Is SportsCenter in LA a thing of the past?

Spring Rubber

The week of March 17th - 21st, Neil and Stan did the late SportsCenter from Bristol. My thinking at the time was, "Ok, maybe there's an all-company meeting that requires them to be in Bristol this week."

Then last week, Neil and Stan were both off, and Kenny Mayne and some other guy were anchoring. I was like, "Ok, I guess Neil and Stan went on vacation after their meeting in Bristol; they'll probably be back next week in LA."

Now tonight, Neil is back from vacation and is anchoring alongside Kenny Mayne, still in Bristol.

Back when the upcoming new SportsCenter studio was first announced last year, I posed the question, "With something this technologically advanced, how will they manage to create a functional replica in LA? That would be way too expensive!"

Is this the answer to my question? Did they silently kill off SportsCenter in LA?

EDIT: After posting this, the thought occurred to me that they might have started work on the LA replica of the upcoming SportsCenter set design. I imagine space is limited at LA Live, so the new set will probably have to be in the same studio as the old set, so they might have torn down the old set and started work on the new set. Wikipedia says (can't find a source) that the new SportsCenter set in Bristol will debut this spring (presumably in time for the World Cup). If that's true, the timetable would make sense, and they might indeed have torn down the SportsCenter LA set to build a replica of the upcoming new Bristol set.

How many studios does ESPN have in LA? I don't normally watch SportsCenter but I take it broadcasts from a different studio than NBA Countdown (http://www.newscaststudio.com/2012/12/26/espn-updates-nba-countdown-with-new-digs-and-graphics/) which was redone in 2012. If they do have more than one there would be no reason why they couldn't use the NBA Countdown set during a remodel seeing as there is no permanent branding so I'm guessing there would be some other reason why it's broadcasting from Bristol.

If there is at least three studios then it doesn't make sense that they are broadcasting from Bristol. Maybe it's something where they wanted them all in one location for uniformity.

Probably. The other deal is I think the SC studio is the smallest one of the three. Sportsnation can hold small audiences but it has a goofy design and I think the NBA set is tailored to the NBA. ESPN is the biggest waster of set monies.

It's probably a combination of a new set being installed, meetings that required the LA based talent to go back to Bristol and maybe some rehearsals. No way they ditch L.A. after all the money they poured into getting the place set up.

• 3 weeks later...

Over a month later, and Neil and Stan are still doing the overnight show from Bristol. Either they built a replica of the new SportsCenter set in LA and can't reveal it until the Bristol one debuts, or SportsCenter is back in Bristol exclusively. I guess we'll find out when the new Bristol SportsCenter set debuts later in the year.

Over a month later, and Neil and Stan are still doing the overnight show from Bristol. Either they built a replica of the new SportsCenter set in LA and can't reveal it until the Bristol one debuts, or SportsCenter is back in Bristol exclusively. I guess we'll find out when the new Bristol SportsCenter set debuts later in the year.

mmm I think that there either bringing SportsCenter exclusivity back to Bristol, or their building a new SC set in LA, but can't unveil it until the Bristol one debuts, I'm not sure what ESPN is thinking

• 1 month later...

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2014/05/digital-center-2-fiber-cutting/

They did indeed tear down the old LA set to build a smaller replica of the upcoming new Bristol set. The new Bristol set will launch on Sunday June 22nd, and it sounds like the LA version will debut the following night on Monday the 23rd.

Archived