WTHR Graphic changes?

joejoejo

Did WTHR change its graphics for just the weather as the differences are shown in the pictures below? The new look like the NBC O&O graphics or a variation on them. Also looks like they chained the SkyTrak logo a bit also. Anything, including comments about the new look are appreciated.

old:

today3.jpg

chuck-monday-7-day1.jpg

New:

DAYPART.jpg

24883725_BG1.jpg

so then if not NBC look then it definitely looks like it is in the style of the NBC O&O graphics then they definitely changes the graphics for the weather. they look like or in the style of what WCAU's weather graphics look like now.

the logo for WTHR i believe was made by Gari's Art House as on http://www.garimediagroup.com/gari_web_intro_004.swf when you hover over art house it shows WTHR's logo

so if it is not NBC, how do i think it looks like it is made in the style of NBC O&O graphics?

Also has any of their other graphics changed or is it just the graphics for the weather and the SkyTrak Weather logo that changed?

First of all I can't believe they kept that ugly font in this refresh.

Secondly, it looks like it was updated in-house. The original package, as well as the package they used before it, was done by 168 Design Group but they have since went out of business.

It's not NBC work, that's right. Television by Design? They have a LONG relationship with WTHR...

I thought I remember reading a long time ago (they got these in the summer of 2008) that they were design by 168 in San Francisco. They are the ones who designed the previous sunset/ sunrise graphics.

Edit: SANewsGuy got to it first.

As for the font, eh.

I cannot STAND the widescreen graphics. I have an HDTV but not HD cable, which means they will letterbox and shrink the screen which I find annoying as hell. Keep it in the 4:3 and there's no problem. Don't fix what's not broken.

I cannot STAND the widescreen graphics. I have an HDTV but not HD cable, which means they will letterbox and shrink the screen which I find annoying as hell. Keep it in the 4:3 and there's no problem. Don't fix what's not broken.

I very truly hope I don't sound insensitive or anything here, but...

Why do you not have HD cable? It's not like it's that huge of an expense - maybe a few bucks more each month for a standard, non-DVR box. I'm pretty sure most companies offer HD boxes to new customers.

Sorry, but SD content on an HDTV when there's an HD feed available is one of my personal pet peeves. Seriously, I can't count the times I've gone into a bar, and all the HDTVs are tuned to the SD feeds of ESPN or Comcast SportsNet or what have you. I end up telling the bartender "seriously, you want to have channel 576 on, not channel 9". Hell, the last few months before I moved and got FiOS, ESPN had gone widescreen - and Comcast wasn't letterboxing, it was squashing it into the SD area! To this day, I'm convinced that they did that because sports bars were bitching "why does ESPN have these black bars now".

I very truly hope I don't sound insensitive or anything here, but...

Why do you not have HD cable? It's not like it's that huge of an expense - maybe a few bucks more each month for a standard, non-DVR box. I'm pretty sure most companies offer HD boxes to new customers.

Sorry, but SD content on an HDTV when there's an HD feed available is one of my personal pet peeves. Seriously, I can't count the times I've gone into a bar, and all the HDTVs are tuned to the SD feeds of ESPN or Comcast SportsNet or what have you. I end up telling the bartender "seriously, you want to have channel 576 on, not channel 9". Hell, the last few months before I moved and got FiOS, ESPN had gone widescreen - and Comcast wasn't letterboxing, it was squashing it into the SD area! To this day, I'm convinced that they did that because sports bars were bitching "why does ESPN have these black bars now".

Oh no, you misunderstood. All the TVs in my house have HD Cable from U-verse and I too refuse to watch SD when HD is available. I do the same thing when I am out too (just give me the damn remote),

I don't like HD graphics that are out of the 4:3 Zone. You can broadcast in HD and keep info inside the safe zone. What I'm referring to is the cable news style look where everything is widescreen. I have TVs in the office or studio that aren't HD. So when you take a widescreen picture that is coming through a SD Feed, its usually letterboxed, which I can't stand.

i was watching WTHR sunrise today and saw that the updated graphics are also on the traffic graphics as well. i will try to find pictures of the old one and new ones. and post a reply if i find them if not i will do a screen capture of there live streams and then you can see

I thought I remember reading a long time ago (they got these in the summer of 2008) that they were design by 168 in San Francisco. They are the ones who designed the previous sunset/ sunrise graphics.

Edit: SANewsGuy got to it first.

As for the font, eh.

i found this pdf on the 168 design group website from archive.org the link is https://web.archive.org/web/20041216051411/http://www.168designgroup.com/images/recentwork/WTHR.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hello there, been a long time since I posted (under another name.) I wanted to comment on this. It appears to me that WTHR's weather computers got an upgrade. The maps, etc, look different now so whatever software they use may have had an overhaul as well and so they refreshed their graphics look. You'll see this happen someitmes.

To comment on WTHR's look overall, the background graphics are "ok" but I hate the typeface and the color scheme. It almost looks like they belong to another station's look. They've had their current look going on 5 years now, personally I think they need a change. They've had much better before.

Archived