Fox beefing up on local news

The Frog

Fox Television Stations said today that it will expand its local news offerings in nine markets this year: Los Angeles; Philadelphia; Washington; Atlanta; Minneapolis; Phoenix; Charlotte, N.C.; Memphis; and Austin, Texas.

With the additions, which total 29½ hours, FTS will broadcast 885 hours of local news per week.

In making the announcement, Jack Abernethy, CEO of Fox Television Stations said: “Uninformed critics say big companies are cutting local news. However, the opposite is true at Fox. We are expanding in a big way.”

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/77308/fox-stations-beef-up-local-news-in-9-markets

WJZY is getting an AWFUL lot of newscasts simultaneously. An hour-long broadcast at 6, full morning news 4:30-9 and on weekends. Basically they're suddenly ramping up to full newscast productions.

And this bothers me because I don't think they're ready. I think WTXF expanded way too fast, and that was an established news department!

WJZY is getting an AWFUL lot of newscasts simultaneously. An hour-long broadcast at 6, full morning news 4:30-9 and on weekends. Basically they're suddenly ramping up to full newscast productions.

And this bothers me because I don't think they're ready. I think WTXF expanded way too fast, and that was an established news department!

Nice...now poor Carolinans are going to hear "Hey hey, Carolina" before the crack of dawn :-(

An extra half hour of news, wooooo!!! It's not like many of these stations had to add newscasts to begin with, since they already lead their markets in the amount of news programming they produce.

And no, WJZY is not ready for more "newscasts". They already have enough problems producing their current "newscast".

And I think that's a problem with the Fox O&Os. Quantity is not quality. I'd rather have a station with three focused news blocks, and not half the day programming news with a spread-thin staff.

And I think that's a problem with the Fox O&Os. Quantity is not quality. I'd rather have a station with three focused news blocks, and not half the day programming news with a spread-thin staff.

I think the news direction at WJZY makes it one of the most ill-conceived new major market news operations in years.

So in other words....they're getting a lot of AWFUL newscasts simultaneously! (I couldn't resist....) :rofl!: :rofl!:

It's surprising to see that Memphis is getting them too....although I think Cox would be keeping them after the swap takes place.

So in other words....they're getting a lot of AWFUL newscasts simultaneously! (I couldn't resist....) :rofl!: :rofl!:

It's surprising to see that Memphis is getting them too....although I think Cox would be keeping them after the swap takes place.

How do you know the format is going to be the same as the 10? They may very well use a traditional format in the morning.

Sure hoping a weekend morning newscast is coming to WNYW, here in NYC.

You beat me to it, I was praying that would be part of the statement, but it wasn't sadly. WNYW definitely has the right talent to make it happen, all they really have to do is hire another meteorologist.

Also (slightly changing the topic), I guess the weekend morning briefs begin this weekend? I wonder who will anchor those (Antwan, Christina, Rosanna, Greg, Kerry Drew, Linda Schmidt, Sharon Crowley) and who will do the weather (Audrey, Mike, or Nick?)

How do you know the format is going to be the same as the 10? They may very well use a traditional format in the morning.

Given their space, talent pool, and sound direction by Abernethy and Company (or lack thereof).....I'm not expecting any miracles. And by doing something different then at 10pm would produce a product just like everyone else in Charlotte. They are the FIFTH news operation and will be the FOURTH doing all-local weekday mornings having to compete with WCCB and WSOC's extension on WAXN as well as WBTV's extension on BounceTV (3.2).

They may very well use a traditional format in the morning.

I believe that they are planning to go the more traditional route in the morning. They are building a separate studio for the morning. The 6pm show will most likely be in the newsroom, and will probably have a format similar to the 10pm. They have changed plans before though.

Archived