Bianna Golodryga leaves GMA Weekend for Yahoo

LarryFlick

Gotta admit that I was surprised that Golodryga bid farewell to GMA Weekends today in order to work for Katie Couric at Yahoo. Seems like a sizable risk.

Not surprised, though, to read that Paula Farris is replacing BG. Her star has been on the rise at ABC for a while.

Thoughts?

Gotta admit that I was surprised that Golodryga bid farewell to GMA Weekends today in order to work for Katie Couric at Yahoo. Seems like a sizable risk.

Not surprised, though, to read that Paula Farris is replacing BG. Her star has been on the rise at ABC for a while.

Thoughts?

We had some discussion about it here...

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/13988-rob-marciano-joins-abc-news-as-senior-meteorologist/&do=findComment&comment=115211

And to clarify, she isn't working for Katie, she is working with Katie.

I'm excited to see Paula anchor, I think she will so great. Now let's get Rebecca in the weekend WN chair!

I watched the show yesterday. I think they were more sad to see her go than the viewers were. She's a nice woman, but I never really got too attached to her. I won't miss her much. Wondering if Rob Marcianno will be starting next week end.

I don't know why would anyone go to Yahoo.news. I just hope they pay really well. Because I don't think she will get too much exposure there. She might as well kiss her TV career goddbye.

I don't know why would anyone go to Yahoo.news. I just hope they pay really well. Because I don't think she will get too much exposure there. She might as well kiss her TV career goddbye.

Yeah, this move almost makes less sense to me than when Kate Snow left the same program for a non-anchoring role at NBC. Hell, Snow is on a big three network and she has as much exposure now as Golodryga will have at Yahoo.

Sometimes journalists just want to do some serious reporting and have the flexibility to cover a range of stories. With digital reporting, you can do that and not be told to cut your 10 minute interview down to 2 minutes.

Yahoo seems to be making big investments in this type of reporting and, let's face it, this is where audiences are beginning to turn to for news and will continue to do so.

I watched the show yesterday. I think they were more sad to see her go than the viewers were. She's a nice woman, but I never really got too attached to her. I won't miss her much. Wondering if Rob Marcianno will be starting next week end.

I like her but I never felt attached to her as a viewer. She's nice but her delivery was just never inspiring. Dan Harris is just perfect he has the right amount of wit and candidness to impress everyone who watches. Even Sara has a better on air presence.

I like her but I never felt attached to her as a viewer. She's nice but her delivery was just never inspiring. Dan Harris is just perfect he has the right amount of wit and candidness to impress everyone who watches. Even Sara has a better on air presence.

Agreed. I kinda wish Dan was the newsreader for the weekday edition of GMA and Robach was moved to Nightline. Dan has so much more chemistry and wit with the weekday crew and brings more to the table.

But everyone on this forum has hit the nail on the head. Bad move for Biana because there's much less exposure but good move if she likes to do longer pieces which don't need to be edited down.

Yahoo News needs to find a way to distribute their product beyond Yahoo. YouTube would be the best option but for obvious reasons that's not happening.

Well it's easy to say it's a bad move for Bianna but none of us know the details of the arrangement. Maybe ABC wanted to get rid of her. Maybe Yahoo offered her more money and more flexibility. Maybe she wanted an easier work schedule rather than having to work weekends. She does have a young child.

Her exposure and audience reach may not be the only thing she cares about.

Even if you can make a 10 minute interview on the internet, instead of a 2 minute interview on a broadcast show, let's not forget that the internet "public" will skip to something else right away if they are bored in the first 30 seconds. I think that in a few years from now, nobody will remember Katie Couric, or Bianna, if all they do is work on the internet.

Even if you can make a 10 minute interview on the internet, instead of a 2 minute interview on a broadcast show, let's not forget that the internet "public" will skip to something else right away if they are bored in the first 30 seconds. I think that in a few years from now, nobody will remember Katie Couric, or Bianna, if all they do is work on the internet.

Nobody will remember Katie Couric? Are you kidding me?

Right.. Because more and more people are tuning in to television for news and entertainment, right? WRONG.

The Internet is (and has been for 10 years) the way to go in terms of news and entertainment publishing and distribution. Find a group of high school and/or college students today (aka your viewer in 10 years) and ask if they get their news online or on television. Maybe a handful will say they tune into Today/Good Morning America in the morning but a majority would say it's all online or whatever Jon Stewart is talking about.

Look at the audiences that Kimmel and Fallon have built through their viral videos on YouTube. Check out Vice News or The Young Turks. All niche audiences, yes, but all wildly popular and profitable and turning new media stars into household names.

I agree that young people don't get their news from television. But if you get your news from John Stewart, Jimmy Fallon and the likes, you're not gonna watch old style interviews with Katie Couric. If your news comes from social networks, you read the headlines, between your friend's selfies and baby pictures.

Archived