Scripps graphics refresh?

A3N

Don't know how long they've been using these, but KGTV has tweaked the Scripps graphics for their 11pm news promo. The L3's look horrible, but the other graphic does not look bad. The funny thing is that the tease a few minutes before the 11pm news used the regular graphics. Not sure if this is an isolated thing at KGTV, or if it's part of an upcoming refresh...

capture_20140502_225612_zps1845a6f5.jpg

capture_20140502_230856_zps1a07e08e.jpg

capture_20140502_231426_zps60913880.jpg

That would be a pretty significant refresh if those two screencaps are to be any indication. Those new L3's look nothing like the current ones and if I didn't know any better then I would say that it's a completely new package. But in NO WAY do those lower thirds look good. They're huge and I hate it when the story title bar is as big as those text bars.

At least that social media box would be gone.

I actually like that super.

But it would make sense if a refresh was imminent. WKBW will be coming into the stable soon, so it makes sense. Not to mention the fact the graphics are going on two years old now.

But it would make sense if a refresh was imminent. WKBW will be coming into the stable soon, so it makes sense. Not to mention the fact the graphics are going on two years old now.

The gold lasted 3 years, the current ones are 2 already, they love to refresh graphics (WXYZ has had a new package every 2 years since the late 90's). I suspect they are testing them in San Diego. The L3's are awful, I will be glad to be rid of the Social Media Box and CNN look if this comes to pass. They have a major national 4pm news show for fall plus WKBW and the Detroit Duopoly so with all that going on a new look would seem highly appropriate. I do like the city effect in the title card shot. Did they have a new open or just the normal thing?

The gold lasted 3 years, the current ones are 2 already, they love to refresh graphics (WXYZ has had a new package every 2 years since the late 90's). I suspect they are testing them in San Diego. The L3's are awful, I will be glad to be rid of the Social Media Box and CNN look if this comes to pass. They have a major national 4pm news show for fall plus WKBW and the Detroit Duopoly so with all that going on a new look would seem highly appropriate. I do like the city effect in the title card shot. Did they have a new open or just the normal thing?

Nope same open. The thing is that KGTV previous to the Scripps pack had two different graphics packages in use at the same time. They had the refreshed Hothaus (from the 2008 pack) and they had introduced some new promo graphics/programming lineup graphics that were white/gold and grey/gold, they were very nice but they never made it to the newscasts. So given their track record with new/updated graphics, i'm a bit confused as to if these are just for promos or if they will eventually make its way to the newscasts. It's not a new look, since you can see elements of the current pack in the second pic, but it seems like they've had enough of the orange and going with blue as their primary color.

Wow has it really almost been two years? But even with WKBW entering, I wouldn't think that one station joining the group would warrant an entirely new/refreshed package. The McGraw-Hill stations were different; that was an entire company's worth of stations joining. But if Scripps wants to roll out new looks every two years, more power to them. Better that than keeping the same look for 5+ years.

Now that I can see it on a full screen and not my phone it looks like an in-house tweak by their Creative Services Department (assuming they have one).

WXYZ has released promo's that don't really match the current graphics package recently beyond font:

This one has a Chain link fence and power lines as elements:

This is one of their new talent promos:

It's the first time I have seen any graphical elements like the fence and power line things though. It's always been footage with lettering overlayed on it. They also put out new wipes in their newscasts which include either tires or gears crossing each other in the middle of the screen or a race car doing a drift across the screen. These are just in the last 2 weeks. I think the Creative Services departments are getting more leeway to customize looks. I'm wondering if they may be allowed to build their own L3's or main elements more regularly now.

This one has a Chain link fence and power lines as elements:

It's the first time I have seen any graphical elements like the fence and power line things though.

Those are stock elements from VideoBlocks.com. I've seen the same elements in at least a half dozen other promos from around the country over the last few months.

Those are stock elements from VideoBlocks.com. I've seen the same elements in at least a half dozen other promos from around the country over the last few months.

I figured it was something like that, the more interesting thing to me is that they started using them instead of the giant text cheaply filling the screen. The stock elements are a vast improvement over something that looks like it isn't major market caliber. It almost looked like something from a documentary preview really. I hope it goes beyond this one story or the May book.

Archived