Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

• 1 month later...
Someone took a few cues from News '80s v2...

I'd love to hear that cut in the clear someday, especially the end.

I can say there isn't much more to the end. It was a 30 second cut that ended with a riff on the WTNCF signature. Maybe there's a longer version that wasn't used on air.

There were also some mixdowns of that cut used for bumpers.

Still wondering if anyone has reached out to Grizzell to see if the original 1983/84 era cuts of WTNCF are around. Classic stuff, especially that preshow bumper - it just screams 'news'. Amazed someone who was green to composing news themes came up with it.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

If you watch closely at the video titled "WILX Channel 10", the graphics sorta put me in mind of KXTV in a way.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I noticed that KHON used a theme that had a three-note signature at the end. It can be heard at around :13 into the video.

KHON did use the "2 Belongs" slogan during the early 1980s and this leads me to believe that KHON may have used Peters Productions' "X Belongs" at that time. I could be wrong though. Anyone willing to chime in?

• Like 1

Sexy little 80's-dance-club-meets-news sounding early 90's theme from WILX. Production music? Any clues?

WWAY used those graphics with The Image Leader in/around 1995. The video used to be on YouTube.

• Like 1

KHON did use the "2 Belongs" slogan during the early 1980s and this leads me to believe that KHON may have used Peters Productions' "X Belongs" at that time. I could be wrong though. Anyone willing to chime in?

Peters was interesting, in that while they used the same slogan from station to station, the actual image campaigns were often unique to the station (or at least not shared between all stations who used that slogan; Ed Peters told me the former, but I know that two stations could have the same music - at least part of the WPIX "11 Alive" music package originated at KCST, it showed up in a snippet in a long lost retrospective I watched on KNSD's website in the 00s).

In this case, I am pretty sure "X Belongs" is not actually the only Peters "Belongs" package. One of my phone conversations with Peters seemed to confirm my suspicion that KTNV 1981 was part of a "13 Belongs" image package from Peters. (The beginning of the intro seems to correspond with the syllables "Thi-ir-teen Be-longs".) This may be connected to a possible "13 Belongs" music package with a nearly identical motif, that KOVR used around the turn of the decade (though I do not know if they used it for news, I've just seen a movie intro with a "13 Belongs" logo paired with said music). Also, I have additional suspicions that WTVD 1979 is "11 Together", and that KTVX 1981 might be a separate "2 Together" package. In addition, I've wondered if WJBK 1980 could be an entirely different "2 Together" also from Peters. (KVIA 1985 could also be another "7 Together" package, but I'm not sure if Peters still held exclusive trademarks on those taglines by then.)

So this "2 Belongs" could be by Peters without actually being "X Belongs".

• Like 1

I'll be honest - I could definitely see KTNV 1981 and WTVD 1979 being Peters, but I'm not so sure about KTVX, WJBK and KVIA, just going off the general musical style...

Then again, Peters didn't really seem to have as much of a distinct "signature" to their work as, say, Tuesday. You could be forgiven for thinking that X Belongs and the WXIA themes were by completely different composers.

That's true. One of them, TV 8 News Theme, even sounds vaguely Tuesday-esque. If it weren't for the fact that the webmaster of ClassicThemes was the writer of that theme and several others from Peters and put the info up on his site, I'd have wondered whether NMSA had it mislabeled as Peters.

In fact, I'm convinced one supposed Peters package, KCRA and You, actually is a Tuesday package mislabeled as Peters on NMSA. It screams "Tuesday", and I even have a montage of various Tuesday radio/TV image songs from a jingle collector, that includes a "KCRA and You" song with the same melody.

KCRA and You sounds very Tuesday-esque to my ears too. The instrumentation is very reminiscent of the older parts of the 1-16 + A-H series.

And what of "We Take You There"? I've never even seen any documentation of its existence beyond the totally blank NMSA listing, and I find it hard to believe that KCRA would have been using two different themes from two different companies at once.

"We Take You There" was a real KCRA news image campaign, and it was by Peters. I first heard it on 80sTVThemes many years ago. This SoundCloud posting is from someone who worked in radio/TV in Sacramento at the time: https://m.soundcloud.com/loopala/kcra-tv-we-take-you-there-1981

And KLXT77 posted video some years back:

However, it's most likely that this was only a promo campaign, and not a news theme.

Peters was interesting, in that while they used the same slogan from station to station, the actual image campaigns were often unique to the station (or at least not shared between all stations who used that slogan; Ed Peters told me the former, but I know that two stations could have the same music - at least part of the WPIX "11 Alive" music package originated at KCST, it showed up in a snippet in a long lost retrospective I watched on KNSD's website in the 00s).

In this case, I am pretty sure "X Belongs" is not actually the only Peters "Belongs" package. One of my phone conversations with Peters seemed to confirm my suspicion that KTNV 1981 was part of a "13 Belongs" image package from Peters. (The beginning of the intro seems to correspond with the syllables "Thi-ir-teen Be-longs".) This may be connected to a possible "13 Belongs" music package with a nearly identical motif, that KOVR used around the turn of the decade (though I do not know if they used it for news, I've just seen a movie intro with a "13 Belongs" logo paired with said music). Also, I have additional suspicions that WTVD 1979 is "11 Together", and that KTVX 1981 might be a separate "2 Together" package. In addition, I've wondered if WJBK 1980 could be an entirely different "2 Together" also from Peters. (KVIA 1985 could also be another "7 Together" package, but I'm not sure if Peters still held exclusive trademarks on those taglines by then.)

So this "2 Belongs" could be by Peters without actually being "X Belongs".

In the case of 'JBK, at least from the late '70's til the early 80's, the station collaborated w/ Peters on their image campaigns, ie, JBK's promo/ CS came up with the overarching theme of the campaign, Peters did the heavy lifting (writing the music) not unlike getting a custom made suit versus one off the rack. Sometimes it worked (2 Together), other times (the steaming pile of "TV2 is Yours" or the ineffective "Two is the One"), not so much... As for other Storer stations and Peters, I suspect 'The Winners' was specially made for 'JKW, then tweaked for 'TVG.

And I think that WNGE Nashville's "A new Beat" may well be Peters as well, based on the "hump 2' that 'JBK used during the 'is yours' campaign

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know the music used at 19:30 in this video?

The music used in this video?

[MEDIA=vimeo]198717461[/MEDIA]

The new Sunrise theme? Production music?

First cut in this video?

I know, it's a lot! Thanks to anybody who can help!

We already know the composer, but I think there's something to be said about the find I have here.

I ran across this in the October 19, 1987 issue of the Albuquerque Journal:

KOB-TV, Channel 4, has become the third Albu[qu]erque network affiliate to adopt a new set for its newscasts. Like those at the other two stations, KOB's set is designed to give the viewer a sense of spaciousness and a three-dimensional feel. Designed by Graphic Express Corp., of San Diego, the set takes up 1,075 square feet in KOB's main studio and cost about $60,000. KOB is also using new graphics and new theme music to open its newscasts.

I think these are the graphics and theme mentioned (this clip aired in late September, a month before the article ran):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=npXaI24U8OU;t=20

Yes, WROC 1992 as the NMSA calls it, or in other words, the mysterious Otis Conner package. But it's interesting to see that KOB was using it this early. I wonder if KOB might have even commissioned the package.

———

The opposite is true here. We know the composer and station, but have no copy of this theme.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser, December 3, 1989:

DENTIST Martin Nweeia composed and then used a synthesizer to perform the theme music for the news program "Good Morning Hawaii." The news is broadcast by Nweeia's wife Cynthia Yip on KITV at 6:25 and 7:25 weekday mornings with the "Good Morning America" program.

———

And here, this is a breakthrough:

The Greenville News January 10, 1994:

Viewers will see WYFF's new look starting Monday. Its set was designed by Atlanta-based production designer J.C. Burns, who has done work at CNN. Its new, original theme music was composed by former Greenville resident Bob Farnsworth, who runs Hummingbird Productions in Nashville, Still said.

(The similarities to the WEAR Hummingbird stuff, and to The Diary which Hummingbird also did, are definitely there!)

———

WAOW's mid-1980s theme was written locally by Mark Gungor.

Is it this? This is from early 1986, and the article is from 1985.

You could try to get in touch with him, but he's doing something very different these days.

———

I'm on a ROLL.

I predicted this years ago based on BMI repertoire entries, but WLKY 1989, which debuted January 31, 1988, was composed by none other than Phil Copeland.

• Like 1

Hmm...it's definitely conceivable. Not much of a stretch for the signature to spell "K-O-B-T-V", and they're definitely the earliest by far known user.

I suppose they would have replaced News 88 with it - which incidentally adds more pre-1988 usage for that theme (the voiceover progression makes sense for this chronology).

I know that WDIV used a certain cut of First News for the Newsbeat at 5 from 1989-90 to 2002 (Local First News at 5 for 2000-2002), but did any other station use that same cut at all?

For reference, here's an open from the Newsbeat at 5 from 1990:

• Like 2

WAOW's mid-1980s theme was written locally by Mark Gungor.

(video snipped)

You could try to get in touch with him, but he's doing something very different these days.

Gungor was one of the principals in the Narrator Tracks royalty-free library for a lot of years. He's no longer involved with it; local jazz saxophonist Tom Washatka now owns them. I primarily know this because they're based here in EAA-land. :)

• Like 1