm with their "Help Desk", as per the course. WSB's 11pm newscast will start at 10pm.

Here in Charlotte, WBTV simulcast their .2 7-9am cast on the main channel and are breaking into programming at the top of throughout the hour with updates (along with WSOC).

Other than that, everyone has been with regular programming as of 10am. Wouldn't be surprised if they go wall-to-wall around noon or so when the storm really gets going up here.

--WCNC broke into TFHOT around 10:30-10:45 and will go local until (at least) 3pm.

--WSOC, as mentioned above, went local at 11:30am and will be on throughout the day.

--WBTV broke into the final 10 minutes of The Price Is Right ;their noon news has been expanded to an hour. Not sure beyond that and have been local ever since.

Ugh, this twitter hashtag thing is getting annoying. All of the stations here are doing hashtag-branding-snow. So it's #6abcsnow, #cbs3snow, #nbc10snow... you get the idea. Combined with #winterstorm, #snOMG, #phillywx, #Pax, #Weather... there really should be a standardized naming system for these things.

I'm gonna go with The Weather Channel's name. Not because I like it, but because it's the closest thing to a universal name we have.

Anyway, watching the channels. NBC10 has Olympics so they have to shove things around and use 10.2/Cozi for coverage. They will be doing an 11pm broadcast, starting on Cozi, and moving to 10.1 when the coverage wraps up. Apparently they can't pre-empt the overnight replays either, so, yes, THREE AM NEWS will be on Cozi. Then they'll move to 10.1 at 4am and probably pre-empt everything up to Olympics coverage at 3 (Sending NBC programming to 10.2). Basically, they have every reporter doing a thing on the storm. Sheena and Hurricane are tag-teaming weather coverage, #JoLo (Keith Jones and Jaqueline London, who apparently work well together) is helming the five.

Pax coverage begins on CBS 3 tomorrow at 4am. They always display the CBS 3 and CW Philly 57 logos together, but usually in this case CBS 3 goes wall to wall and WPSG becomes CBS 57.

Fox 29's usual start time is 4am, but Caitlin Roth is saying Good Day begins at 4. It now technically begins at 7 - the first three hours are the "Fox 29 Morning News". I know it's kind of pedantic since it's still 6 hours of Fox 29 News, and they use Good Day bumps and music on the Fox 29 Morning News (though they're in the main news studio for it, and go to Studio 29 at 7). Whether that means Mike and Sheinelle go on early or not or the morning block begins at its usual time isn't clear.

As far as I know 6 is going on at 4. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

And I'm still waiting for the 20-box graphic. I know that NBC 10 will, whenever they have the opportunity, do that.

Count on it.

IN NORTH CAROLINA: The conditions in Raleigh right now are exactly like they were here two weeks ago. WRAL is streaming live.

I've been viewing WTVD & WSOC streams all evening. As of 6:45pm/EST, WTVD is pre-empting World News Tonight, while WSOC is airing WNT but will return afterwards for a special hourlong 7pm news.

And I'm still waiting for the 20-box graphic. I know that NBC 10 will, whenever they have the opportunity, do that.

Count on it.

Well, WSB reached 20 and WCNC is at 17, so I'd say it's quite possible.

#I #definitely #agree #with #you #on #the #hashtag #thing #though. We don't need sixty hashtags just to figure out that yes, the weather sucks in the Southeast and it's all because of a winter storm. Also, CNN's home page looks a lot like something out of the Huffington Post.

CNNHuffpo.thumb.PNG.14316c727609194ad3083730ddf0758c.PNG

WSB may have on the air longer than Jerry Lewis' telethon, but I felt that WXIA had the absolute best coverage by far. Days Of Our Lives and Nightly News -- the only network newscast that was on Wednesday -- were banished to sister station WATL (THE ATL, as they call it now) as usual, and they held true to their word that the Olympics would not be affected. After all, they were the host TV station of the 1996 games.

WAGA's was a whole lot calm (thanks to their weather team of Ken Cook, Joanne Feldman, and Jeff Hill) and understandable; they too stayed on since the wee hours, but finally wrapped at 7:00 pm Wednesday so they would resume regular programming. WGCL had Markina Brown and Paul Ossmann playing weather tag team, and their continuous coverage ended at 8:30 though they will air Wednesday's episodes of Young & the Restless/Bold and the Beautiful this Friday at 1:35 am (to the delight of concerned soaps fans).

And finally, back to WSB: There has been a lot of bitching on their Facebook page about their preempted programming, causing many loyal fans to either check out the other stations or hit up Netflix (the WWE Network won't come until the 24th). Coverage? I watched only snippets this time as opposed to chunks, and realized that I still had the Beatles special on my DVR from Sunday, so I gave up. On Thursday afternoon, and after 39 HOURS of round-the-clock coverage preempting their ENTIRE schedule (the longest I've ever seen), it was finally back to regular programming.

I sampled WRAL, WTVD, and WXII for the North Carolina angle, and WXII sort of pulled a WSB with a six-box and Cameron Kent and Wanda Starke in Mount Airy and Winston-Salem respectively. Didn't check out Virginia, but I was reading numerous tweets about WDBJ's coverage preempting their beloved Andy Griffith!

Didn't check out Virginia, but I was reading numerous tweets about WDBJ's coverage preempting their beloved Andy Griffith!

I visited relatives in Roanoke last summer, and it puzzled me why they were airing a decades-old sitcom where the other two stations (WSLS & WSET) were airing news, like everyone else in the country.

Archived