Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

Indeed, I've suspected that for years myself. "KWES 2002" is a dead ringer for the Tuesday sound, especially when compared to KAKE 1988.

One thing about it though...if they truly used it up until 2008, that's a pretty great shelf life for a small 80s pack!

I was watching an old WJW promo from 1985 on YT, and I began to think that WJW News Theme from Michael Randall Music from 1985-1995 is related

to this promo. I could be wrong though.

That promo song is definitely Jake Holmes, someone much better known for commercial jingles.

i'm still not convinced Sweet did the "Count on TV6/Count on 13" campaign. The KTNV version looks like it was copied from WITI (especially the anchors laughing and looking at the camera part, which was in
of the WITI promo) and the music style is different. Hearing his stuff on the radio pretty much daily, the "Count On" campaign sounds nothing like anything else he's done.

I worked some sources on this, and while I didn't find out who wrote the campaign, I found out how it ended up on KTNV about a decade after WITI used it.

A man named Jim Behling was KTNV's GM in the late 80's. Jim started his TV career in Milwaukee at WITI, where he worked in the promotions department for a number of years, though it's believed he was the Production Manager when WITI was using the promo.

Unfortunately, as the link above shows, Mr. Behling passed away in 2010.

On KWES 2002: I'm actually starting to wonder whether KAKE 1988/KAKE 1989 are even Tuesday. I swear I sent samples to Tom DiNoto and he said they were Tuesday's work (or that they sounded familiar), but he also said that he did not recognize the KWES 2002 close.

The reason I am pondering whether it is actually Tuesday, is that after deducing WROC 1992 as being an Otis Conner package (through instrumentation/drum machine sample similarities with the 1989 KCBS AM 740 package I used to hear when I was young), I took another listen to those KAKE packages and also seemed to hear similarities in the sound, and that made me wonder if they were actually Conner rather than Tuesday.

I can still definitely hear why I had originally assumed it was Tuesday to begin with, so I'm not confident enough to say I absolutely DON'T believe it was their work. Unfortunately, I have had no luck getting responses from Mr. Conner; he responded to the RNYN curator about WROC 1992 confirming he did it, and responded to me asking about a different package and saying it wasn't his work. Other than that, I haven't gotten any answers about anything from Mr. Conner (I think I even messaged him about these KAKE packages, never heard back...)

During the 1980s, WTHI in Terre Haute and WPXI in Pittsburgh used the classic package entitled "Look At Us". I found out that Canberra's Capital 7 in Australia also used the package at the time. Canberra's version used the WPXI "Look At Us" slogan and in this video, it contains the full ID with vocals at :47 into this video. I am posting this video in the hope that someone will identify who composed this theme.

The WPXI/WTHI campaign was also used by TVW7 in Perth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2A5QaFBvUQ

I have no idea who was behind it, I just can tell from listening that the WPXI and TVW7 versions were sung in Los Angeles (with the same singers heard on the 70s ABC fall campaigns, and the Klein & image campaigns).

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody really given the KPRC 1984 Theme a good listen? It really sounds a lot like Telesound, doesn't it?

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,524

Yeah, I do hear the resemblance. Listen to the early version on open 1 (formerly "KPRC 1983"), that sounds even more like them.

Out here in the Bay Area, KICU San Jose used v1 of KPRC '83/'84. They also used Telesound's "You Should See Us Now" image campaign (there are IDs on YT with a short instrumental tag version). So while that doesn't prove anything, it's still intriguing.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get in touch with Karl Sjodahl yet...

Random thought here...but I picked up on the fact that WCMH had a customized version of "Prime News". I always thought it sounded different from the KSAZ or WDAF versions.

If you listen closely at the end, you can hear a musical "Where News Comes First" signature.

No expert here, but I don't believe any other station used that particular signature.

Has anybody really given the KPRC 1984 Theme a good listen? It really sounds a lot like Telesound, doesn't it?

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,524

Yeah, I do hear the resemblance. Listen to the early version on open 1 (formerly "KPRC 1983"), that sounds even more like them.

Out here in the Bay Area, KICU San Jose used v1 of KPRC '83/'84. They also used Telesound's "You Should See Us Now" image campaign (there are IDs on YT with a short instrumental tag version). So while that doesn't prove anything, it's still intriguing.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get in touch with Karl Sjodahl yet...

Never put the two together but makes sense.

Telesound did some great funky work. Hope you manage to reach him (and Randall, and Grizzell).

Arizona Republic, June 30, 1984...

BUD: Could you tell me the name of the beautiful theme music on [KPHO] Channel 5's 9:30 p.m. news? Nancy Uhlo, Glendale

NANCY: You won't find the opening theme music at your favorite record store. It was produced specifically for News 5 at Pantheon Recording Studio in Paradise Valley. The title? "News 5 Theme, I suppose," said promotion director Greg Brannan.

Unfortunately, there is no KPHO from this era to provide an audio sample of this theme.

EDIT: I believe it is this. This open was long in the tooth by this time, I suspect:

April 30, 1993...

Bob Sullivan, news director at Channel 12, has changed its slogan from "Real Life-Real News" to "Arizona's News Station." He says it's a way of giving the public a better idea of the station's direction.

That explains some things, including the 1992 open... It also confirms something I've always suspected. News Station did not debut until spring '93. "Real Life, Real News" was used from about 1990.

October 27, 1996... (Impact News debuted in the fall of 96)

Fox 10's recent makeover which includes a new set; new graphics package; one new anchor, Terry McSweeney; one familiar anchor promoted to the top job, Marlene Galan; and that snappy new Fox 10 handle includes a couple of almost subliminal hints about the direction the newscast seems to be heading: If you listen carefully to the introductory theme music at 10 p.m., you will hear the squawk of a police radio scanner and the unmistakable sound of an emergency siren.
  • Like 1

Arizona Republic, June 30, 1984...

Unfortunately, there is no KPHO from this era to provide an audio sample of this theme.

Just grasping at straws here, but is there any chance this could be the 1988 theme, or even this oddball from '86? The 1988 theme especially always sounded rather dated for then to me.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably a long shot, but I'd love to have the mystery solved to one of my favorite unknown themes...

Any clue as to who did this incredible WCSC theme? It's unfortunate there aren't any more clips of WCSC from this era to hear more... I'm thinking this came in around 1991 and was gone by '94

This is probably a long shot, but I'd love to have the mystery solved to one of my favorite unknown themes...

Any clue as to who did this incredible WCSC theme? It's unfortunate there aren't any more clips of WCSC from this era to hear more... I'm thinking this came in around 1991 and was gone by '94

Sure wonder if it was a tiny one-off package from Arnold that was custom and never syndicated/marketed? It has some similiar stylings to some of his stuff back in the early 90's. Anyway, that's one opinion and it lines up with the fact that they had another Arnold custom package that they had used up until 96. You could always email them a clip of it and see if they recognize it.

• Like 2

Sure wonder if it was a tiny one-off package from Arnold that was custom and never syndicated/marketed? It has some similiar stylings to some of his stuff back in the early 90's. Anyway, that's one opinion and it lines up with the fact that they had another Arnold custom package that they had used up until 96. You could always email them a clip of it and see if they recognize it.

Always thought it sounded like Newsleader in parts...

• Like 1

Anyone know who's responsible for these two themes of synthy 90s goodness from WLNE? I believe the first one ran concurrent with John Tesh's "Shock."

I'm prolly way off, but Doppler Studios Atlanta (also producers of the WSB 1991 theme) come to mind, especially with the second YouTube clip. And behind the anchor portion of the second clip, I'm reminded of the WJLA 1992 Open, which I previously wondered if Doppler Studios had anything to do with. Also, wonder if Rhode Island based Star Trak Music (startrakstudios.com who composed their 1995 theme may have composed any earlier themes? According to their website, they've been around over 30 years, so either of these guesses may be a slim possibility! Checked through ASCAP and BMI and with BMI, StarTrak Music composer John Rametta only had one listing for WLNE, but he also listed a ton of individual package cuts separately as BMI composition entries, so there is really no way to know for sure if there wasn't other things made. Lots of rabbit holes here to jump in and out of.

Maybe some others will chime in with some more guesses that get us in the right direction or with some confirmation somewhere over these two packs.

• Like 1

Thanks to a some video links by @KnoxvilleTVFan under the Classic video section, we may have found the producer/company for WAFF's "We're Your Kind of People" not sure if anyone else has ever connected this on here before :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt9ROI8fZ48 I did a search for the guy (Tim Tappan) mentioned in the WAFF jingle story and his obit showed that he produced jingles and such for "Sound Shop Studios" of Nashville. [URL]http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=106408808[/URL] So, it looks most likely that another unknown jingle/news theme may be solved.

I'm prolly way off, but Doppler Studios Atlanta (also producers of the WSB 1991 theme) come to mind, especially with the second YouTube clip. And behind the anchor portion of the second clip, I'm reminded of the WJLA 1992 Open, which I previously wondered if Doppler Studios had anything to do with. Also, wonder if Rhode Island based Star Trak Music (startrakstudios.com who composed their 1995 theme may have composed any earlier themes? According to their website, they've been around over 30 years, so either of these guesses may be a slim possibility! Checked through ASCAP and BMI and with BMI, StarTrak Music composer John Rametta only had one listing for WLNE, but he also listed a ton of individual package cuts separately as BMI composition entries, so there is really no way to know for sure if there wasn't other things made. Lots of rabbit holes here to jump in and out of.

Maybe some others will chime in with some more guesses that get us in the right direction or with some confirmation somewhere over these two packs.

I have a feeling Star Trak was behind their 2001-09 theme though. The instrumentation is classic Star Trak.

• Like 1

More information on KFSN 2014 thanks to the NMSA: It's being called "ABC30 News" by DreamArtists Music, who has also composed music for the network itself. Makes sense considering KFSN is an O&O.

Nice to have confirmation. The instrumentation was a dead giveaway when it debuted.

• Like 2

I presume three waves of We're Your Kind of People. One's from 1982 (right after the fire), one is the Tappan version from 1984, and I believe there was a third wave used for a hot moment in 1986 and early 1987.

There's also a mention of a *new* news opening, which is intriguing...

This theme was used between 1982 and 1986...

This is the "third wave"...

The second wave stuff sounds totally different from the first.

• Like 1